MLB in Nashville? (Subscription required)

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

dcdore
Admiral

MLB in Nashville? (Subscription required)

Post by dcdore »

Last edited by dcdore on Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
Golddore68
Admiral

Re: MLB in Nashville?

Post by Golddore68 »

I couldn’t read the article because it requires me to set up an online NYT account and I’m not going to do that.

I think MLB would be great in Nashville. I’ve attended hundreds of Sounds games over the last 40 years. I went to games in the 80s when Willie McGee was a star player for the Sounds (then the Yankees stupidly traded him to the Cardinals for relief pitcher Bob Sykes, who was a bust). I attended Sounds games when Buck Showalter was a Sounds star. The Sounds had several star players come through Nashville back in the 80s when they were the AA affiliate of the Yankees.

Everyone thought in the 80s that Nashville would be a prime city to get a MLB franchise. No one in their wildest dreams would ever have imagined that Nashville would get an NFL team and an NHL team but not a MLB team by 2020.
Starkiller
Commander

Post by Starkiller »

What exactly is the outlook of a small market, (relatively) low budget MLB team? What kind of corporate sponsorship dollars are available to support the team? And is the city going to spend even more money on another new stadium knowing they last 2 are aging somewhat.

In the NFL and NHL a small market team can compete. You can’t do that in baseball. Not with any consistency. Not unless you have a billionaire owner willing to blow through money just to win.

Personally I think Nashville needs to stick to AAA for now.
Starkiller
Commander

Re: MLB in Nashville? (Subscription required)

Post by Starkiller »

And you might be able to read the story with this link (even without an account):

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... _VFDzvT0FS
VandyfanKY
Lieutenant

Post by VandyfanKY »

Starkiller wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:17 pm What exactly is the outlook of a small market, (relatively) low budget MLB team? What kind of corporate sponsorship dollars are available to support the team? And is the city going to spend even more money on another new stadium knowing they last 2 are aging somewhat.

In the NFL and NHL a small market team can compete. You can’t do that in baseball. Not with any consistency. Not unless you have a billionaire owner willing to blow through money just to win.

Agree. Too many home games needing a consistent draw. The post-pandemic economy will hit professional sports hard, plus Nashville is facing a major upgrade to the Titans' stadium by 2027. Maybe another billionaire wants to spend money; otherwise, MLB appears unlikely.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

VandyfanKY wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:38 am
Starkiller wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:17 pm What exactly is the outlook of a small market, (relatively) low budget MLB team? What kind of corporate sponsorship dollars are available to support the team? And is the city going to spend even more money on another new stadium knowing they last 2 are aging somewhat.

Agree. Too many home games needing a consistent draw. The post-pandemic economy will hit professional sports hard, plus Nashville is facing a major upgrade to the Titans' stadium by 2027. Maybe another billionaire wants to spend money; otherwise, MLB appears unlikely.
News reports about the effort have stated the ownership group does not plan to seek public funding for the stadium, so upgrades at Nissan stadium would not have any impact on this.
Locked Previous topicNext topic