MVP

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

geeznotagain
Admiral

MVP

Post by geeznotagain »

I hereby nominate Bradfield for Geez's Not-Way-Too-Early Vandy MVP Award for 2021. My main caveat is that pitchers are, by my rule, ineligible for the award. I don't know how to fairly compare the impact of an everyday position player vs. the impact of a pitcher. So they'll have to compete for a different award -- the Cy Young or whatever.

In the first part of the year, Young and Keegan were in the lead for MVP. But Young has been in a prolonged slump (hopefully last night will be the beginning of his breakout), and Keegan, even though he's a fine hitter and a pretty good defensive first baseman as well, just doesn't have the impact on the game that EBJr does (IMHO). We have several good hitters. There is only 1 player on the team, and in the SEC, that can do what Bradfield can do. I knew the guy had speed, and I knew that he would be a major contributor to the team this year, but I had no idea coming into the season that he would be THIS good his first year. I am blown away.

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Re: MVP

Post by MrMemorial »

Can a bullpen guy be MVP?

Maldonado:
ERA 0.66
34 K's to 5 walks
Opponents batting average .117
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

MaldaNoNo makes a lot of sense, but EBjr is the most dynamic, game disrupting offensive presence Corbs has ever had. His only apparent weakness is he doesn't look to have a great arm, but he threw out his first baserunner of the season at Louisville earlier in the week. I worried early on that he wouldn't be much of a hitter, but he has squelched that concern. SEC coaches and pitchers will have a party when his eligibility is finally up.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

I'm solidly in the Bradfield camp for this award. (He is also the only player who has signed a ball for me this season.)

I could see Maldo as a strong second place if he could get two saves per weekend. Of course, that relies on Vanderbilt holding a lead in the late innings of Game 3 in a series.
Locked Previous topicNext topic