Monday predictions

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Monday predictions

Post by dallasdore »

OK, so I had 3 out of 4 in the first go-round (someone remind this idiot again WHY I PICKED EWETEE???).

Today's games.

Vandy over NC State. This one actually scares me more than AZ. They have been on fire and have a lot of talent. It comes down to Leiter. Will the bright lights get to him? Or will his mentorship under Rocker have him calm and ready for the big show?

Stanford over Arizona. I'm not sure about this one, so I'll go with Stanford, who I believe took 2/3 in the regular season. Arizona may be a bit deflated.

Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Re: Monday predictions

Post by Ndorefin »

I don’t believe Leiter will be the least bit intimidated by the game….if anything I think he will be on target. He’s been under a microscope since little league and he’s a very confident young man. I hope you are correct with Stanford over Az…..I don’t want to play Az again.

The biggest question is if we win tonight, do we pitch Rocker Friday nite or take a chance we win without him and save him for Monday? If we would lose Friday nite, he would have to pitch Saturday in the elimination game and may be done for the year. If we pitch him Friday night, he may still be available for the final game on Wednesday, if we get there. My choice would be to pitch him on Friday nite and if we lose, we would have Leiter for Saturday on 5 days rest.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

I would use Reiley with Little sitting in the pen ready to go on a minutes notice. If we lose, Rocker will be ready for the next game and game three.
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

How many days were there between Rocker starts in the college World Series two years ago?
MountainDore
Lieutenant

Post by MountainDore »

Ndorefin wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:23 pm I don’t believe Leiter will be the least bit intimidated by the game….if anything I think he will be on target. He’s been under a microscope since little league and he’s a very confident young man. I hope you are correct with Stanford over Az…..I don’t want to play Az again.

The biggest question is if we win tonight, do we pitch Rocker Friday nite or take a chance we win without him and save him for Monday? If we would lose Friday nite, he would have to pitch Saturday in the elimination game and may be done for the year. If we pitch him Friday night, he may still be available for the final game on Wednesday, if we get there. My choice would be to pitch him on Friday nite and if we lose, we would have Leiter for Saturday on 5 days rest.
Didn't Fulmer start 3 times in the CWS in 2014 or 2015? I agree, pitch him on Friday night if (when) we win today, and then maybe he can go, at least for a while, in the finals.
MountainDore
Lieutenant

Post by MountainDore »

MountainDore wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:25 pm
Ndorefin wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:23 pm I don’t believe Leiter will be the least bit intimidated by the game….if anything I think he will be on target. He’s been under a microscope since little league and he’s a very confident young man. I hope you are correct with Stanford over Az…..I don’t want to play Az again.

Didn't Fulmer start 3 times in the CWS in 2014 or 2015? I agree, pitch him on Friday night if (when) we win today, and then maybe he can go, at least for a while, in the finals.
Just looked it up- in 2014, Fulmer's second start was on a week's rest, and he started in the finals on 4 days' rest. Barring rain, Kumar would have 6 days' rest with a Friday start, and then 4 days' rest in a championship game.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Back to OT
We can/should beat NC State. We have more talent and the program has more experience in CWS. That said I am very nervous because the won the supers against the SEC champions. It was not a fluke. We cannot commit 3 errors. We will have to rely on small ball and our team speed to manufacture runs. Leiter has to be the pitcher he is.

Just looked at Arizona and Stanford in 3rd in a scoreless game . Probably Stanford wins but not sure about that.
Versus75
Admiral

Details on the 2014 rotation here:

Post by Versus75 »

Final post to date:

https://14powers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18521

Meanwhile, Stanford pounding Arizona’s #2 AND #3 starting pitchers with a 7-run third inning.

:P
Locked Previous topicNext topic