Miss St's Bednar putting on a pitching CLINIC

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Miss St's Bednar putting on a pitching CLINIC

Post by dallasdore »

His stat line through 6 IP: 0 runs, 1 single, 1 walk, and FIFTEEN strikeouts.

Wow.

dallasdore
Vice Admiral

For the Love of God, PLEASE....

Post by dallasdore »

don't let the finals end up being Vandy-UVa part III.

If we make it (and I think we will), I would like to play one of the other teams, even UT.
historybill
Admiral

Re: Miss St's Bednar putting on a pitching CLINIC

Post by historybill »

MSU is getting ripped off.

Bottom of the 9th, their pitcher struck out a guy repeatedly but the ump kept calling balls.

Even the announcers noticed it.
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

Bednar pitched great. But he got low strikes, outside strikes. Low and outside strikes.

I would love to have the ump who did our game versus Arizona for every game. He was consistent and steady.

I will say, over the course of the year, Bradfield seems to get more high - and outside - strikes against him than anyone. Even that great ump gave him one strike at the armpits. It was one of two calls I disagreed with all night.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

roanoke wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:42 am Bednar pitched great. But he got low strikes, outside strikes. Low and outside strikes.

I would love to have the ump who did our game versus Arizona for every game. He was consistent and steady.

I will say, over the course of the year, Bradfield seems to get more high - and outside - strikes against him than anyone. Even that great ump gave him one strike at the armpits. It was one of two calls I disagreed with all night.
Bednar & Maddon both pitched great, but Roanoke is on the money, pitches anywhere near the strike zone were routinely being called strikes...until the final couple hitters when, as Bill noted, the strike zone seemed to disappear.

The guy who called the VU-AZ game had 10 years pro umpiring experience, reached as high as AAA. If there is one distinction between professional and college umpires, it's the size and consistency of the strike zone. I'm with Roanoke, give me the guy behind the plate for Vandy's first game every time.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Texas was already an offensively-challenged team, and the inconsistency in strike zone didn't help.
Locked Previous topicNext topic