ECU - yes, they're tough...and then some

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

ECU - yes, they're tough...and then some

Post by MrMemorial »

I was looking at their stats. They have a pitcher that is 10-0 with a 1.83 ERA. They have a guy hitting .418 with 15 HR's. As a matter of fact the team batting average is .300 including the guys who hardly ever get to play. If we don't bring it, there won't be a trip to Omaha to worry about. ECU is that good.

vandy05
Vice Admiral

Re: ECU - yes, they're tough...and then some

Post by vandy05 »

They're one of the last 16 left. Anybody who makes it to this point is going to be very salty. We will have our work cut out for us if we want to get to Omaha.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

vandy05 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:38 am They're one of the last 16 left. Anybody who makes it to this point is going to be very salty. We will have our work cut out for us if we want to get to Omaha.
They're on a different level than that Duke team. There won't be a no-hitter vs ECU I'm afraid.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Still, look at the competition vs ours.
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

They are widely regarded as the "best program to never make Omaha". This isn't just some mid-major on a run, it's a legit top 20 program year in and year out.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Commodoredave wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:02 am They are widely regarded as the "best program to never make Omaha". This isn't just some mid-major on a run, it's a legit top 20 program year in and year out.
Except for Houston and Memphis (basketball schools) the entire AAC was good in baseball this season. I think other than those two, the rest of them have 30+ wins on the season. Underestimate mid-majors at your own peril, whether it's VCU and Loyola-Chicago in hoops, Boise State and Marshall in football, Cal-State Fullerton and Costal Carolina in baseball, etc.
Doresince89
Commander

Post by Doresince89 »

Looking at the coach's resume, he did a stint at LSU. Could we be playing against their next coach?
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

I'm not scared of anybody. We have the two best pitchers in the draft. They get hot and perform and we'll be in and out in two days. But ECU got through their regional unscathed just like us. As someone said, maybe the best program to never reach Omaha (hopefully it stays that way), but at the very least they have the most NCAA tournament appearances without a trip to Omaha. I would be shocked if this weekend were not a dogfight (is that politically correct to say anymore).
DivergentDore
Commander

Post by DivergentDore »

ECU is a scrappy bunch that won't give up nor give anything away. Their typical strategy is to use starters until the first sign of trouble and then go to the pen quickly. They have tremendous bullpen depth. Their ace Gavin Williams started the year in the pen and worked his way to the ace position with a great k/bb ratio. Don't know if he was working back from an injury or simply made a leap to the next level but he's an example of their work ethic as a team; just get it done. Should be an exciting super
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

I noticed Williams got sorta rough up against Charlotte Saturday….6 innings, 4 runs on 98 pitches with only 3Ks. If Rocker is on and focused, it should be a great matchup. I don’t know if the Dodgers could hit what he was throwing at Duke in 2019!
Locked Previous topicNext topic