UT getting Nashville area recruiting commits

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

DS2001
Rear Admiral

UT getting Nashville area recruiting commits

Post by DS2001 »

Tony Vitello's recent success at Tenn. looks to be paying dividends in the Nashville area as the Vols have secured 8 commitments for the next few years including a Freshman at CPA.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/sports/ut ... abec0.html

commadore
Admiral

Re: UT getting Nashville area recruiting commits

Post by commadore »

How many 5 stars do they have?
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Only the top 4 of Tennessee’s 2022 recruits have a PerfectGame.org rating. The 3 recruits from Tennessee (all unrated) are 9th, 13th and 16th in the class.

Seven of the 15 2023 recruits are from Tennessee; the only PG rated player is from Sevierville.

And UT has 3 Class of 2024 commitments from PG-rated Tennessee players. They are from Knoxvile(2) and Chattanooga.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Per XIV Powers, our 2022 class has:
8 five stars
4 four stars
5 three stars
2 two stars

One of the twos is from Tennessee. One of the threes is from Tennessee. Our recruits come from 10 states and Puerto Rico.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

VU did pick up a commitment from 2024 Ensworth P Connor Cobb today.
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

Corbs can get anyone of these that he wants......he has high standards though.
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

Don't discount what Vitello is doing over there. Baseball America's recruiting ranks came out last week and UT is #5. VU is #3, so Corbs isn't going away, but you can't deny UT's recruiting is right there with the elites.
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

Sometimes kids are UT fans their whole lives (gag) and it's their lifelong dream to play for UT (retch).

I'm surprised about Hunter High from Lipscomb Academy signing with UT. His father used to be the associate athletic director at Lipscomb University. I would have thought he would have been a shoo-in to sign with Lipscomb. Corey Joseph went to Lipscomb and made it big in MLB. He was an exceptional student, so he could have gone anywhere.

Vitello has done a good job recruiting and he's heavily recruiting the Nashville area. I don't know if that's because Corbs doesn't think those players would fit his system, so he didn't recruit them, or if Vitello just out-recruited him for those guys.
katmai
Rear Admiral

Post by katmai »

Commodoredave wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:29 am Don't discount what Vitello is doing over there. Baseball America's recruiting ranks came out last week and UT is #5. VU is #3, so Corbs isn't going away, but you can't deny UT's recruiting is right there with the elites.
I think Vitello is doing a good job, and is certainly better than the last couple of coaches that UT has had. I certainly wanted to see him leave. The only player from Tennessee that UT signed in 2021 that I wished Vanderbilt signed was Chase Burns.

I don't get Baseball America, so I can't see their rankings, but Perfect Game had Vanderbilt ranked #2 - with 18 commitments, 5 in the Top 100 and an average player ranking of 8.33, vs. UT #5 - with 20 players, 2 in the Top 100, and average ranking of 4.95, considerably lower than the top 4 classes, who all had an average of 7.5 or greater. 2021 breaks a streak where Vanderbilt has had the #1 class since 2017, and currently has the #1 class for 2022 (and 2023), with TEN players in the Top 100 for 2022. As long as Corbin is at Vanderbilt, they are like Alabama football for recruiting. Things can change, but UT's 2022 and 2023 classes currently are outside the Top 10 and in the bottom third of the SEC. UT is losing a lot off their 2021 team, so Vitello may be wishing he left as well in a couple of years.

https://www.perfectgame.org/rankings/re ... kings.aspx
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Commodoredave wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:29 am Don't discount what Vitello is doing over there. Baseball America's recruiting ranks came out last week and UT is #5. VU is #3, so Corbs isn't going away, but you can't deny UT's recruiting is right there with the elites.
Who is 1 and 2? Tried to look but need a premium subscription.
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

Uf beat out VU by only 2 ranking points, followed distantly by Ark, UCLA and UT. Interesting that ole Miss St comes in at a very distant 21
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

cjdore wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:00 pm Uf beat out VU by only 2 ranking points, followed distantly by Ark, UCLA and UT. Interesting that ole Miss St comes in at a very distant 21
Where was NC State on this list? I see in Perfect Game they were ranked 17th, with us #1.
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

commadore wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:06 am
cjdore wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:00 pm Uf beat out VU by only 2 ranking points, followed distantly by Ark, UCLA and UT. Interesting that ole Miss St comes in at a very distant 21
Where was NC State on this list? I see in Perfect Game they were ranked 17th, with us #1.
NC State is still #17
Locked Previous topicNext topic