Tim Corbin

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

historybill
Admiral

Tim Corbin

Post by historybill »

I know it is piling on, but two things about this guy.

First of all... I've been a Vanderbilt fan long enough to see basketball coaches leave because they had a successful season and football seasons leave because they had a successful season. I've been a fan long enough to always say to myself "This is great, but when is something going to go wrong here?"

Isn't it great to know that this guy is actually STAYING?

Also... today (July 4) he could have been anywhere. But there he was, waving at people at his Whitland NEIGHBORHOOD 4th of July parade and picnic, making humble comments from the podium when asked to say a few words. No TV cameras, no Sports Illustrated, just Tim Corbin thanking his neighbors for the fact that they put out black and gold balloons on their mailboxes when he got back from Omaha.

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Re: Tim Corbin

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

There were two tweets this week that demonstrate exactly what kind of human Tim Corbin is:

[tweet][/tweet]

[tweet][/tweet]
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Cool, simply cool.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

He was guest at Friday Night Opry, too. He is a man if all seasons and tastes. Simply the best.
Lundy
Captain

Re: Tim Corbin & Todd Turner

Post by Lundy »

Appreciate the Twitter posts, good to view since I'm not a tweeter.

One thing about Corbin that I have not seen posted - this season at least.

I think we should acknowledge Todd Turner as the AD that hired Corbin.

Turner has taken a lot of heat over the years, but he certainly made one of the best hires in Vanderbilt athletic director history. Or maybe just THE BEST.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

The best.
DivergentDore
Commander

Post by DivergentDore »

Turner hired Corbs but I highly suspect he wouldn't have invested in baseball to keep him from jumping ship to Auburn.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

DivergentDore wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:44 pm Turner hired Corbs but I highly suspect he wouldn't have invested in baseball to keep him from jumping ship to Auburn.
Turner hired Corbin because our football coach - Bobby Johnson recommended him to Turner who had never heard of him. Bobby had worked at Clemson when they both were there and Bobby once told me: "Corbin worked harder than any of the coaches at Clemson." He also explained how he had to convince Turner that he (Corbin) was a superb coach and would transform the baseball program at Vanderbilt. So we owe Bobby Johnson some credit on this hire. Corbin and Johnson are still good friends.

In a recent conversation with Johnson, he said that "the players really play hard for Corbin and for the team." That, of course, the mark of a great coach to get the elite athletes to concentrate on the team.
Locked Previous topicNext topic