Pitching rotation in the Super Regional?

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Golddore68
Admiral

Pitching rotation in the Super Regional?

Post by Golddore68 »

Since neither Rocker nor Leiter looked good in the SEC tournament, and they have been overused, I wonder if Corbin will start Reilly in the first game of the regional.

Reilly has had the longest rest and he has looked impressive a couple of times, most notably against Alabama.

Maybe even use Little again as a starter, although once he got to the fifth inning against Ole Miss in the first game of the SEC Tournament, he started struggling.

The regional will be a four team double-elimination tournament. We’ll probably play three games (I hope we don’t lose twice and our season is over.)

So I would say use Reilly the first game, then Rocker/Leiter in games two and three, and have Little ready to go long relief if one of them struggles in the early innings.

dore74
Vice Admiral

Re: Pitching rotation in the Super Regional?

Post by dore74 »

Matters who we face first IMHO. Although of past is prologue I’d bet Rocker starts us off
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

Neither have been "overused" IMHO.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

baseball1234 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 6:42 am Neither have been "overused" IMHO.
In the traditional since, no, they haven't. But this isn't a traditional year. Last year was lost for the most part, so the players didn't get a chance to build themselves, nor did most get a chance to pitch in the summer. As such, those 100+ pitch games have added up to a tired group of starters.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Not saying he'll do it, but if I were the head coach I'd pitch Little against Presbyterian. and save R&L for games 2 and 3.
HarpoMarx
Ensign

Post by HarpoMarx »

That 1st game is an important game. You have to go with your best.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

HarpoMarx wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:55 pm That 1st game is an important game. You have to go with your best.
I understand that line of thought and traditionally Corbs has stuck with the Fri/Sat/Sun rotation that would mirror that, but this is not a traditional year.

We haven't had a regular, consistent #3 starter all season. In past years our #3 was as good as most teams' #1. Because our pitching depth is thin compared to most years, I believe our best chance to win in three games is to send Little against a weak Presbyterian squad. We will see.
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

commadore wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:06 am
baseball1234 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 6:42 am Neither have been "overused" IMHO.
In the traditional since, no, they haven't. But this isn't a traditional year. Last year was lost for the most part, so the players didn't get a chance to build themselves, nor did most get a chance to pitch in the summer. As such, those 100+ pitch games have added up to a tired group of starters.
Even Corbs said Leiter has been overused and he was tired. After two bad outings (I think against UT and Arkansas) Corbs rested Leiter in the Bama series.

The “talking heads” said Rocker looked tired in the SEC tournament game.

I agree that Little or Reilly should pitch against Presbyterian, and save Rocker and Leiter for Georgia Tech and the championship game.
egbertsouse
Captain

Post by egbertsouse »

My prediction:
Rocker
Leiter
Little
accent grave over the e
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

egbertsouse wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:10 pm My prediction:
Rocker
Leiter
Little
Based on past history, this is what I expect to see.

I can understand arguments on both side. We should be able to outclass/outslug Presby, but we simply must win the first two games, or I don't believe we have pitching depth to come through the losers bracket.
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

If the rotation for the regional would not impact the rotation for the Super, I might suggest differently. We definitely need Rocker, Leiter the first two games of the Super, so having them go Friday, Saturday in the regional keeps that in order.
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
VUDU
Lieutenant

Post by VUDU »

My recollection is that Corbs has NEVER deviated from the normal rotation in the NCAA Tournament. That means Rocker Friday, Leiter Saturday, and TBD Sunday (I would think Reilly). I would expect Little to be the fourth starter, if necessary.
Locked Previous topicNext topic