Sports Illustrated story about Buehler

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

historybill
Admiral

Sports Illustrated story about Buehler

Post by historybill »

Great story in Sports Illustrated about Walker Buehler:

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/08/13/walke ... 20-%20List

commadore
Admiral

Re: Sports Illustrated story about Buehler

Post by commadore »

"There have been 1,330 starts in World Series history. Only twice did a pitcher allow no more than two base runners, with no walks and at least seven strikeouts. The other was Don Larsen in his 1956 perfect game."

This statement says it all.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

historybill wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:42 pm Great story in Sports Illustrated about Walker Buehler:

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/08/13/walke ... 20-%20List
Indeed a great story. Thank you for sharing that, Bill.
EagleDore
Rear Admiral

Post by EagleDore »

Super article. One thing that strikes me is how Buehler is such a student of the game...he's a smart pitcher and very progressive in his approach to the game. Thanks for linking the article!
DoreZag
Captain

Post by DoreZag »

What a well-written and well-researched article. There aren't many articles this detailed anymore and we don't have many writers like Verducci anymore.
Titans309fan
Admiral

Post by Titans309fan »

Terrific article. I had forgotten that Buehler had Tommy John surgery after the draft. He is turning into one of the top pitchers of the game. The only thing I hate is that he will be a thorn in the side of the Braves for years to come. It will be fascinating to see an Acuna vs. Buehler matchup in the NLCS this year (I hope).
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

Every time I hear Buelher's name, I can 't help but wonder "what if" he had been healthy for Game 3 of the finals. I think we would have just celebrated our 3rd championship instead of our 2nd.
oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Post by oakparkDore »

Commodoredave wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:31 am Every time I hear Buelher's name, I can 't help but wonder "what if" he had been healthy for Game 3 of the finals. I think we would have just celebrated our 3rd championship instead of our 2nd.
Agreed because 2 runs might well have been enough. That said, we had almost completely stopped hitting after Game 1. It’s like we didn’t know how to hit junkball pitchers with slow fastballs.
Locked Previous topicNext topic