Commits for 2022

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

GooseJones15
Lieutenant

Commits for 2022

Post by GooseJones15 »

Well we got 7 of the top 20 high school prospects committed for next year! Should be ok, if we can get 4 or more signed. Think we will get some of them

OldDude
Vice Admiral

Re: Commits for 2022

Post by OldDude »

Recruiting has to be a nightmare for college baseball coaches. Competing with other schools, then getting the commitment and then having to wait out the draft going after your best commits.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

OldDude wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:45 pm Recruiting has to be a nightmare for college baseball coaches. Competing with other schools, then getting the commitment and then having to wait out the draft going after your best commits.
And now stealing stars via the portal- not your grandfater's game.
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

Who do you think we will get to come to campus? Seems to me we are once again going to get raided by the draft
GooseJones15
Lieutenant

Post by GooseJones15 »

I think that chances of signing Lesko and Jones are slim. Think we got a great chance of signing SCHULTZ Barriera, Dutkanych, Stewart,and Clifford
VandyManners
Lieutenant

Post by VandyManners »

GooseJones15 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:18 pm I think that chances of signing Lesko and Jones are slim. Think we got a great chance of signing SCHULTZ Barriera, Dutkanych, Stewart,and Clifford
Can we not sign Jones and Lesko to a nice NIL deal? Seems like I keep hearing about all these other schools signing kids with nice NIL deals, why not us. Last time I checked Vandy did have some pretty wealthy graduates. Seems like if all college sports are now legally paying for players, can we not get some of these highly recruited athletes in all sports? We know Vandy has money. I am willing to admit I don't know how all this works.
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

We're going to get crushed in this draft. We have done better than most regarding guys with top 50 grades, but top 20 is a different ballgame. Rocker and Leiter come to mind recently, but for every guy like that you get, you lose 10.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

I wonder how many millions of $ it would take to entice Jones(or others) to play at VU instead of bouncing around the minors for 3 years? We’ve probably lost more players to the draft than any school in the last 10 years! We’ve seen all it takes is a wealthy consortium to make it happen!
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

VandyManners wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:07 am Last time I checked Vandy did have some pretty wealthy graduates.
The problem is not just having wealthy alums; it's having wealthy alums who are totally obsessed with college sports.
Our alum who is CEO of a civil engineering firm in Munich is not the same asset to the AD as the guy who went to UT and owns Cousin Bubba's Big Orange Paving and Excavating in Knoxville.
How many times have you seen a $750,000 motor coach painted black and gold and sporting the star V? But go to a bowl game where Alabama is playing and you will see a whole parking lot city of them painted all in crimson and elephants.
It takes a special combination of wealth and monomania to be a big $ booster.
Locked Previous topicNext topic