OT: Something that annoys me about the coverage of UT

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Golddore68
Admiral

OT: Something that annoys me about the coverage of UT

Post by Golddore68 »

During every UT game in the CWS on ESPN they played this skit where Peyton Manning is calling Vitello and telling him he’ll be ready to pitch. Then they both yell “Omaha!” at each other.

If I was a UT fan I’d be upset about this. The mentality they are giving is that the only good athlete to ever come out of UT is Peyton Manning.

As much as I dislike UT, I have to admit they’ve had dozens of great players who went on and had great careers in the pros in all their sports. In football — Leonard Little. Peerless Price, Reggie Cobb, Albert Haynesworth, etc. in basketball, Allan Houston, Vincent Yarborough, Tobias Harris, Grant Williams, etc.

In baseball, Todd Helton. R.A. Dickey, Bronson Heflin, etc.

UT is about a lot more than Peyton Manning.

OldDude
Vice Admiral

Re: OT: Something that annoys me about the coverage of UT

Post by OldDude »

I suspect Peyton is an OK guy, but like you enough is enough. I think the high visibility he has managed to attain commercially (and I can't blame him for taking advantage of the opportunity) is a reflection of the absurd adulation UT fans , and to some extent sports fans in general, have for him (again as well as athletes in general). Our society is very skewed in how we value the contribution of various occupational groups.
oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Post by oakparkDore »

Peyton is one of very few to never be charged with a felony.
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

oakparkDore wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:31 pm Peyton is one of very few to never be charged with a felony.
But he mooned a female trainer. She sued UT and they settled out of court. That probably cost the university a pretty penny.
jpmando
Commander

Post by jpmando »

I believe the allegation was "tea bagging" quite a bit of difference there
NateSY
Captain

Post by NateSY »

Golddore68 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:44 pm
oakparkDore wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:31 pm Peyton is one of very few to never be charged with a felony.
But he mooned a female trainer. She sued UT and they settled out of court. That probably cost the university a pretty penny.
Yeeeeaaah, he grabbed her by the hair and rubbed his junk on her face after pretending to have an ankle injury. They settled and the court ordered the records sealed and both parties not to speak about it. Then he wrote a book about himself and referred to her as “the woman with the filthy mouth”. Then he left a copy of said book at her apartment with the passage about her book marked. I’m pretty positive it was before the book was released, but not 100% on that. After that the court records were unsealed because he lied about it to make her look bad, and he had to pay an additional settlement for that. In addition, UTs athletic department used the sealed records and her inability to speak about what really happened to slander her and ruin her career. Primarily by spending a false rumor that she complained about being mooned and sued over it, was mentally unstable, was inappropriate with students, and generally unfit to be around athletes. I’m fairly positive she was a trainer for the US Olympic team as well prior to the Manning situation and she lost that job as well due to image issues from this.

So, Manning is a scum bag, just a rich one from a famous family.
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

Yeah, the Mannings are a very accomplished and respectable family. But Peyton is an arrogant piece of garbage as a person. He's pretty scummy.
MemorialMagic
Rear Admiral

Post by MemorialMagic »

Elaborate on "pretty scummy"

Tell us more, please. Details, details.
indysog03
Ensign

Post by indysog03 »

MemorialMagic wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:09 am Elaborate on "pretty scummy"

Ask any Indianapolis sports writer off the record and they will tell you about affairs/illicit behavior that they know of, as well as how they don't like having to deal with him as a person. Like most people in the spotlight, what you see on TV is vastly different from his demeanor/actions away from the camera.

However, they didn't DARE print anything negative about him since his image and status as a successful, charismatic white QB was one of the few things that moved the needle for newspaper sales in a red state like Indiana.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

They love him because he barely managed to beat Vanderbilt three times.
zhanglini
Commander

Post by zhanglini »

Golddore68 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:20 pm UT is about a lot more than Peyton Manning.
UT=U of Texas
ut/uut/eweT=the one we all hate ;)
Last edited by zhanglini on Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@AD
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

zhanglini wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:07 pm
Golddore68 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:20 pm UT is about a lot more than Peyton Manning.
UT=U of Texas
ut=the one we all hate
I prefer “uut” as a reference to the guy years ago who announced his commitment to “the University of UT” :lol:
MemorialMagic
Rear Admiral

Post by MemorialMagic »

indysog03 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:25 am
MemorialMagic wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:09 am Elaborate on "pretty scummy"

Ask any Indianapolis sports writer off the record and they will tell you about affairs/illicit behavior that they know of, as well as how they don't like having to deal with him as a person. Like most people in the spotlight, what you see on TV is vastly different from his demeanor/actions away from the camera.

However, they didn't DARE print anything negative about him since his image and status as a successful, charismatic white QB was one of the few things that moved the needle for newspaper sales in a red state like Indiana.
I’ve heard rumors about open marriage and crazy stuff. Maybe he treats people that he doesn’t know badly or something. I know a couple people who know him pretty well. Well enough to go on golf trips with him. They say he’s a good guy.
Locked Previous topicNext topic