Dansby's having a good night!!! 7-31-21

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

bornadore57
Lieutenant

Dansby's having a good night!!! 7-31-21

Post by bornadore57 »

Dansby just hit his second homer of the game tonight, this one a grand slam. He is three for four on the night with seven RBI's. Braves are beating Milwaukee 8-1 in the bottom of the seventh. Dansby's 20 home runs so far this season may be some sort of milestone for a Braves shortstop, if I am remembering correctly.

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Re: Dansby's having a good night!!! 7-31-21

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

bornadore57 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:19 pm Dansby just hit his second homer of the game tonight, this one a grand slam. He is three for four on the night with seven RBI's. Braves are beating Milwaukee 8-1 in the bottom of the seventh. Dansby's 20 home runs so far this season may be some sort of milestone for a Braves shortstop, if I am remembering correctly.
Correct. Tied for the all-time record in a season for a Braves shortstop.
Versus75
Admiral

Re: Dansby's having a good night!!! 7-31-21

Post by Versus75 »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:31 pm Tied for the all-time record in a season for a Braves shortstop.
I believe Dansby has the record all to himself. I had to go back and look it up year-by-year, because I would have thought Johnny Logan or Al Dark or some one-year free agent in the 1990s would have hit more than 20 home runs in a season as a Braves shortstop.

Can you believe that Jeff Blauser is the Braves' all-time leading home run hitting shortstop? I didn't break down Blauser's home runs by position, but he hit 122 dingers for Atlanta while about 90% of his starts were at shortstop. Logan hit 92 home runs as a Brave.

Were you thinking about Denis Menke, who hit 20 home runs as the Milwaukee Braves'' primary starting shortstop in 1964? Take a look at his Game Log from that season:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... &year=1964

I sorted it by games with home runs and found that Menke, who also started 19 games at second or third, was not the shortstop for all 20 of those round-trippers.

Menke played the entire September 16 game versus St. Louis at second and hit one of his home runs in that game. BTW, Sandy Alomar Sr. was in the six hole that day. Menke started the September 26 game at Philadelphia playing second base and homered before moving to shortstop later in the game. That left Denis Menke with 18 home runs as the shortstop.

(There were a couple games in which he started at 3B or 2B, then homered AFTER switching to shortstop.)

Unless I missed someone else, I'm going to crown Lt. Dans as the Braves' all-time single season leader in home runs by a shortstop!

Jeff Blauser: Don't look over your shoulder.

EDIT: I see that was not on you, Auric. I just watched the highlights of tonight's game and heard one of the Atlanta announcers refer to a tie between Swanson and Menke. That guy should read Vandymania.com.
Locked Previous topicNext topic