Jack Leiter draft eligibility

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

FrmrMrC
Rear Admiral

Jack Leiter draft eligibility

Post by FrmrMrC »

Good morning!

I am clearly not up to date with all the new baseball draft stuff due to COVID and any changes that have been made, but historically if you were drafted out of high school and then chose to go to college, you could not be drafted for 3 yrs (until after your Jr. season).

I hear a lot of buzz about who will go higher, Kumar or Jack this year, but then people will talk about Jack being a "Covid Freshman" meaning his 1st year was 2020, but since it wasn't a complete year, this is his "freshman" year.

Jack was drafted in 2019, but decided to go to college (Vandy, Academic year 2019-2020), which means that he's only been 2 years from his high school draft. How is he eligible for the MLB draft this year? Is this a temporary rules change based on COVID, or have the draft rules been completely overhauled?

baseball1234
Commander

Re: Jack Leiter draft eligibility

Post by baseball1234 »

Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

21 yrs old before the draft. CJ Rodriguez also fits this category, and I expect to lose both after only two years.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

It's been the rule for a while that any player who turns 21 before the draft can be selected regardless of their college status. Which sucks for us, of course.
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

Aurick, I miss your prescient tweets. Unfortunately, had to get off of Twitter because of censorship et cetera. Are you or any of the other guys like Nash going to Omaha?
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

baseball1234 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:49 am Aurick, I miss your prescient tweets. Unfortunately, had to get off of Twitter because of censorship et cetera. Are you or any of the other guys like Nash going to Omaha?

I'm going to try and get there for at least one game. I have an unusual number of family and work schedule conflicts in the second half of this month that I need to resolve. Omaha is such a great experience--I recommend it highly if you haven't been.
FrmrMrC
Rear Admiral

Post by FrmrMrC »

OK, thanks! I don't really recall that being an issue for our teams in the past.
oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Post by oakparkDore »

Commodoredave wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:47 am 21 yrs old before the draft. CJ Rodriguez also fits this category, and I expect to lose both after only two years.
Wow, did not know that about CJ. That stinks for us.
vandylifer
Lieutenant

Post by vandylifer »

We lost centerfielder Pat Demarco and catcher, Philip Clark to this rule (21 before the draft rule) after the 2019 Championship. Both only played for Vandy 2 years. Corbs knows this when he drafts them and I would guess the opportunity to play (catch) next year is why Romero has/will hang around.
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

May be a dumb question but do we know if it is official that he is leaving? I could be wrong but was under the impression he was going to be a highly drafted first rounder coming out of high school. And of course turned that down to come to Vandy. Now admittedly I don't know why he made that decision but assuming it is because he wanted the education. Has he finished his degree yet? I know we typically assume a guy is leaving when first eligible but his situation is a little more unique. It's not like he was just a solid high school player that blew up in college and this is his big opportunity. Clearly coming to school was more important to him than the high draft pick. And since it is only been two years not sure if he has accomplished what he intended to do while here.
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
boatrocker
Captain

Post by boatrocker »

I think there are few players that eligible. Maldonado should be in that bunch as well.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Someone asked him what it felt like to pitch his last game at the Hawk and he didn't contradict them. He is projected to go SECOND. He won't turn that down. The pick value LAST YEAR for the number 2 pick was $7.79 million. Will be more this year. He won't turn that down.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

And most importantly he is ready now for the big leagues.
Locked Previous topicNext topic