There is serious talk of the 2020 amateur draft being cancelled by mlb

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

roanoke
Admiral

There is serious talk of the 2020 amateur draft being cancelled by mlb

Post by roanoke »

I guess the logic is the draft assigns players to go play in the summer - and if there are no leagues this summer... why shell out big money and hire players not to play? There are reports, anyway, that MLB and the union seem to be discussing this.

The other cost saving feature is that it would mean fewer first round pay days for MLB teams between 2020 and 2021 (i.e. half the players who would have been first rounders in those two drafts would be second rounders in the 2021 draft if there is no 2020 draft. This could also be quite a big deal with the number of first round commitments we generally lose to the big money of first round selections. If there is no draft this year, we may have a better shot at keeping them - although they would still have to commit for three years?

Owners are going to lose a lot of money this year. They have to recoup it somehow... At the same time, a very rough development for players counting on a pay day...

Something to watch anyway. Maybe we keep more VandyBoys together next year than we thought?

I sure miss watching them.

admin
Site Admin

Re: There is serious talk of the 2020 amateur draft being cancelled by mlb

Post by admin »

Another issue is all this talk about giving players an extra year of eligibility which sounds nice but how are they going to do it? Seniors staying another year have to get in graduate school. Teams can only give a combined 11 1/3 scholarships for baseball. Are we going to tell the 2021 commits that they have to wait another year to start college? I think it's going to be a big, costly mess.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
lidore12
Ensign

Post by lidore12 »

What an utter mess this is. I can’t see any path to making this work for everyone. Feel bad for the guys who will miss out on getting paid if this actually happens. The silver lining I hope for is that kids can benefit from earning their degree or getting a grad degree if forced to stay.

How did schools used to work having a JV and Varsity squad at the same time? It’d probably be way too expensive for the majority of schools but idk, could schools field a JV team and just have them compete in-conference? Just something I’ve kicked around in my head.

The deeply deeply selfish part of me is nearly salivating at the thought of having our full recruiting class on campus, plus the seniors and draft-eligible juniors, etc. I think we’d be able to field two teams at the risk of having them meet up in Omaha.
oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Post by oakparkDore »

lidore12 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:50 pm I think we’d be able to field two teams at the risk of having them meet up in Omaha.
I’ll cheer on Gold. You can have Black. :D
Locked Previous topicNext topic