OT: Somewhere over the rainbow...

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

OT: Somewhere over the rainbow...

Post by Go Vandy! »

should Nashville get a MLB team, either by relocation or expansion, what would be the pros&cons of relocating the Sounds to Jackson. I know the Memphis AA Redbirds moved to Jackson. Is there any connection between Jackson & MC? (Other than Seab- sorry, wrong board).

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Re: OT: Somewhere over the rainbow...

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Jackson just lost its MiLB team, but I don't know if that was due to ballpark inadequacies or another reason.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:29 pm Jackson just lost its MiLB team, but I don't know if that was due to ballpark inadequacies or another reason.
MLB dowsized how many minor league clubs they were going to have. That stadium is only like 20 years old. It should be in decent condition still. It certainly can't be a dump like Greer turned into. I saw where a non-MLB affiliate semi-pro team from Canada has rented the stadium for the summer but not sure if that fell through or is a thing.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

I agree with Larry Schmittou that Nashville's best opportunity for an MLB team is to get the Devil Rays to relocate to Nashville. Tropicana field is in St. Petersburg (not Tampa) and they don't draw well despite having a very good team. I understand an expansion carries a crazy-high franchise/expansion fee of $2.2 billion should Nashville be fortunate enough to be selected.
mtnvandy
Captain

no more “devil” in Rays fyi

Post by mtnvandy »

Gents,

Not to be technical, but about 5 years ago, The Tampa ( St Pete, actually) American League MLB Club dropped Devil from its nickname.

You may notice the current logo has a ray of sun.

The touch tank of rays in upper right centerfield, a fav with kids at Tropicana Field was kept.

FYI3: The lease the Rays signed long ago with the City of St Petersburgh expires in 2027. Most of us fans are resigned to the fact mlb may be gone then.

Regards,

MtnVandy

#DavidPriceFanClub

Ps Is Mr Schmittou still alive? I recall him being an older gent late 80s when I asked him if Skeeteer Barnes would be playing a particular night. His response “ Skeeters playin’ in DeeeeTroit” A highlight of my one Summer School Summer in BNA.
Locked Previous topicNext topic