SEC baseball tournament

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

SEC baseball tournament

Post by LawoftheWest »

Already the new guys on the block are trying to flex their muscles. Oklahoma City is seeking to replace Hoover as the site of the SEC baseball tournament. Oklahoma City is also talking about becoming the home of the women's softball tournament.

Expect more from the new additions from the West. Based upon past experience Texas expects to dominate whatever it is involved in. In my view Texas will try to impose its will on the SEC. Good luck, Texas, coming up against Nick Saban. Of course he will coach only for another 100 years!!!!

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Re: SEC baseball tournament

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

I was having a conversation with someone this week related to this topic. I can see a scenario where the football championship game rotates annually between Atlanta and Arlington or Houston. (Arlington would depend upon what the Big XII does, of course.) I can see the far western schools grumbling about Atlanta being too far to drive.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:39 am I was having a conversation with someone this week related to this topic. I can see a scenario where the football championship game rotates annually between Atlanta and Arlington or Houston. (Arlington would depend upon what the Big XII does, of course.) I can see the far western schools grumbling about Atlanta being too far to drive.
And Texas is a long drive for much of the rest of the SEC. If they wanted close to home, they should have stayed where they were. Screw Texas
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

I don't feel sorry for them. They knew what they were getting in to (or were negligent in not knowing) so they now need to sleep in the bed they made.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

commadore wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:25 pm I don't feel sorry for them. They knew what they were getting in to (or were negligent in not knowing) so they now need to sleep in the bed they made.
Guess what? Now we're in the same bed. This is only the beginning.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Whoever pays the most money will get to host the tourney.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

x

Post by Go Vandy! »

x
Last edited by Go Vandy! on Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Starkiller
Commander

Post by Starkiller »

Texas had the clout to push around the Big 12. The SEC is a different story.

I could see there being more of a rotation of locations for SEC championships/tournaments. But most SEC teams would rather keep things centrally located more often than not.

Also, if there is some rotation, maybe Nashville could get in on the action more outside of just basketball.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

admin wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:51 pm Whoever pays the most money will get to host the tourney.
The amount of money to be paid will certainly be the major factor. In my view, however, other factors include quality and size of the facilities for the games, availability of practice fields, seating (both quality and number of seats), proximity to food and lodging, accessibility and other intangibles.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

Oh c'mon of course the Texas teams (and Oklahoma) will want to heavily influence the league in every imaginable way including location of tournaments and championship games. Did you think these teams joined the SEC just to fit in and participate?

On a bit of a rant, I was born and raised in Nashville and only left for a brief period of time to join and serve in the military. Once we had the migration from other areas (primarily north) of the country everything changed. Suddenly, no one wanted to be associated with this "hayseed" community and "Hee Haw" kind of imagery so it changed in large part to fit their image and it is the cosmopolitan city that it is today (good or bad but different). I see this in much the same light.
Locked Previous topicNext topic