DeMarco

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

commadore
Admiral

DeMarco

Post by commadore »

I don't tweet, but looked up @demarco27 and he says "thenks New York for all you have done, but right now still anchoring down."
Sounds like he will go if they come up with the right amount, but right now they haven't. If you go to the yankees draft tracker, it shows him unsigned without comment. In others it says unlikely to sign or will not sign. for instance, Jack Leiter's line says "won't sign.". (Great news there). So, it seems Pat is truly on the fence for now.

Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Re: DeMarco

Post by Good2BGold »

commadore wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:08 pm I don't tweet, but looked up @demarco27 and he says "thenks New York for all you have done, but right now still anchoring down."
Sounds like he will go if they come up with the right amount, but right now they haven't. If you go to the yankees draft tracker, it shows him unsigned without comment. In others it says unlikely to sign or will not sign. for instance, Jack Leiter's line says "won't sign.". (Great news there). So, it seems Pat is truly on the fence for now.
That tweet was from right after the draft when he was still playing in the NCAA tournament.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Still, there is nothing on the yankees site either and they have signed 17 of their top 19 draftees.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

commadore wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:14 pm Still, there is nothing on the yankees site either and they have signed 17 of their top 19 draftees.
I realize that, but when he said "still anchoring down," he was referring to the season that was still going on, not to any decision he had made about signing or staying.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

OK, fine. But he still hasn't signed and the Yankees site reflects that. They have still signed 17 of top 19 and he is one of the two.
roanoke
Admiral

Re: fighting chance

Post by roanoke »

I recognize that the Yankees may pull out all the stops between now and the deadline - but it seems we at least have a fighting chance here with DeMarco - and I also see no sign that Duval has signed.

It is an interesting situation. Again, both of these guys have contributed mightily to a National Championship and I wish them well whatever they decide to do.

The really interesting question is: objectively, what is the best thing for them to do? In the case of DeMarco, I really see him being a star next year and moving way up in the draft - but he is a native New Yorker and the yankees are the Yankees. Still, as a soph, he should get a very good deal next year as a junior - and i suspect he and Martin will be the two biggest bats on a very good team that will have dominant pitching. I am not sure he will pull himself up to Bleday type status improvement - but he will go in the top 10 rounds and be a regular on tv all spring, probably batting third and playing a prominent role. I see a lot of upside to his staying - although I understand leaving if the Yankees "show him the money."

Duval did not go very high - but we have all noted that seniors get screwed by MLB. Just the same, he was a back-up catcher this year & will probably be a starting catcher next year on one of the best pitching staffs in college baseball. I think he will also move up mightily by being Kumar Rocker and Hickman and Brown and Leiter's catcher... but seniors still get screwed even if they move up. He has more financial reason to go - but he also has a golden opportunity to anchor a great pitching staff. He is a very good hitter - and that is not likely to change either.

Obviously, keeping these two guys is probably the difference between our being really good and being a contender to repeat. I say this not just from a skill and performance outlook, but from an upperclassman leadership basis. Infante, Paul and Raby and Co. - the seniors who came back - made a big difference on this squad. With the championship, there has been a big exodus which is understandable. Keeping a few extra experienced clubhouse guys around will matter - of course, keeping Martin is huge and Ray will add upperclass presence too. But the difference between a 75% turnover in fielding positions and a 50% turnover in fielding positions is not insignificant. I would love to see DeMarco and Duval stay - as i think we would be a threat to contend again. I understand if they go - but I take some comfort in the fact that, at least, it seems to be going down to the wire. If they go, I hope they get the money they deserve.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

The Yankees signed their second rounder Josh Smith of LSU today for slot value of $967,700.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Quick math tells me the Yankees are about $80,000 over budget. Does that mean they cannot offer DeMarco more than $125,000? Or does it just mean they can pay him whatever and then tack on a penalty?
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

They have paid the penalty in the past, but will they for a 17th rounder.
HopsLikeHolwerda
Lieutenant

Post by HopsLikeHolwerda »

Signed with Yankees this afternoon.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

Good for Pat. I'l miss him, but I suspect this is his dream.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

HopsLikeHolwerda wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:25 pm Signed with Yankees this afternoon.
Not doubting you, but could you list a site for that? It isn't yet on draft tracker and I can't find it anywhere.

Just found an instagram picture of him sitting at a table in a NYY uni signing a contract. Still, I'd like to know how much. I'm betting it was a pretty good amount, as he could have probably gotten first or second round money next year.
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

Great for him. He was sitting on a huge season next year, but fortunately we have depth in the OF.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Oh well, two and done is better than one and done. Good luck (except that I hate the Yankees).
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

geeznotagain wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:04 pm Oh well, two and done is better than one and done. Good luck (except that I hate the Yankees).
Good luck, Pat (without qualification).
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
HopsLikeHolwerda
Lieutenant

Post by HopsLikeHolwerda »

commadore wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:32 pm
HopsLikeHolwerda wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:25 pm Signed with Yankees this afternoon.
Not doubting you, but could you list a site for that? It isn't yet on draft tracker and I can't find it anywhere.

Just found an instagram picture of him sitting at a table in a NYY uni signing a contract. Still, I'd like to know how much. I'm betting it was a pretty good amount, as he could have probably gotten first or second round money next year.
I didn't have a media source at the time I posted. I just happen to have a few personal contacts on the staff and amongst the current players. This has been close for a few days. The Yankees were simply waiting to see how much they had left to offer Pat, and he was going to take it. He really wanted to be a Yankee.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

HopsLikeHolwerda wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:12 am
commadore wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:32 pm

I didn't have a media source at the time I posted. I just happen to have a few personal contacts on the staff and amongst the current players. This has been close for a few days. The Yankees were simply waiting to see how much they had left to offer Pat, and he was going to take it. He really wanted to be a Yankee.
I wish him all the luck in the world (except when playing the Braves), but sure would have liked to have him one more year.
Looks like he signed for $297,000, way over 17th round money.
Locked Previous topicNext topic