Report: Dominic Keegan

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Doreforlife
Seaman

Report: Dominic Keegan

Post by Doreforlife »

oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Re: Report: Dominic Keegan

Post by oakparkDore »

That’s shocking. How great for us! And I can absolutely see how catching will help Don’s pro prospects also. Hopefully a win-win.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Great news.
katmai
Rear Admiral

Post by katmai »

Kendall Rogers reports that Keegan, Thomas and Maldonado will all return next year.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

oakparkDore wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:43 pm That’s shocking. How great for us! And I can absolutely see how catching will help Don’s pro prospects also. Hopefully a win-win.
Bulger is a catcher as well. They could alternate who plays first and who catches. Maybe.

But they both hit the ball pretty good.
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

I am sorry for them. Happy we get to keep them another year.

The CWS really seems to have hurt Keegan and Thomas' stock. Both swung for the fences down the stretch and their averages dipped. There was some uncharacteristic fielding mixed in, too.

The whole team needs to adjust to contact after strike two. We strike out too much - and the off-speed stuff seems to baffle us. In particular Thomas was missing curveballs by a foot in Omaha - and even got benched.

It is not a "dishonor" not to get picked in the first ten rounds - but I had hoped for better for both of them. Maldonado I do not understand at all. He was lights out in Omaha - and down the stretch and it is really surprising that he is still undrafted. All three should shine next year - and upperclass leadership will help.
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

The 11th round can be tricky as teams are now past the 1- round player pool and can pay up for guys. I feel for the guys, and I know they are probably disappointed, but they have another opportunity at VU and still have some leverage from the COVID ruling on eligibility.
HopsLikeHolwerda
Lieutenant

Post by HopsLikeHolwerda »

One thing to remember for both Thomas and Keegan...additional COVID eligibility. EVERYONE got an extra year of eligibility. Thus, even if they get drafted next year, they still have significant negotiating leverage, unlike seniors from previous years.

In short, even next year, they can just say they'll return for a 5th year during negotiations to get their enhanced bonuses. They're just getting an extra year at Vandy to show what they can really do and not losing their future negotiating leverage.
Doresince89
Commander

Post by Doresince89 »

I don't care too much about MLB so I am not a draft junky but I suspect the shortened draft last year and all the kids who should have left with that draft class being pushed to this year has something to do with our players falling back. I think there is an extra pool of talent to choose from this year and some kids we would expect to be gone by now are still there. Although I am a little shocked about Maldo.
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

Davis Diaz, ss signee, drafted in 12th round by Angels.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Gonzo in 17th #515 to the White Sox.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Carter Holton in the 19th round, #567, to the Brewers.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Keegan #573 in 19th to the Yankees.
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

I hate losing CJ, but the draft could not have gone much better for Corbin. We basically have a position starter at every position except C and 3B coming back. Biggest headache is going to be managing the roster now.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

Commodoredave wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:26 pm I hate losing CJ, but the draft could not have gone much better for Corbin. We basically have a position starter at every position except C and 3B coming back. Biggest headache is going to be managing the roster now.
Agree. The pitching part is what worries me..
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Commodoredave wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:26 pm I hate losing CJ, but the draft could not have gone much better for Corbin. We basically have a position starter at every position except C and 3B coming back. Biggest headache is going to be managing the roster now.

Position players will not be a problem. Finding some semblance of an effective pitching staff might be. An extra year of age isn't going to magically transform our returning guys into a group that can get SEC hitters out. I think we'll need some help from some returnees who missed last year due to injury or illness, and we need a couple of frosh to make significant contributions.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

might maldonado be a starter? if so, that's a pretty good start.
VandyPhile
Rear Admiral

Post by VandyPhile »

Managing the roster is, by far, not a new headache for Corbin! What a great problem to perennially have! 😁
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Glad he and the others coming back. Pitching will be a big question mark.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

Kind of a weird tweet by the vubaseball account for a guy coming back. I'm sure just celebrating the fact he was selected but tends to imply he is going. Especially if you hadn't heard he is staying.

SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
Locked Previous topicNext topic