Vandy-MSU #3

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Levon
Rear Admiral

Re: Vandy-MSU #3

Post by Levon »

That was one of EBjr's best ABs of the season. Learned from the first 2 slow breaking balls and then just took the third one where pitched. Terrific AB!

Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

Sweet 5-4-3 DP after the 4-strike walk 🥸
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

This guy's strike zone is the very definition of erratic. At least it's both ways
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Vandy still up 7-4 going to the bottom of the 8th.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

Vroom Vroom Vroom!! State defense letting them down, Young needs to bring in 2 more.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Vandy wins 7-4.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

Vandy wins!! 7-4.
Nick Maldonado is earning a new nickname..."Tyler Brown"!
That was a great, emotional team win, and a gut punch for Miss State...good!
DS2001
Rear Admiral

Post by DS2001 »

I was critical of the hitting in a post last night, but they proved me wrong today. What a gutsy win. Enrique Bradfield is a GameChanger. His hitting, and base running were clutch this weekend. On to Florida next, but congratulations to the boys for a big series win. Miss. State is good.
Junnah
Commander

Post by Junnah »

Very small point and not detracting from the Dores’ effort and success this weekend but a couple of posts have referred to State gesturing toward the VU dugout. Isn’t it likely those were directed to the “boisterous” student group on top of the dugout? They were having a lot of fun, some of it perhaps at the expense of State. Lance would be proud.
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

Junnah wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:35 pm Very small point and not detracting from the Dores’ effort and success this weekend but a couple of posts have referred to State gesturing toward the VU dugout. Isn’t it likely those were directed to the “boisterous” student group on top of the dugout? They were having a lot of fun, some of it perhaps at the expense of State. Lance would be proud.
The VU football players' boisterous support of the VandyBoys this weekend was a good example of cross training.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

nyyankeeDore wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:50 pm
Junnah wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:35 pm Very small point and not detracting from the Dores’ effort and success this weekend but a couple of posts have referred to State gesturing toward the VU dugout. Isn’t it likely those were directed to the “boisterous” student group on top of the dugout? They were having a lot of fun, some of it perhaps at the expense of State. Lance would be proud.
The VU football players' boisterous support of the VandyBoys this weekend was a good example of cross training.
As Kyle Peterson said on Saturday referencing the "youngsters" on the dugout, "Oh, to still be in college"
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Lance was there and he was proud: he said after game"they wouldn't let me stand on top of our dugout, but the let the football players!" Good to see Lance enjoy the game and pass the baton.
DivergentDore
Commander

Post by DivergentDore »

Levon wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:55 pm Vandy wins!! 7-4.
My grandson calls him "MaldoNoNo" because batters usually shake their heads walking back to the dugout lol
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

Levon wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:14 pm I like Cooper Davis, seems like a good young man and team leader, but I really don't understand why he keeps playing. He's never been a good outfielder, and he's not hitting much at all. There have to be better alternatives.
My guess is Parker Noland will be in left once Kolwyck comes back...just a guess.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

DivergentDore wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:27 pm
Levon wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:55 pm Vandy wins!! 7-4.
My grandson calls him "MaldoNoNo" because batters usually shake their heads walking back to the dugout lol
"MaldaNoNo" is a winner! My compliments to your grandson...wish I had thought of it ;)
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

baseball1234 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:07 am
Levon wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:14 pm I like Cooper Davis, seems like a good young man and team leader, but I really don't understand why he keeps playing. He's never been a good outfielder, and he's not hitting much at all. There have to be better alternatives.
My guess is Parker Noland will be in left once Kolwyck comes back...just a guess.
That sounds like a good possibility. Bulger's stick and potential have to be in the lineup, but he's scary in the outfield, so DH is the spot for him. He may get better with time and lots of training (not practice), but a team with genuine late-June-in-Omaha aspirations, can't afford such a defensive liability. Sadly, Coop isn't significantly better defensively, and his arm is poor. He even seems to have lost speed over the last couple years as well. He seems like a terrific young man and real team leader, and he has gotten a couple big hits in the last two series, but I find it difficult to believe he's the best third-outfield-option even before Kolwyk returns.
HarpoMarx
Ensign

Post by HarpoMarx »

Personally, I would like to see Bulger in LF, Tate at 2nd, Noland at 3rd and Gonzo at DH. Gonzo's slow feet for any ball hit less than 90 feet and sometimes poor decision making are negatives that are greater than Bulger's OF deficiencies. Gonzalez has looked good when turning the 5-4-3, as long as that was the correct play to make.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

HarpoMarx wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:16 pm Personally, I would like to see Bulger in LF, Tate at 2nd, Noland at 3rd and Gonzo at DH. Gonzo's slow feet for any ball hit less than 90 feet and sometimes poor decision making are negatives that are greater than Bulger's OF deficiencies. Gonzalez has looked good when turning the 5-4-3, as long as that was the correct play to make.
Very defensible (pun intended) argument. Gonzo has kinda settled in at 3rd, but you're right, anything inside 90 feet is an adventure.
Locked Previous topicNext topic