North Alabama

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

admin
Site Admin

Re: North Alabama

Post by admin »

Vandy 3, UNA 2 FINAL

-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

Carter Young with a new #1 on his defensive highlights reel! Wow, that was a HUGE run--maybe game--saving play.
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

Young makes a tremendous play to save the game.

We win 3-2.

With one out and runner on third in 9th - infield is in and Young spears a bullet. Well done. Next batter grounds one up the middle - right into the shift for the final out.

Didn’t really want a nail biter tonight - but the bullpen got some pressure work & acquitted themselves well.
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

A win is a win.

But our bats need to wake up.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

roanoke wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:32 pm A win is a win.

But our bats need to wake up.
UNA's team pitching staff ERA was well over 7 going into last night.

We had some bad errors on defense too. The whole thing was very disappointing.

What some other teams have scored on the Lions this season:
Stetson 16
Tennessee Tech 18
Ole Miss 20
Miss. State 18
Kennesaw State 14
Liberty 15 (twice)
Austin Peay 16
Louisiana Lafayette 13
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

They did beat Lipscomb. Twice. So...
Junnah
Commander

Post by Junnah »

The “disappointment” here seems odd, or at least in conflict with the idea of how a team develops the ability to execute and win under pressure when the prize of a championship is at stake. Sometimes the pressure is self-inflicted but isn’t it better to see them work through it rather than complain it shouldn’t be happening to begin with? Seems like any high performing team will have ebbs and flows so why is it so scary when the lesser performance shows up, especially in a game where there are no marbles on the table? Perfect really can be the enemy of good.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Go Vandy! wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:37 am They did beat Lipscomb. Twice. So...
Actually 5 of their 7 wins this season were over DLU.

On the other hand, DLU finished 8-13 (.381) in the A-Sun, so they are not exactly Arkansas or Texas.

I do wish to compliment UNA on almost winning the A-Sun basketball title game on national TV vs Liberty a while back. Unfortunately, both of their 6-7 power forwards went into the transfer portal afterwards. UNA's basketball coach Tony Pujol seems like a really good guy, so I hope they change their mind and return to Florence.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Junnah wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:18 pm The “disappointment” here seems odd, or at least in conflict with the idea of how a team develops the ability to execute and win under pressure when the prize of a championship is at stake. Sometimes the pressure is self-inflicted but isn’t it better to see them work through it rather than complain it shouldn’t be happening to begin with? Seems like any high performing team will have ebbs and flows so why is it so scary when the lesser performance shows up, especially in a game where there are no marbles on the table? Perfect really can be the enemy of good.
I understand your point, but I disagree. To me it's more like challenging your 90 year-old grandma to a game of horse in the backyard. You get behind H-O-R-S to H, but then you rally and pull it out in the end. It should never have been that close, and the only good thing about it is it could have been worse -- grandma could be running a victory lap around you in her walker.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Go Vandy! wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:37 am They did beat Lipscomb. Twice. So...
No, FIVE times.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

geeznotagain wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:19 pm
Junnah wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:18 pm The “disappointment” here seems odd, or at least in conflict with the idea of how a team develops the ability to execute and win under pressure when the prize of a championship is at stake. Sometimes the pressure is self-inflicted but isn’t it better to see them work through it rather than complain it shouldn’t be happening to begin with? Seems like any high performing team will have ebbs and flows so why is it so scary when the lesser performance shows up, especially in a game where there are no marbles on the table? Perfect really can be the enemy of good.
I understand your point, but I disagree. To me it's more like challenging your 90 year-old grandma to a game of horse in the backyard. You get behind H-O-R-S to H, but then you rally and pull it out in the end. It should never have been that close, and the only good thing about it is it could have been worse -- grandma could be running a victory lap around you in her walker.
Yes, perfect can be the enemy of good. Just as crappy can be the opposite of good.

My guess would be that Corbin views last evening's performance as rather craptastic.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

Crappy performance? Maybe. But its better to be on the winning side than the losing side of these "struggles". And teams can grow from these types of games or they can get the idea that they can coast by. I trust Coach Corbin to use this opportunity in the right way.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

vandy05 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:55 pm Crappy performance? Maybe. But its better to be on the winning side than the losing side of these "struggles". And teams can grow from these types of games or they can get the idea that they can coast by. I trust Coach Corbin to use this opportunity in the right way.
Vandy didn't play crappy against UNA, they were just flat, uninspired, kinda going thru the motions. This very talented team does that much too often. It's time to get laser focused, not time to sleepwalk.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

Levon wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:47 pm
vandy05 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:55 pm Crappy performance? Maybe. But its better to be on the winning side than the losing side of these "struggles". And teams can grow from these types of games or they can get the idea that they can coast by. I trust Coach Corbin to use this opportunity in the right way.
Vandy didn't play crappy against UNA, they were just flat, uninspired, kinda going thru the motions. This very talented team does that much too often. It's time to get laser focused, not time to sleepwalk.
You are much more eloquent than me my friend.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

vandy05 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:53 am
You are much more eloquent than me my friend.
I've been called many things over the years...eloquent has never been among them ;)
Like you, I trust Corbs, and it is a sign of a good team to play at less than, shall we say, optimum efficiency yet still win.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Vandy didn't play crappy against UNA, they were just flat, uninspired, kinda going thru the motions.
Thanks for the "clarification." ;)
vutrain
Commander

Post by vutrain »

Remember, the home team bats last when they are ahead. Who knows, Vandy might have scored a number of runs in the bottom of the unfulfilled 9th making 3-2 a low scored game.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

MrMemorial wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:38 pm
Vandy didn't play crappy against UNA, they were just flat, uninspired, kinda going thru the motions.
Thanks for the "clarification." ;)
Not a problem :D
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

vutrain wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:54 pm Remember, the home team bats last when they are ahead. Who knows, Vandy might have scored a number of runs in the bottom of the unfulfilled 9th making 3-2 a low scored game.
Not sure that I follow you.

The Home team bats last when they (the home team) is tied or losing.

True, Vanderbilt could have scored another run (or even 4 runs with a grand slam). However, that would also mean that our team allowed another one or more runs to North Alabama.

Frankly, UNA SHOULD have scored another run by sending the guy from third base on contact.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Versus75 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:56 pm
vutrain wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:54 pm Remember, the home team bats last when they are ahead. Who knows, Vandy might have scored a number of runs in the bottom of the unfulfilled 9th making 3-2 a low scored game.
Not sure that I follow you.

The Home team bats last when they (the home team) is tied or losing.

True, Vanderbilt could have scored another run (or even 4 runs with a grand slam). However, that would also mean that our team allowed another one or more runs to North Alabama.

Frankly, UNA SHOULD have scored another run by sending the guy from third base on contact.
Especially since he was the one guy on their roster who could actually out-run my mother-in-law.

This was bordering on Chaminade over Virginia territory. Except tiny Chaminade actually had a good record.
Locked Previous topicNext topic