SEC tourney pitching

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

SEC tourney pitching

Post by Ndorefin »

IMHO, I would pitch Rocker and Leiter on Wed and Thurs, but keep both on a low pitch count. I realize the team wants to win the tourney, but it’s rather meaningless as far as the national seeding goes and I wouldn’t do it at the expense of the pitching staff. It appears the SEC hitters are now sitting on fast balls from both and we will need them at their peak in the NCAA tourney.
Last edited by Ndorefin on Mon May 24, 2021 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

baseball1234
Commander

Re: SEC tourney pitching

Post by baseball1234 »

Today's game meaningless for Ky. Their only chance for the NCAA is to win conf tourney. Should save better pitchers for conf and throw bottom of staff today.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

It doesn't matter. If we win the first two we will get beat after that.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Maybe pitch some pitchers who haven't pitched much this year, concede these 2 games, go into the tourney with (1) a 3 game losing streak under our belt, (2) an attitude, and (3) maybe some stones for a change.
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

I would throw Little Wednesday and maybe ask Rocker to go 80 pitches on Thursday. It's not Corbin's style, but I don't want to see Leiter this week.

Also, we need to limit CJ's innings behind the plate. He was our best hitter a month ago and has been through two lengthy 0'fer slumps. I suspect the wear and tear of catching that many innings has worn him down.
Give Maldanado the week off while we're at it. He was dominating until we threw him twice in 4 days a couple of weeks ago. The last two outings have been shaky at best.
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

Just announced- Little on Wednesday.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Commodoredave wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:12 am Just announced- Little on Wednesday.
Looks like your recommendation was taken. Explain why and what we can expect now.
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

charlestonalum wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:51 am
Commodoredave wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:12 am Just announced- Little on Wednesday.
Looks like your recommendation was taken. Explain why and what we can expect now.
I'm not saying it was obvious, but I was pretty sure we weren't bringing Rocker in a day early. This is how Corbin has always done it in Hoover. Given our ranking, there is basically "nothing to lose" this week. We are almost guaranteed a national seed here, and if you lose with Little, there is no seeding change in the big picture. This way, we keep the rotation on their schedule if we win, and if we lose early, we get rested up for the real dance. The pitching staff needs somebody to step up, and Little is on the list of those who are most likely to do so.
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

Coaching a team and managing multi-million dollar arms at the same time.....entrusted to the right guy.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

I don’t know, but if we win the first 2 games, we get a day off. Starting Little means he’d done for the Sec tourney. Otherwise, if we lose to Miss in the first game, we have to play everyday until we lose, or win the tourney. If we pitch Rocker the first day, he gets to rest an extra day before the Regional.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Don't forget that Ole Miss will be in even worse shape than us. If they go with the Friday guy, he will definitely be on short rest. If they go with a weekday guy, it will be their second string weekday guy.
MikenNashville
Captain

Post by MikenNashville »

At this point I think you conserve (not preserve) the ace pitchers' arms for the NCAA tourney. No use going more than 40-50 pitches unless its the final game for the SEC Tournament championship then you may want to go more but even then I would think Omaha is more important than Hoover.
Locked Previous topicNext topic