Florida #2

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Levon
Rear Admiral

Re: Florida #2

Post by Levon »

Good start, 4-pitch looking K, soft groundout to 2nd.
And that's why Bulger is a liability in LF. He's a catcher playing out of position. Completely misjudged what should have been a routine 3rd out. Instead it's a double and the next guy lines a run scoring single to center. Defense has not been kind for Vandy tonight.

Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

And now Kolwyk gets eaten up on a ground ball that should have been fielded. First and third...nope, 2nd & 3rd after a wild pitch. This is starting to look like a Little League game...
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

And now Kolwyk throws wildly to 1st on a routine ground ball. Fortunately, Keegan throws out the guy who was on 2nd trying to score, but the guy on 3rd scored. 9-6 Fla going to 6th. Man...
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

Jones lines a shot to deep left, LF gets turned around but recovers and makes the catch. Kolwyk waves at a strike 3 slider. CJ, who came in to catch in the 5th, soft bouncer to pitcher, easy 1-2-3 for Fla pitcher who suddenly looks to be on cruise control.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

First hitter soft roller to 2nd...gulp...Kolwyk makes the play, 1 out. But 2-HR guy walks on 4 pitches. Next guy parks a big fly on the street beyond the LF berm. High fastball that the dude just turned on. Second week in a row that Owen pitched good for 1 inning (he deserved waaaay better results last inning) but really struggled in his next. Next guy reaches first (sorry, I missed how). Bullpen warming up quickly.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I guess we have conceded this game. Probably a good idea.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

Nice short-hop pick up at first by Keegan, gets the force at 2nd, and Owen nice snag on comebacker for 3rd out. Sticks gotta get going, only 9 outs left.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

admin wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:40 pm I guess we have conceded this game. Probably a good idea.
Not me.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

EBjr & Young both soft groundouts to 2nd, Keegan the same to 3rd. Making it uch too easy for the Fla pitcher.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

Donye Evans in to pitch. Kolwyk eaten up again on a sharp grounder hit right at him in the shift behind second base. Tried to backhanded it instead of getting front of it, correctly ruled a single. Been a tough night for Kolwyk who has otherwise been really good at 2nd this year. One of those nights.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Re: Florida #2t

Post by Levon »

Evans gets a K on a swing-and-miss at a high-and-outside wild pitch (ruled a passed ball), runner moves up to 2nd. Gets the 2nd out on a straightaway fly to Bulger in LF. Walks the next guy, runners at 1st & 2nd, 2-HR guy coming up.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

Gets him on a sharply hit 6-5 force. The Boys have 6 outs left to get something going, score remains 11-6.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

A little Nat King Cole on the commercial break...nice!
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

Unlike Leiter, the Fla pitcher certainly settled in, looks really comfortable in 8th with a pair of looking Ks on close pitches before Thomas beats out an infield single (nice play by SS to nearly get him) and Jones chops one off the plate that then caroomed off 2nd for a single. Fla coach comes out to talk with pitcher, leaves him in. Time for Kolwyk to get some redemption for his defense tonight...and he does, RBI single to LF, 11-7. CJ's turn.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

CJ grounds out to 3rd, nice pick and scoop at first, to bottom of 8th.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

Fisher in to pitch, gets first out on a soft liner to Kolwyk. Next guy singles thru the 5-6 hole. 2nd out on a short fly to CF, nice running catch by EBjr. Fisher picks the runner off 1st on 1-3-6 putout. EBjr to lead off 9th.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

New pitcher, EBjr first-pitch leadoff triple to RF corner. Good start. Slow squibber to SS gets the run in, nice play gets Young at first. Keegan waves at a slider that was never close t the strike zone, 2 outs. LaNeve PH for Bulger, doubles to fence in left-center gap. Still alive. After fouling off three 2-strike pitches, Noland looks at a strike 3 fastball knee-high, right down the middle. Sigh.
Fla wins 11-8.
GrumpyOldDore
Ensign

Post by GrumpyOldDore »

A couple of posters have wondered if Jack Leiter is experiencing some problem affecting his pitching. I've been wondering if the increased attendance might be having an effect. I'm thinking his difficulties began at Tennessee where crowd size had just been increased to 50% of capacity, I believe. Then, against Mississippi State, our crowd size increased, and tonight, another decent sized crowd was at Florida. I don't believe he experienced any considerable crowds last year before the shutdown, and then crowds were limited this year up until a couple of weeks ago. Just wild speculation on my part, but if I were doing the skilled surgery Leiter had been doing, I think the somewhat sudden appearance of crowds might affect my concentration and performance.
GrumpyOldDore
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

Could be. Maybe he is getting a little tired as well? Essentially his first college season and he did have some big pitch counts early on. Was going deep in almost all his games.

Or maybe he is just facing better hitting now.
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
Minoadoc
Rear Admiral

Post by Minoadoc »

concerning Leiter. There was a concern in MLB before the season about pitching. Because of Covid, and a decreased workload in terms of innings pitched, that pitchers this season would not be as effective and not be able to pitch as many innings. So much, that most MLB teams have stacked their rosters with more pitchers than they normally would carry. I guess the theory is that from season to season your workload builds and starters develop the ability to pitch more innings is cumulative, and longer into the game. Leiter is a young man, went from HS, to a shortened first collegiate season. Maybe as the season progresses he is feeling it, not quite a dead arm, but as mentioned, losing location, his velocity seems to be down just a tick, and more hitters are certainly making more hard contact
Locked Previous topicNext topic