Bryan Reynolds

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Bryan Reynolds

Post by cjdore »

Was watching the Pirates play the Reds on TV yesterday, and saw the stat of the day for VU fans.....Bryan is leading the national league in batting average with a .340!!

Versus75
Admiral

Re: Bryan Reynolds / Walker Buehler

Post by Versus75 »

Sorry to burst your bubble, CJ. While I agree that Bryan is having an excellent year, he is not batting .340 or leading the league. He is sixth at .308 through Sunday. The Pirates did not play Monday. I don't know what you might have heard from the broadcast ... maybe .340 over a certain stretch of games.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leag ... ders.shtml

Meanwhile, I'm watching Walker Buehler in the NL Cy Young Award contest.

Walker is 4th in WAR, 1st in ERA, 3rd in Wins, 1st in Win-Loss Pct., 4th in WHIP, 2nd in Games Started, 2nd in Innings Pitched and 8th in Strikeouts.

Zack Wheeler, Wade Miley, Kevin Gausman and Brandon Woodruff seem to be the main competition, though Jacob DeGrom is having what would be a record-smashing season if he had pitched enough innings. DeGrom has dealt with injuries, but while he was on the mound for 92.0 innings he has an ERA of 1.08 and a WHIP of 0.554 while striking out 14.3 batters per nine innings.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leag ... ders.shtml
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Re: Bryan Reynolds

Post by Commodoredave »

If Reynolds wasn't on the Pirates, he would be generating MVP buzz. That's how good his play has been according to the advanced metrics.

Buehler is squarely in the mix for Cy. He is behind a couple of others, but the gap is shrinking and he has a real shot at leading the league in ERA and Wins. As an added note, Buehler is now a remarkable 36-11 in his young career. He needs to prove that he can go 30-35 starts and win 20 with 220 ip , but he is an elite pitcher in the majors today.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Commodoredave wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:04 am Buehler is squarely in the mix for Cy. He is behind a couple of others, but the gap is shrinking and he has a real shot at leading the league in ERA and Wins. As an added note, Buehler is now a remarkable 36-11 in his young career. He needs to prove that he can go 30-35 starts and win 20 with 220 ip , but he is an elite pitcher in the majors today.
I saw a remarkable stat for Buehler the other day. In his two losses (yeah, I know, a meaningless stat), the Dodgers combined for five hits...and one of the five was Buehler's. The Dodgers have also had some poor bullpen support in his games this year.
Versus75
Admiral

"Anchor Down for Bryan Reynolds...."

Post by Versus75 »

... said the Pirates announcer as Bryan slugged his 21st dinger of the year today (Saturday).

Last night Dansby hit his 21st home run and the Braves color commentator said that Dansby broke the franchise record for home runs in a season by a shortstop that he shared with Denis Menke of the Milwaukee era. Guy still hasn't figured out that Menke did not hit all 20 home runs while playing shortstop. Must not read Vandymania.
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

Buehler not getting any run support again tonight.
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
Levon
Rear Admiral

Re: "Anchor Down for Bryan Reynolds...."

Post by Levon »

Versus75 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:46 pm ... said the Pirates announcer as Bryan slugged his 21st dinger of the year today (Saturday).

Last night Dansby hit his 21st home run and the Braves color commentator said that Dansby broke the franchise record for home runs in a season by a shortstop that he shared with Denis Menke of the Milwaukee era. Guy still hasn't figured out that Menke did not hit all 20 home runs while playing shortstop. Must not read Vandymania.
One our dogs' vets is Dr. Menke. I asked her if she was related to Denis. She said no, that she didn't know who he was, but that I wasn't the first person to ask her. I said I bet they're all old guys, huh? She somewhat sheepishly said yes. Old Guys Rock!
Starkiller
Commander

Post by Starkiller »

commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Starkiller wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:34 pm A good Vanderbilt education
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unXjeeEIack&t=35s
That is the kind of aggressive baserunning that made those Vandyboys teams so fun to watch.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Starkiller wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:34 pm A good Vanderbilt education
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unXjeeEIack&t=35s
Fun play !! Thanks for link.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Bryan — The Human Delay of Game — even had time to stop and re-wrap his batting gloves.
Locked Previous topicNext topic