Nice article on Yaz and his newfound power

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

DoreZag
Captain

Nice article on Yaz and his newfound power

Post by DoreZag »

One of the knocks on Yaz when he was drafted was the lack of power. I remember reading an article around that time that had a quote from his grandfather where Carl said he felt Mike would gain power as he progressed through the minor leagues. That is exactly what has happened. His home run total for a full year would project to 25-30 dingers. We could probably say the same thing about Reynolds. I don't think anyone saw him as a 25-30 homer guy.

https://www.mccoveychronicles.com/2019/ ... -sf-giants

Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Re: Nice article on Yaz and his newfound power

Post by Good2BGold »

DoreZag wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:15 pm One of the knocks on Yaz when he was drafted was the lack of power. I remember reading an article around that time that had a quote from his grandfather where Carl said he felt Mike would gain power as he progressed through the minor leagues. That is exactly what has happened. His home run total for a full year would project to 25-30 dingers. We could probably say the same thing about Reynolds. I don't think anyone saw him as a 25-30 homer guy.

https://www.mccoveychronicles.com/2019/ ... -sf-giants
Thanks for sharing that, DoreZag. I like all the videos embedded in that piece showing Yaz going yard with a few opposite doubles thrown in. His swing looks really good. He's grown a lot stronger since his days at VU.
Titans309fan
Admiral

Post by Titans309fan »

I was surprised that Austin Riley was mentioned in the article as a possible rookie of the year candidate. He was before the All-Star break, but he has been terrible since (plus he has missed games lately to injury).

Yaz looks good out there. It's too bad the Giants have slipped back to under .500 (though they are just 4.5 games out of the final wild card spot).
lidore12
Ensign

Post by lidore12 »

Talk about newfound power, three home runs tonight and the game isn't over!
boatrocker
Captain

Post by boatrocker »

VandyBoys are certainly making an impact in the majors this year.
Locked Previous topicNext topic