Franklin TO the Royals King to the Marlins

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

quiesedba

Franklin TO the Royals King to the Marlins

Post by quiesedba »

Clarke, Franklin, Paul, King Gobillot have signed, Gillis, Scott, Bleday, Fellows, Demarco, Raby, Infante and DuVall will soon.

Hoping Duvy stays and Demaco

commadore
Admiral

Re: Franklin TO the Royals King to the Marlins

Post by commadore »

Source? You have 19 posts and expect us to think you know all? Only Clarke and Paul show on draft tracker.
gymbo
Rear Admiral

Post by gymbo »

First post, poster is tracking correctly, Commadore relax and watch a couple of Rockers’ last two or three outings🙂
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Maybe so, I'd still like a source and NEITHER of you have offered one.
DivergentDore
Commander

Post by DivergentDore »

Franklin, Gobillot, and Clarke have all stated on their Twitter accounts they've signed. The draft signings trackers are basically crap this year.
Versus75
Admiral

Re Signings

Post by Versus75 »

I don’t care who signs. Nothing I can do about it.
They all helped us to a championship—even Gobillot in some ways—and deserve whatever they can get. If DeMarco and Duvall spend another season in Black and Gold, that’s great too.
Last edited by Versus75 on Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quiesedba

Post by quiesedba »

Scott signed with the RedSox..Infante to Marlins as I said would happen
... you want proof? so the only ones left are Bleday, Fellows, Duval , Gillis, Raby, and Demarco
Last edited by quiesedba on Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
quiesedba

Re: Re Signings

Post by quiesedba »

Versus75 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:37 am
quiesedba wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:57 pm Clarke, Franklin, Paul, King Gobillot have signed, Gillis, Scott, Bleday, Fellows, Demarco, Raby, Infante and DuVall will soon.

Hoping Duvy stays and Demaco

Spelling aside, if he knows so much and knows that they WILL sign, why HOPE they will stay?
Watch and see , I wish they would stay but I have been told they will sign.....
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

Since the OP is too important or whatever to share sources, here's A.J. Franklin's tweet about signing with the Royals:

[tweet][/tweet]
Vandyfan22
Commander

Post by Vandyfan22 »

What is happening?
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Good2BGold wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:47 am Since the OP is too important or whatever to share sources, here's A.J. Franklin's tweet about signing with the Royals:

[tweet][/tweet]
Thanks. They are all showing up on draft tracker now. Still, neither the Yankees site nor draft tracker shows DeMarco signing.
oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Post by oakparkDore »

While I agree with the premise that we need to vet new posters somewhat as they are often fans of other teams in disguise (or the umpteenth incarnation of some banned poster), there is nothing here to indicate our new friend is a troll. He may well have inside info. So let’s chill out y’all.

I don’t see anything wrong with hoping Pat D stays as he’s only a sophomore. I really think he goes a whole lot higher if he stays, though I suppose he may really want to be a Yankee. In his case being drafted as a junior vs sophomore won’t cost him money, so he should bet on himself IMO.

Duvy has a tough business decision to make. Will he go enough higher in the draft to offset the senior class discount we’re seeing?
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

oakparkDore wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:40 pm

I don’t see anything wrong with hoping Pat D stays as he’s only a sophomore. I really think he goes a whole lot higher if he stays, though I suppose he may really want to be a Yankee. In his case being drafted as a junior vs sophomore won’t cost him money, so he should bet on himself IMO.
I agree with this. I understand the junior vs. senior distinction, the senior has virtually no leverage. But I am surprised when a player with 2 years of college credits elects to forego the 3rd, unless he's a high draft choice. I guess the potential for injury is a factor, as is the possibility of tanking in playing year #3.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

quiesedba wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:52 am wow .... all I can say.... I post what I know is fact and you want me to give you some kind of proof? I dont owe you any proof .. choose to beleive or not to, I really dont care. The fact is I have forgetten more about baseball, the draft, and this team than you will probably even know. And I have read your posts. Read all my "19 posts" and give me one example of where I have been incorrect ? Let me say I hope Demarco and Duvy will stay , but its my highly informed opinion they will sign. Also I am in no way begrudging these players but celebrating them and happy for them . You know what kind ...............................................................
Thanks for the updates!!! Until you’ve been proven wrong, I see no reason to doubt you....keep posting! AD* AD*
lidore12
Ensign

Post by lidore12 »

geeznotagain wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:55 pm

I agree with this. I understand the junior vs. senior distinction, the senior has virtually no leverage. But I am surprised when a player with 2 years of college credits elects to forego the 3rd, unless he's a high draft choice. I guess the potential for injury is a factor, as is the possibility of tanking in playing year #3.
I mostly get the distinction but isn’t there kind of a “hangman’s paradox” thing going on? Like does it really give you leverage if you’re a sophomore and get drafted saying you can go back to school another year, then as a junior you get drafted but if you go back to school again you’ll just be a senior who gets drafted and has no leverage. So aren’t you basically the senior with no leverage even as a sophomore?

Not sure if that makes any sense...
KarenYates
Site Admin

Post by KarenYates »

A reminder that if someone is inappropriate or violates the terms of service, please private message Don or I. Copying their posts and the inappropriate language on the message thread only exacerbates the issue.
SV#
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

lidore12 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:10 pm

I mostly get the distinction but isn’t there kind of a “hangman’s paradox” thing going on? Like does it really give you leverage if you’re a sophomore and get drafted saying you can go back to school another year, then as a junior you get drafted but if you go back to school again you’ll just be a senior who gets drafted and has no leverage. So aren’t you basically the senior with no leverage even as a sophomore?

No, you aren't basically a senior with no leverage as a sophomore because as a sophomore and as junior, you still have leverage. That's why Joe Gobillot, a 21-year-old draft-eligible redshirt freshman who made two appearances in 2019 for a total of two innings, got $222.5K ($97K over slot value) and Paul got $57.5K and Scott got $50K. Gobillot had leverage and Paul and Scott didn't. Philip Clarke had two years of leverage, and that's why Toronto was willing to pay almost $350K over slot value — he got $500K. We saw what an extra year did for JJ in terms of his draft value, so the Blue Jays got Clarke cheap, in my opinion, and I'm guessing in theirs as well. Had he opted to return for his junior season, I don't think there is any question he would have continued to improve both as a hitter and behind the plate, and might have played himself into the first round in 2020.
lidore12
Ensign

Post by lidore12 »

Good2BGold wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:43 pm
lidore12 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:10 pm

No, you aren't basically a senior with no leverage as a sophomore because as a sophomore and as junior, you still have leverage. That's why Joe Gobillot, a 21-year-old draft-eligible redshirt freshman who made two appearances in 2019 for a total of two innings, got $222.5K ($97K over slot value) and Paul got $57.5K and Scott got $50K. Gobillot had leverage and Paul and Scott didn't. Philip Clarke had two years of leverage, and that's why Toronto was willing to pay almost $350K over slot value — he got $500K. We saw what an extra year did for JJ in terms of his draft value, so the Blue Jays got Clarke cheap, in my opinion, and I'm guessing in theirs as well. Had he opted to return for his junior season, I don't think there is any question he would have continued to improve both as a hitter and behind the plate, and might have played himself into the first round in 2020.
So is it just something to the effect of “I have value that hasn’t been revealed yet” so you’re getting a discount on me in say the 8th round rather than the 3rd round if I were to go back to school and make good on that value.

I guess what I was trying to say is if your choices as a junior are sign the contract or go back to school and be a Senior with no leverage, then you already have no leverage and the choice is illusory.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

A player will, in most all cases, become the same pro player whether he leaves after his junior year or senior year. The leverage is in the fact the player has already shown his potential as a junior (or sophomore) or even as a high schooler and this may be the only opportunity for the pro team who drafts him to get him into their system. If he says no, a different team may draft him the following year.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

"AJ Franklin turns pro"

Post by Good2BGold »

Local story on AJ from The Wilson Post:

AJ Franklin turns pro
Locked Previous topicNext topic