2021 All-SEC Baseball Team announced

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

admin
Site Admin

2021 All-SEC Baseball Team announced

Post by admin »

-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
baseball1234
Commander

Re: 2021 All-SEC Baseball Team announced

Post by baseball1234 »

Carter Young is not the best fielding SS in the league? Huh?
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

I don't remember the newcomer category. Is that just because of covid? What would have been last year's all freshman team?
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
Versus75
Admiral

Were these goofs by SEC Sports ...

Post by Versus75 »

... or 14Powers.com? I have a feeling that the original secsports.com article was incorrect and has since been edited. Someone at 14Powers.com likely pasted the text without checking it for accuracy.

Here is a link to the current version of the article on SECSports.com:
https://www.secsports.com/article/31504 ... -announced

Meanwhile, on 14Powers.com as of this writing:

"Van Horn, in his 19th season as Arkansas’ head coach, was voted SEC Coach of the Year for the second time in his career. He led the Commodores to the SEC championship and 22 conference wins in the regular season."

Does Van Horn get credit for wins by Vanderbilt AND Arkansas?

"Stallings holds a 3.48 grade point average in exercise science. He is a Student-Athlete Advisory Committee representative and is a three-time member of the SEC Academic Honor Roll. Stallings is batting .328 this season with 11 home runs and 40 RBI."

Coincidentally, Tim Elko of Ole Miss also batted .328 with 11 home runs and 40 RBI. I understand he is a good student as well.

I would have suggested explaining the "Newcomer of the Year" as one who is new to SEC competition but is not a freshman, but that may not be the case as none of the players on the list is a transfer. I hope this does not become an annual award; it's difficult to think of a guy about to sign an $8 million bonus contract as a "Newcomer."

And did you notice that the Newcomer All-SEC Team is comprised of players from only six of the 14 SEC squads?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That was an SEC release but I should have caught it. I just did and let the SEC baseball SID know about it.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

admin wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:29 pm That was an SEC release but I should have caught it. I just did and let the SEC baseball SID know about it.
I apologize, Don. I didn't realize that was your, um, handiwork. I thought it was posted by your parent company, 14Powers. I would have cut you some slack.

Now, if you become a stringer for The Tennessean and still mess up I will call you out. Then I will blame it on the lack of editors in your sports department. But then if I'm not careful those jokers might give the Vanderbilt beat to a 20-year-old Yankee.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Versus75 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:46 pm
admin wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:29 pm That was an SEC release but I should have caught it. I just did and let the SEC baseball SID know about it.
I apologize, Don. I didn't realize that was your, um, handiwork. I thought it was posted by your parent company, 14Powers. I would have cut you some slack.

Now, if you become a stringer for The Tennessean and still mess up I will call you out. Then I will blame it on the lack of editors in your sports department. But then if I'm not careful those jokers might give the Vanderbilt beat to a 20-year-old Yankee.
No need to apologize. That's what I get for not editing the SEC's article and I should have done what I normally do when I post SEC releases, list the source. :)
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

I'm really excited to see Bradfield get recognized. He truly deserved it, and anyone who watched him play this year knows how he impacts a game offensively and defensively.

I was surprised to see Young not on the defensive team, but other than that, it's hard to argue with the selections.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

fldore wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:08 pm I don't remember the newcomer category. Is that just because of covid? What would have been last year's all freshman team?
that would appear to be the case....
Locked Previous topicNext topic