Wild UT-Bama game

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Versus75
Admiral

Wild UT-Bama game

Post by Versus75 »

Alabama made two official errors and one mental error, then was aided by a questionable ruling to let UT tie the game at 2-2 in the seventh.

Then UT thought it won the game in the bottom of the ninth on a forceout, but it was ruled a double play as the man out at second grabbed the infielder making the turn.

Stay tuned.

commadore
Admiral

And Bama wins it i. The 11th

Post by commadore »

3-2. Only negative is it appears to give Florida an easy path to Saturday.
Versus75
Admiral

Re: Wild UT-Bama game

Post by Versus75 »

‘Bama wins in 11 innings. Reliever throws about 85 pitches in 4+ innings.

Tennessee coach might as well start negotiations with A&M.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

Versus75 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:24 pm Alabama made two official errors and one mental error, then was aided by a questionable ruling to let UT tie the game at 2-2 in the seventh.

Then UT thought it won the game in the bottom of the ninth on a forceout, but it was ruled a double play as the man out at second grabbed the infielder making the turn.

Stay tuned.
I watched a little of the game, saw part of the 7th. What was the controversial ruling? I think I missed that.
AirForceDore
Rear Admiral

Post by AirForceDore »

Levon wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 4:06 pm
Versus75 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:24 pm Alabama made two official errors and one mental error, then was aided by a questionable ruling to let UT tie the game at 2-2 in the seventh.

Stay tuned.
I watched a little of the game, saw part of the 7th. What was the controversial ruling? I think I missed that.
UT had bases loaded,1 out, hit into what would have been DP. UT runner from first slid into 2nd after the force, but impeded the second baseman from throwing to first. The throw was made, but was high, first baseman came off bag, runner would have been safe. Called an out due to the runner sliding into the fielder at second.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

AirForceDore wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 4:15 pm

Stay tuned.
UT had bases loaded,1 out, hit into what would have been DP. UT runner from first slid into 2nd after the force, but impeded the second baseman from throwing to first. The throw was made, but was high, first baseman came off bag, runner would have been safe. Called an out due to the runner sliding into the fielder at second.
And several minutes after the team celebrated their win on the field. HEE HEE.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

AirForceDore wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 4:15 pm

Stay tuned.
Thanks for the explanation. I found the replay, and while the contact was minimal, as someone else (sorry, I don't recall who) explained a week or 2 ago when EBjr was called out at second on a very similar play, the college rule is apparently very specific regarding no contact. Looked to me that the umpire correctly ruled the slide illegal. Tough play...
AirForceDore
Rear Admiral

Post by AirForceDore »

Hate to see it happen. While i am glad it happened to UT, I dont think the runner was purposely doing anything wrong. As the announcer said, by rule they have to call it that way. Not much wiggle room for the ump. Now I sure would like to see Arky extend this 6 run lead to 10 by the end of 7th so we can get going ASAP. Or is there a rule that we would have to wait til 8 pm?
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

I think we have to wait. They did for the second game today.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

re runner sliding into 2nd base: We don't know, but the throw might have been better if the fielder didn't have a hand in his crotch as he made the throw.

re having to wait for the second game: I'm sure that it will not start earlier because they want to keep the schedule. Maybe they have time to clear the stands and take tickets for the next game separately.

But I was concerned that the game might start late because the 'Bama-UT game went into extras. Apparently, the 10-run rule is in place and that's why the Florida-Mississipi State game was called after 7 innings:

"With the SEC Tournament run-rule potentially in effect heading into the bottom of the seventh, Barco stepped up to deliver his sixth-consecutive scoreless inning to close out the contest as the Gators posted a 13-1 win over the Bulldogs."
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
Locked Previous topicNext topic