Carter Young

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Re: Carter Young

Post by MrMemorial »

It does seem like it took a miserably failed bunt attempt for Corbs to tire of CY and make the change.

I like all of our players, but my mother-in-law could have laid that bunt down better, even when she was in a neck brace after surgery. I'm not joining the Bird-Floyd-187187 club but calling it the way it unfortunately is.

VandyManners
Lieutenant

Post by VandyManners »

MrMemorial wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:53 pm It does seem like it took a miserably failed bunt attempt for Corbs to tire of CY and make the change.

I like all of our players, but my mother-in-law could have laid that bunt down better, even when she was in a neck brace after surgery. I'm not joining the Bird-Floyd-187187 club but calling it the way it unfortunately is.
Will you please make a video of your mother in law, in a neck brace trying to lay down a bunt? I think that would be awesome. I would totally watch that. That has TikToc written all over it....
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

VandyManners wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:43 pm
MrMemorial wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:53 pm It does seem like it took a miserably failed bunt attempt for Corbs to tire of CY and make the change.

Will you please make a video of your mother in law, in a neck brace trying to lay down a bunt? I think that would be awesome. I would totally watch that. That has TikToc written all over it....

I totally agree that's promising TicTok material, but ONLY if she's successful.
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

Carter would have made the play in the hole in the second inning and would have tried to throw that kid out at the plate on that one hopper.
Even Vandybird could see last night, with his 6 million dollars, that Carter is our best shortstop. Vandybird, how do you know about the D2 school in Washington? What does your vendetta stem from? Your hatred for a kid goes way back. JUST STOP. You are an adult. Let it be.
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

PS......we are 1-2 with Carter out of the lineup.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

... with him, we'd be 3-0!...?

Same logic with plus/minus, in which players are credited for point differential for the time they are on the court, regardless of how they play
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

That was a big play in the second inning. I agree Young would have caught the runner who was really in no-man’s land when the ball was fielded.

I watched Young’s two at-bats with interest. He did not get a hit. But he made contact both times. He did not strike out or try to launch.

I took that as “message received.” Although I know nothing about whether any actual message was sent.

We are obviously missing Hewitt’s bat. But with Hewitt out I would not be shocked if today’s lineup put Young back at short, Diaz at third and Noland at DH. That’s what I’d do, anyway.
Vandybird
Petty Officer

Post by Vandybird »

Selah WA is less than 35 miles from CWU campus (D2 roster) in Ellensburg. Odds are he could transfer and play. V-bilt is 2 & 2 in the last 4 games with Diaz as the starting SS. Game 1 vs LSU .... the Vandy boys were outhit 16 to 8. The scoring by each team was representative of the # of hits .... no ballplayer would have made a difference. Game 2 vs LSU .... both Diaz & #9 were hitless .... & both were non-factors. Once Diaz gets comfortable as the starting SS .... his bat should warm up. C Young has had 2 1/3 seasons to get his bat to produce. His Freshman year was short (18 early games vs creampuff opponents).... his 2021 early season BA bump was replicated his sophomore season but he ended up .252 .... this season he's batting just .200 .... abt 25 points lower than I anticipated but then he was hitting .300 early in the season .... abt 40 points lower than the 2 previous years vs "early creampuff teams". Opponents have had 2 1/3 seasons to write a book on each of the Juniors on the Vandy team .... it may only get more difficult.
Last edited by Vandybird on Sat May 21, 2022 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

A 70 year old man spewing venom towards a kid’s struggles/inability to play a game reveals his true character! This is a VU fan forum and I don’t see any “homers” looking at this situation with gold-tinted glasses. You claim to be objective, yet your exuberance in spouting your take is disturbing and bordering on a personality disorder. You are a new poster whose posts have had one subject….demeaning Carter Young! I’m surprised and disappointed you continue to be allowed to make the same comments ad infinitum. I risk being banned, myself, by posting my objective opinion on this matter.
roanoke
Admiral

ReLineup Shakeup Alert

Post by roanoke »

Bradfield
Jones
Keegan
Bulger
Vaz
Noland
Kolwyck
Polk
Young

I like this. Diaz gets the day off - but nothing serious. Polk in at DH. Hewitt is hurt & we miss his bat - but Polk is pretty good. I really like moving up Jones and Keegan.

I might flip Vaz and Noland just to protect Dom a tad. Vaz doesn’t strike out - and that makes it harder to pitch around Dom. I wonder if LSU’s lineup influenced this? Putting the best three right up front has gotten our pitchers off to shaky outings. Let’s see if we can return the favor?
Vandybird
Petty Officer

Post by Vandybird »

I've seen several recent posts in this thread alone that are inaccurate. I pointed out that 4 games had passed since #9 began watching from the bench (not 3). My posts haven't been venemous. 1 of my mottos has been to be honest & rely on facts when making a point in an argument. Diaz was a more "heralded" recruit out of California than Young from Washington. California is a state from which more than 20% of all major leaguers come from. Historically that number is closer to 25%. Diaz has a great deal of upside given he's a Freshman starter. Young's offensive stats YOY have trended lower. They are near carbon copies as far as size .... both could carry more weight on their 5'11" frames. A little bit of thought surrounding their potential to improve Vanderbilt next year .... objective votes would be cast for Diaz. Given Young's .201 BA .... there isn't an MLB scout today who would encourage their team to draft him next month. An excellent barometer to judge draft value exiting Vanderbilt is the 1100 OPS of infielder Austin Martin in 2019 .... compared to C Young of 700 OPS in 2022. Martin was a top 5 pick drafted in the 1st round. His BA in 2019 was abt .400 .... close double what Young has hit this season (prob lower w/ SEC & NCAA playoffs ahead). I believe Diaz is the future SS for Vanderbilt .... unless he is somehow beat out by one of the 2022 recruits .... distinctly possible.
Last edited by Vandybird on Mon May 23, 2022 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

STOP.
commadore
Admiral

Re: ReLineup Shakeup Alert

Post by commadore »

roanoke wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 12:04 pm Bradfield
Jones
Keegan
Bulger
Vaz
Noland
Kolwyck
Polk
Young

I like this. Diaz gets the day off - but nothing serious. Polk in at DH. Hewitt is hurt & we miss his bat - but Polk is pretty good. I really like moving up Jones and Keegan.

I might flip Vaz and Noland just to protect Dom a tad. Vaz doesn’t strike out - and that makes it harder to pitch around Dom. I wonder if LSU’s lineup influenced this? Putting the best three right up front has gotten our pitchers off to shaky outings. Let’s see if we can return the favor?
BTW, what is the matter with Hewett?
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Hewett is injured and getting better but not back obviously. Any better hitting is welcome.
Locked Previous topicNext topic