Former Vandy assistant Travis Jewett fired at Tulane

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Former Vandy assistant Travis Jewett fired at Tulane

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

He was the Dores' hitting coach and recruiting coordinator from 2013 to 2016. Immensely well-liked and respected.

Versus75
Admiral

Re: Former Vandy assistant Travis Jewett fired at Tulane

Post by Versus75 »

Probably not a good idea to fire someone in the Corbin chain, but I’m guessing Jewett will get another offer.

Overall winning record (30-22-1 this season), but no conference titles or NCAA appearances.

https://crescentcitysports.com/tulane-p ... is-jewett/

Likely has to find a new job for Brian Harris as well.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Tulane is an interesting job. Good local talent and excellent facilities, but has had enough success historically (two CWS appearances, in 2001 and 2005, and multiple appearances in the tournament in the 80s, 90s, and early Aughts) that the fans are pretty demanding.
HopsLikeHolwerda
Lieutenant

Post by HopsLikeHolwerda »

I honestly think he comes back to Vandy. Pretty soon, we will have the ability to hire more paid assistants. TJ would be an ideal target, especially as a recruiting coordinator.

Personally, I think Corbs, Brown and Baxter are all too similar. Vey straight-laced, and almost up-tight. Jewett is the fiery guy they need back in the program. He's not over-the-top like Vitello, but a very good balance for Corbs/Brown.
MrGreenie
Seaman Recruit

Post by MrGreenie »

Versus75 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:33 pm Probably not a good idea to fire someone in the Corbin chain, but I’m guessing Jewett will get another offer.

Overall winning record (30-22-1 this season), but no conference titles or NCAA appearances.

https://crescentcitysports.com/tulane-p ... is-jewett/

Likely has to find a new job for Brian Harris as well.
LOL

So Tulane should be stuck with a head coach that can’t win because he’s apart of Tim Corbin’s tree? What a ridiculous thing to say. As someone who has followed Tulane extremely closely, I can say that Travis Jewett was in way over his head as a Head Coach. I’d be stunned if anyone ever gives him another chance to be the head guy. It was obvious pretty early on in his 1st year that he had a lot to learn, he improved but not nearly enough. He had the worst winning percentage among Tulane baseball coaches of the last 60 years
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

30-22-1 at a major is possibly enough to get a new landing spot at a mid-major. Examples: APSU is 19-33 this season. ut-Martin is 11-34. North Alabama which was a D-2 baseball power is 12-38 this season in D-1.
Locked Previous topicNext topic