Vaccination Status?

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

mtnvandy
Captain

Vaccination Status?

Post by mtnvandy »

Gents et al,

Did I hear one of the tv guys say during our game that many NC State guys are not vaccinated?

Has or will any statement been made re VU players vaccination status?

Regards,

MtnVandy

SCSA
Captain

Re: Vaccination Status?

Post by SCSA »

Word is our entire travelling party has been fully jabbed, and that's why we weren't subject to testing.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

NC State's coach gave them the option not to take it. 14 opted out. Rumor is that Corbs made them all take it. While I am not for mandatory vaccinations, in a team setting I believe this was the logical choice.
dotcommie
Captain

Post by dotcommie »

It was the smart, responsible choice. Can't believe a coach and educator of young men could have put them at such jeopardy. I imagine he and his university regret that decision. We were all lucky that the tournament was even scheduled this year. Kudos to Corbin.
KudzuLeague
Captain

Post by KudzuLeague »

dotcommie wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:17 am It was the smart, responsible choice. Can't believe a coach and educator of young men could have put them at such jeopardy. I imagine he and his university regret that decision. We were all lucky that the tournament was even scheduled this year. Kudos to Corbin.
Agree with every word you said, though I might have been more intemperate in how I expressed my feelings about Avent
Starkiller
Commander

Post by Starkiller »

commadore wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:26 am NC State's coach gave them the option not to take it. 14 opted out. Rumor is that Corbs made them all take it. While I am not for mandatory vaccinations, in a team setting I believe this was the logical choice.
It wasn’t a mandatory vaccination, the players presumably had the choice of leaving the team.

That’s life. People in the real world need to have similar choices to make in terms of getting vaccinated or not. If you don’t want to be vaccinated maybe you don’t have the privilege of doing certain things or going certain places where vaccinations have been deemed necessary.

Regardless, I hope other athletes take notice of what happened here. NFL fans would not be happy losing players in a big playoff game…
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

dotcommie wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:17 am It was the smart, responsible choice. Can't believe a coach and educator of young men could have put them at such jeopardy. I imagine he and his university regret that decision. We were all lucky that the tournament was even scheduled this year. Kudos to Corbin.
A healthy 20 year has very little risk from covid. They are not at great jeopardy. The only risk they took was that it could end their season early. I wouldnt call that great jeopardy. They knew the NCAA's rules ahead of time and made the decision to not all get vaccinated. You make a choice and you live with it.

The ironic thing is their season is getting cancelled because they had 4 vaccinated players, who are presumably asymptomatic and not a danger to anyone, also test positive. But having them play is too much of a danger supposedly. I keep hearing our entire team is vaccinated (although I dont know if that is true). Lets assume they are though. One of them could have picked up covid the week before Omaha hooking up with their girlfriend. Maybe one of them picked it up while in Omaha down at the breakfast buffet line. If the vaccinated NC State players are too much of a danger, we may as well test all our players and quarantine the entire team if one of our vaxxed guys comes up positive too. Only fair.
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Post by oakparkDore »

I’m vaxxed but shared a breakfast bar with the NCSU team at the Embassy Suites. I think I’m okay though, other than too much biscuits and gravy.
SCSA
Captain

Post by SCSA »

Regardless of your views of the vaccine or self-appointed expert status, the protocol is what it is and was know to every participating team going in. A major problem in Anglo=American culture these days is people want rights without corresponding responsibilities and choices without consequences.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

fldore wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:04 am
A healthy 20 year has very little risk from covid. They are not at great jeopardy. The only risk they took was that it could end their season early. I wouldnt call that great jeopardy. They knew the NCAA's rules ahead of time and made the decision to not all get vaccinated. You make a choice and you live with it.
They're at very little risk of dying, but they can certainly have hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, pulmonary fibrosis, and all kinds of exciting thromboembolic events, any one of which can have serious effects on an athlete's career. On my unit we are teetering on the verge of having to deliver an extremely preterm fetus due to what appear to be covid effects on the placenta.

The risk everyone conveniently likes to forget is what happens when you pass a disease on to someone else.
Somehow the "ethics of personal responsibility" has morphed into "doesn't affect me personally."

Don't ask me to explain the NCAA decisions. The connection from medical science to NCAA rulings is tenuous to nonexistent.
mtnvandy
Captain

Q for Fl Dore:

Post by mtnvandy »

What part of Fla are you in?

Curious if vacc avoidance as bad in other parts of state as it is in SW FLA?

Sadly, I have first responder & health care family members refusing the vacc & read that something like 40% of ALF workers are not vaccinated.

Be Safe, friends

Ps Wonder if Gov D has any family members in ALFs &, if so, is he having second thoughts about his anti- vacc “ passport” policy?
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

The ironic thing is their season is getting cancelled because they had 4 vaccinated players, who are presumably asymptomatic and not a danger to anyone, also test positive. But having them play is too much of a danger supposedly. I keep hearing our entire team is vaccinated (although I dont know if that is true). Lets assume they are though. One of them could have picked up covid the week before Omaha hooking up with their girlfriend. Maybe one of them picked it up while in Omaha down at the breakfast buffet line. If the vaccinated NC State players are too much of a danger, we may as well test all our players and quarantine the entire team if one of our vaxxed guys comes up positive too. Only fair.
It’s interesting if we weren’t subject to testing because of our vaccinated status, it does seem like NC State made their choice and they’ll have to live with it. If they were vaccinated, those asymptomatic kids would’ve never been tested and shown up as positive. Then they would’ve never been in this position, and because of that, I think it was a very silly choice.

I’d bet $100 that if you would’ve laid this scenario out in front of those kids and coaches two months ago they would’ve all gotten the vaccine to prevent this. It oh well, this is good for us!
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

Rather obvious point here:

Vanderbilt is a private school and can pretty much require/strongly encourage its students and athletes to do whatever it wants.

North Carolina State is a public school in the South in 2021. I don't follow the NC legislature, but here in Tennessee the General Assembly passed bill after bill this year making it very very clear that no public institution can require its employees/students to get vaccinated.

So in this case we may have a very clear distinction between public and private schools.

Meanwhile, obviously, the NC State coach seems to have equated "vaccines" with "politics." That speaks for itself.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

fldore wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:04 am A healthy 20 year has very little risk from covid. They are not at great jeopardy.
Of course, there is also very very very little risk from the covid vaccine, presuming they have not had allergic reactions to other vaccines. So...
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

historybill wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:34 am
Meanwhile, obviously, the NC State coach seems to have equated "vaccines" with "politics." That speaks for itself.
Yes, I read that and actually screamed out loud in my house that vaccination is not political!!! (Or shouldn't be...)
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

KudzuLeague wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:44 am
Agree with every word you said, though I might have been more intemperate in how I expressed my feelings about Avent
See my separate post on my thoughts that he should be fired.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Unless they give it to an older parent, grandparent, or someone with health issues.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

historybill wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:34 am

North Carolina State is a public school in the South in 2021. I don't follow the NC legislature, but here in Tennessee the General Assembly passed bill after bill this year making it very very clear that no public institution can require its employees/students to get vaccinated.

Well...

ut:
all students are required to submit proof of:
Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) Vaccine – Proof of immunization with two doses at least 28 days apart or (+) antibody titers for any student born after 1 Jan 1957 is required.
Varicella (Chickenpox) Vaccine – Proof of immunization with two doses at least 28 days apart or a (+) antibody titer is required
Tuberculosis (TB) Screening Questionnaire and, if subsequently required, a Tuberculosis (TB) Risk Assessment must be submitted.
Students living on campus are ALSO required to submit proof of:

Meningitis Vaccines – All new incoming students who are under 22 years of age and will be residing in on-campus housing, must have documentation of the Meningococcal Serogroup A, C, W, and Y Vaccine given on or after their 16th birthday or they will not be permitted to move into on-campus housing.

--------------------------------------------------------------

mtsu:
Tennessee requires new full-time enrollees in higher education institutions with enrollments larger than 200 students to be up to date on immunizations. Full-time is defined as undergraduates enrolling in at least 12 semester hours, or equivalent, and graduate students enrolling in at least 9 semester hours, or equivalent. Note: A hold is automatically set to prevent a student's registration until the process is completed. Once completed, the hold is automatically removed and the student is clear to register.

U of Memphis:
The state of Tennessee requires state public institutions of higher education to verify that students have received mandated immunizations and meet certain health requirements.

APSU:
The State of Tennessee requires that new full-time, first-time, readmitting, and graduate students entering institutions of higher learning provide proof of two immunizations of the Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) vaccines or laboratory evidence of immunity to all three of the diseases. A student will not be allowed to register for classes until these requirements are met.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tennessee Tech:
Students must provide proof of two (2) MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella) vaccinations. Documentation of blood test (titer- serology) showing immunity to measles, mumps, and rubella. ... If any one of the three is negative, proof of 2 doses of vaccine must be provided to Health Services.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

avent sounds like he may have depended too much on "info" he received from cable tv/talk radio sources. if so, that likely unfortunately skewed his perspective on this c-19 epidemic's potential effects on his team. one would have thought, however, that there might have been persons higher in the ncsu chain of command who would have intervened....but, as historybill has suggested, that may not have been possible. i can't wait for si's in-depth expose of this mess!
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

SCSA wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:56 am Regardless of your views of the vaccine or self-appointed expert status, the protocol is what it is and was know to every participating team going in. A major problem in Anglo=American culture these days is people want rights without corresponding responsibilities and choices without consequences.
I "liked" your post then decided that wasn't enough. Thanks for reminding us of the obvious: If you are an adult , act like one.
Locked Previous topicNext topic