This man should be fired

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

commadore
Admiral

This man should be fired

Post by commadore »

After the game on Friday, North Carolina State coach Elliott Avent grew frustrated and wouldn't answer directly when asked if he or the baseball program encouraged players to be vaccinated.

“My job is to teach them baseball, make sure they get an education and keep them on the right track forward,” he said. “But I don’t try to indoctrinate my kids with my values or my opinions. Obviously, we talk about a lot of things. But these are young men that can make their own decisions and that’s what they did.”

Avent rolled his eyes when asked if he's been vaccinated.

“If you want to talk baseball, we can talk baseball,” he said. “If you want to talk politics or stuff like that, you can go talk to my head of sports medicine, Rob Murphy.”

This is from an AP story by Eric Olson quoted word for word. Corbin teaches the players how to brush their teeth. You think he didn't strongly advise them to get the vaccination? Avent thinks getting the shot is a political statement. I am sorry, that is just stupid. Some may have made it such, but anyone with a brain has not. Anyone in a team setting where the team is paramount, should have gotten the shot. Otherwise, it becomes all about "me."

oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Re: This man should be fired

Post by oakparkDore »

Well said commadore.
dotcommie
Captain

Post by dotcommie »

Totally agree. And add this:

"Avent told reporters Monday an illness was running through the team, but made no mention of it possibly being COVID-19. He said associate head coach Chris Hart had been sick for five or six days and that Jarrett and pitcher Cameron Cotter weren’t feeling well."

Coaches know rules. If they are so undisciplined, they pay the price. If I were a parent of a player on that team that had been vaccinated, I would be livid with this coach's decision making ability. He gambled the fortunes of those kids. This isn't on the NCAA or Omaha. It's on him.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

“If you want to talk baseball, we can talk baseball,” he said. “If you want to talk politics or stuff like that, you can go talk to my head of sports medicine, Rob Murphy.”

Naturally, as Sports Illustrated reported, NC State declined to make Rob Murphy “available for comment.”
DivergentDore
Commander

Post by DivergentDore »

As a covid survivor (first strain and very severe) I also feel the vaccination push is more political than practical and several friends in the medical field strongly agree. However, this has less to do with political motivations than the NCAA postseason stipulations. If all contributing members of a team (players, coaches, trainers, etc) have the vaccination they cannot be subjected to covid testing under any circumstance. All teams knew this and only Vandy played it safe on the field by requiring the vaccination shot. All teams knew the competitive risk and 63 teams gambled. I would be surprised if Miss St and Texas don't have a few cases pop up later on since there is a confirmed (very recent) outbreak of a strain not covered by the vaccines.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What an idiot like person they have coaching the NC State baseball bunch.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
vebiltdervan
Fleet Admiral

Post by vebiltdervan »

DivergentDore wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:34 am As a covid survivor (first strain and very severe) I also feel the vaccination push is more political than practical and several friends in the medical field strongly agree...
Can you explain what you mean there by "practical", if I may ask, DivergentDore?

It's certainly true that there are quite a few in the medical frontlines who have concerns about the vaccines, & believe that they were tested too hurriedly and not enough. But "practical" or "impractical" isn't the right word to describe that, IMHO.
...However, this has less to do with political motivations than the NCAA postseason stipulations. If all contributing members of a team (players, coaches, trainers, etc) have the vaccination they cannot be subjected to covid testing under any circumstance. All teams knew this and only Vandy played it safe on the field by requiring the vaccination shot. All teams knew the competitive risk and 63 teams gambled...[emphasis added]
Very minor point: you make it sound like Covid testing is still an ordeal, something to be avoided. It's not: the swabs are no sweat anymore, not like those original ones that looked like they were collecting samples of the backside of your skull. I assume the coaches all understand this.
...I would be surprised if Miss St and Texas don't have a few cases pop up later on since there is a confirmed (very recent) outbreak of a strain not covered by the vaccines.
Can you supply a link to this claim please? I hit no such story Googling, "(very recent)" or otherwise. My suspicion is that you've misinterpretated a (poorly-worded, no doubt) story about Delta variant cases filling the hospitals again in some states. That creates a potential problem for anyone/everyone, but it doesn't mean that vaccinated folks are catching the Delta Covid.
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

As I've pointed out in another thread, state law probably prohibits him from requiring that the players be vaccinated.

If a UT coach required his players to be vaccinated, he would be fired.

The legislature recently passed this law in Tennessee. It applies to all publicly funded schools, K-12 and higher education.

I have no doubt that the way it was originally drawn up, it would have applied to all private schools, but Vanderbilt's lobbyist probably had it altered.

Welcome to the South, folks.

And don't come down on the NC State coach too hard, because he didn't have the authority to require his team to get the vaccine.
DivergentDore
Commander

Post by DivergentDore »

vebiltdervan wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:11 pm
DivergentDore wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:34 am As a covid survivor (first strain and very severe) I also feel the vaccination push is more political than practical and several friends in the medical field strongly agree...
Can you explain what you mean there by "practical", if I may ask, DivergentDore?

It's certainly true that there are quite a few in the medical frontlines who have concerns about the vaccines, & believe that they were tested too hurriedly and not enough. But "practical" or "impractical" isn't the right word to describe that, IMHO.

My wife's cardiovascular surgeon at Houston Methodist, who is also a family friend and acquaintance through my mother, was telling friends and family this time last year that his colleagues in virology were telling him upcoming (at the time) vaccines would be impractical as they would be chasers only as there is/was too little known to get ahead of the viral mutations. He isn't anti-vax, nor is his colleagues, but they do as a collective think the vaccines are a false sense of security. He was required to take it but did tell us he would have anyway even if it only kept a single patient from contracting it.
...However, this has less to do with political motivations than the NCAA postseason stipulations. If all contributing members of a team (players, coaches, trainers, etc) have the vaccination they cannot be subjected to covid testing under any circumstance. All teams knew this and only Vandy played it safe on the field by requiring the vaccination shot. All teams knew the competitive risk and 63 teams gambled...[emphasis added]
Very minor point: you make it sound like Covid testing is still an ordeal, something to be avoided. It's not: the swabs are no sweat anymore, not like those original ones that looked like they were collecting samples of the backside of your skull. I assume the coaches all understand this.

I've personally been administered 5 covid tests with 3 false positives from the rapid test; and this after having full blown covid last year. While I'm probably an outlier with high proportion of false positives, I think it's safe to assume there are many false positives given.
...I would be surprised if Miss St and Texas don't have a few cases pop up later on since there is a confirmed (very recent) outbreak of a strain not covered by the vaccines.
Can you supply a link to this claim please? I hit no such story Googling, "(very recent)" or otherwise. My suspicion is that you've misinterpretated a (poorly-worded, no doubt) story about Delta variant cases filling the hospitals again in some states. That creates a potential problem for anyone/everyone, but it doesn't mean that vaccinated folks are catching the Delta Covid.
This comes directly from a friend and competitor who has been sitting at home since Monday before last when the shipping warehouse in Omaha he works at had operations suspended over multiple confirmed covid cases across all three working shifts. He is negative but several of his co-workers are positive, some of which were vaccinated. As a side note; he couldn't care less about baseball.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

historybill wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:30 pm As I've pointed out in another thread, state law probably prohibits him from requiring that the players be vaccinated.

If a UT coach required his players to be vaccinated, he would be fired.

The legislature recently passed this law in Tennessee. It applies to all publicly funded schools, K-12 and higher education.

I have no doubt that the way it was originally drawn up, it would have applied to all private schools, but Vanderbilt's lobbyist probably had it altered.

Welcome to the South, folks.

And don't come down on the NC State coach too hard, because he didn't have the authority to require his team to get the vaccine.
He could still say "you have a choice: Get vaccinated or I will remove you from the active roster."
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

Again, I haven't researched the new laws in North Carolina, but if a high school or college coach said that to his team in Tennessee, he or she would lose their job -- and immediately -- after being torn and ripped apart on numerous talk radio programs.

You guys do realize that somewhere in the range of HALF of Tennesseans refuse to get the vaccine, right?
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

There is supposed to be a big difference between a university and talk show blowhards (and politicians who pander to them).
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

historybill wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:30 pm As I've pointed out in another thread, state law probably prohibits him from requiring that the players be vaccinated.

These are the vaccinations mandated by North Carolina state law for incoming college students.
(so apparently, that state is not shy about requiring shots for college students)
-------------------------------------------------------------

Per North Carolina state law, students will be WITHDRAWN FROM THE UNIVERSITY 30 days after classes begin if immunization requirements have not been met.

Immunizations REQUIRED pursuant to North Carolina state law and institutional policy:

• Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis: Individuals entering a college or university must have 3 doses of tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis; one of which must be a Tdap booster (given after 2005).

• Polio: An individual attending school who has attained their 18th birthday is not required to receive polio vaccine.

• *Measles: Two doses at least 28 days apart are required for individuals entering college or university. The requirement for a second dose does not apply to individuals who entered school, college or university for the first time before July 1, 1994. A person who has been diagnosed prior to January 1, 1994 by a physician (or designee such as a nurse practitioner or physician’s assistant) as having measles (rubeola) or an individual who has been documented by serological testing to have a protective antibody titer against measles is not required to receive measles vaccine. Individuals born before 1957 are not required to receive measles vaccine except in measles outbreak situations.

• *Mumps: Two doses are required for individuals entering college or university. A physician's diagnosis is not acceptable for mumps disease(s). Individuals must be immunized or have laboratory confirmation of disease or have been documented by serological testing to have a protective antibody against mumps. Individuals born before 1957 are not required to receive the mumps vaccine. Individuals that entered college or university before July 1, 1994 are not required to receive the vaccine. Individuals that entered school, college, or university before July 1, 2008 are not required to receive the second dose of mumps vaccine.

• *Rubella: One dose is required for individuals entering college or university. A physician's diagnosis is not acceptable for rubella disease(s). Individuals must be immunized or have laboratory confirmation of rubella disease or have been documented by serological testing to have a protective antibody titer against rubella. Any individual who has attained their fiftieth birthday is not required to receive rubella vaccine except in outbreak situations. Any individual who entered college or university after their thirtieth birthday and before February 1, 1989 is not required to receive rubella vaccine except in outbreak situations.

• Hepatitis B: Three doses are required for individuals entering college or university. A 2 dose series of Heplisav-B is acceptable (this vaccine is only available in the United States). Hepatitis B titers are not acceptable for this requirement; students will need to show documentation of completed vaccine series. Hepatitis B vaccine is not required if an individual was born before July 1, 1994.

• Varicella: One dose or proof of laboratory confirmation of varicella disease immunity. Varicella vaccine or proof of immunity is not required if an individual was born before April 1, 2001.

* Two doses of MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) will meet this requirement
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

We're not talking about measles. We are talking about covid.

In southern states, new state laws generally prohibit taxpayer funded institutions (schools, for instance) from requiring COVID vaccinations. That's definitely true in Tennessee, because the legislature rammed that thru a few months ago (HB 0013/SB 187). Had this bill passed in its original form (before lobbyists had it amended), then Coach Tim Corbin would have been prohibited from requiring the team to all get vaccinated.

I suspect this happened in every southern state. So I suspect Vanderbilt is the only college in the SEC where the athletes have to get vaccinated.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

historybill wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:30 pm Again, I haven't researched the new laws in North Carolina, but if a high school or college coach said that to his team in Tennessee, he or she would lose their job -- and immediately -- after being torn and ripped apart on numerous talk radio programs.

You guys do realize that somewhere in the range of HALF of Tennesseans refuse to get the vaccine, right?
He didn't require a shot. He gave a choice. The person would not be kicked out of school. Simply would not be playing on the team. I doubt that would cause a dismissal.
Last edited by commadore on Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bernstml19
Lieutenant

Post by bernstml19 »

Amazing how politicized the whole situation became. Regardless of your faction communist or fascist...the vaccine saves lives and continues to do so. While the variants are in some cases slightly reducing efficacy, they are still extremely effective. Something like 99% of severe cases of Delta variant are unvaccinated.

Living here in Nashville and SMH watching the south's response to the vaccine.

It's also worth noting that the mRna vaccine is one of the great innovations of our time.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Unfortunately, historybill is right. My compassionate side, small that it is in this case, does hope that somehow knuckledragging nitwits have natural immunity to covid though I won't lose any sleep over the consequences of their ignorance.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

DivergentDore wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:34 am As a covid survivor (first strain and very severe) I also feel the vaccination push is more political than practical and several friends in the medical field strongly agree. However, this has less to do with political motivations than the NCAA postseason stipulations. If all contributing members of a team (players, coaches, trainers, etc) have the vaccination they cannot be subjected to covid testing under any circumstance. All teams knew this and only Vandy played it safe on the field by requiring the vaccination shot. All teams knew the competitive risk and 63 teams gambled. I would be surprised if Miss St and Texas don't have a few cases pop up later on since there is a confirmed (very recent) outbreak of a strain not covered by the vaccines.
What specialties in the medical field?
Infectious disease? Critical care? Pulmonology?
Or dental hygenists?
Did they volunteer this idiocy independently, or just decide not to get in an argument over flat Earth conspiracies and similar delusions?

Vaccination is a medical treatment. It is only political in the minds of people who want to make a Red-Blue fight over every single thing in life.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

bernstml19 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:32 pm It's also worth noting that the mRna vaccine is one of the great innovations of our time.
Except for the nanobots that allow Big Data to track your preferences and influence your thoughts (you'd think that posting such nonsense on social media would constitute a lethal dose of irony, but these people are apparently immune).
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

MrMemorial wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:24 pm

These are the vaccinations mandated by North Carolina state law for incoming college students.
(so apparently, that state is not shy about requiring shots for college students)
-------------------------------------------------------------

Per North Carolina state law, students will be WITHDRAWN FROM THE UNIVERSITY 30 days after classes begin if immunization requirements have not been met.

Immunizations REQUIRED pursuant to North Carolina state law and institutional policy:

• Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis: Individuals entering a college or university must have 3 doses of tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis; one of which must be a Tdap booster (given after 2005).

• Polio: An individual attending school who has attained their 18th birthday is not required to receive polio vaccine.

• *Measles: Two doses at least 28 days apart are required for individuals entering college or university. The requirement for a second dose does not apply to individuals who entered school, college or university for the first time before July 1, 1994. A person who has been diagnosed prior to January 1, 1994 by a physician (or designee such as a nurse practitioner or physician’s assistant) as having measles (rubeola) or an individual who has been documented by serological testing to have a protective antibody titer against measles is not required to receive measles vaccine. Individuals born before 1957 are not required to receive measles vaccine except in measles outbreak situations.

• *Mumps: Two doses are required for individuals entering college or university. A physician's diagnosis is not acceptable for mumps disease(s). Individuals must be immunized or have laboratory confirmation of disease or have been documented by serological testing to have a protective antibody against mumps. Individuals born before 1957 are not required to receive the mumps vaccine. Individuals that entered college or university before July 1, 1994 are not required to receive the vaccine. Individuals that entered school, college, or university before July 1, 2008 are not required to receive the second dose of mumps vaccine.

• *Rubella: One dose is required for individuals entering college or university. A physician's diagnosis is not acceptable for rubella disease(s). Individuals must be immunized or have laboratory confirmation of rubella disease or have been documented by serological testing to have a protective antibody titer against rubella. Any individual who has attained their fiftieth birthday is not required to receive rubella vaccine except in outbreak situations. Any individual who entered college or university after their thirtieth birthday and before February 1, 1989 is not required to receive rubella vaccine except in outbreak situations.

• Hepatitis B: Three doses are required for individuals entering college or university. A 2 dose series of Heplisav-B is acceptable (this vaccine is only available in the United States). Hepatitis B titers are not acceptable for this requirement; students will need to show documentation of completed vaccine series. Hepatitis B vaccine is not required if an individual was born before July 1, 1994.

• Varicella: One dose or proof of laboratory confirmation of varicella disease immunity. Varicella vaccine or proof of immunity is not required if an individual was born before April 1, 2001.

* Two doses of MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) will meet this requirement
Well, none of those vaccines you mention are part of the International Communist Mind Control Conspiracy.
They don't count.
Locked Previous topicNext topic