Clarke signed

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Clarke signed

Post by Commodoredave »

$500k. All the best to him. That kid can really rake and was our most consistent hitter in Omaha.

oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Re: Clarke signed

Post by oakparkDore »

Wow, didn’t realize Toronto had that much left in the pot. Good luck to Phillip!
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

hate to see him go, but his work is done here.

Ty and Keegan will be our catchers next year.
ANCHORDOWN1
Rear Admiral

Post by ANCHORDOWN1 »

DeMarco signed too, according to Austin Martin's Instagram
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

Hate to lose Pat.....but good luck boys!!!
roanoke
Admiral

sophomore signings

Post by roanoke »

You have to appreciate those championships.

They’re hard to get. A lot of things have to fall in place.

We’ll be doing some rebuilding next year.

But no one can take that championship away. Thanks for the memories - I’ll be rooting for all these guys at the next level.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

on the one hand losing so many from this year's team is tough and on the other hand it makes it possible to build next year's team without the expectations of this year's team. It is a whole new ballgame!
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

DeMarco still not on draft tracker.
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

I note that, despite some chatter, there is nothing official about DeMarco signing yet.

Obviously, I hope he stays. The draw of the Yankees has to be strong. I do think his draft status will do nothing but skyrocket next year. With Clarke gone - this is even more true. He and Martin would be the main bats on a team with potentially phenomenal pitching. He deserves better than the 24th round - but a team can always sweeten the pot.

We will see - he was huge in Omaha. That ninth inning rally against Louisville will probably be the longest lasting memory I have of that CWS - and he was right in the middle of it. His homer against Michigan in game three righted the ship after the not-great start...

I am guessing - but know nothing - that Duval will stay with Clarke gone. He, too, will have the opportunity to be a star - catching a stable of future MLB pitchers.

anyone who decides to cash in - the more power to them. Again, thanks for a tremendous run.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

roanoke wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:15 am I note that, despite some chatter, there is nothing official about DeMarco signing yet.

Obviously, I hope he stays. The draw of the Yankees has to be strong. I do think his draft status will do nothing but skyrocket next year. With Clarke gone - this is even more true. He and Martin would be the main bats on a team with potentially phenomenal pitching. He deserves better than the 24th round - but a team can always sweeten the pot.

We will see - he was huge in Omaha. That ninth inning rally against Louisville will probably be the longest lasting memory I have of that CWS - and he was right in the middle of it. His homer against Michigan in game three righted the ship after the not-great start...

I am guessing - but know nothing - that Duval will stay with Clarke gone. He, too, will have the opportunity to be a star - catching a stable of future MLB pitchers.

anyone who decides to cash in - the more power to them. Again, thanks for a tremendous run.
FYI, DeMarco was picked in the 17th round. You must be thinking of where he was drafted out of high school.
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

Demarco is going to sign, and I'm not going to be surprised if Duval does. He was drafted by the A's who value the kind of hitter he is with the very high walk rate. Even where he was drafted, he'll get a bigger bonus now than he would after a senior season.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

Commodoredave wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:56 am Demarco is going to sign, and I'm not going to be surprised if Duval does. He was drafted by the A's who value the kind of hitter he is with the very high walk rate. Even where he was drafted, he'll get a bigger bonus now than he would after a senior season.
Just curious, why is that? If you have a great year as a senior, and your stock improves, and you get drafted higher, why would that mean a lower bonus?

I don't understand how all this works, so someone enlighten me! :D
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

VUaskew wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:22 am
Commodoredave wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:56 am Demarco is going to sign, and I'm not going to be surprised if Duval does. He was drafted by the A's who value the kind of hitter he is with the very high walk rate. Even where he was drafted, he'll get a bigger bonus now than he would after a senior season.
Just curious, why is that? If you have a great year as a senior, and your stock improves, and you get drafted higher, why would that mean a lower bonus?

As a senior you have no power to bargin. As a junior, you can always walk. Perfect example is Scott who had a huge year but got a whopping $60,000 bonus.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

commadore wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:41 am

As a senior you have no power to bargin. As a junior, you can always walk. Perfect example is Scott who had a huge year but got a whopping $60,000 bonus.
I think you mean Ethan Paul, who also had a huge year, because according the the draft tracker, Scott hasn't signed yet. But that doesn't change your point. As seniors, they both have lost their leverage. The value of Paul's pick (274) was $152.3K. and he signed for $60K. As the 317th pick with a value of $142.2K Scott will probably get less than $60K. Still, they both may be getting more money than they would have last year when Paul was drafted in the 28th round and Scott was picked in the 31st.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Good2BGold wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:05 pm
commadore wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:41 am

I think you mean Ethan Paul, who also had a huge year, because according the the draft tracker, Scott hasn't signed yet. But that doesn't change your point. As seniors, they both have lost their leverage. The value of Paul's pick (274) was $152.3K. and he signed for $60K. As the 317th pick with a value of $142.2K Scott will probably get less than $60K. Still, they both may be getting more money than they would have last year when Paul was drafted in the 28th round and Scott was picked in the 31st.
Sorry, you are correct.
Versus75
Admiral

Re: Seniors signing on the cheap

Post by Versus75 »

Can someone link me to a list of 2019 signings (beyond just first round draftees)?

I found this one from 2018.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/draft/

When you see a guy drafted in the top 10 rounds with slotted bonus values of $136,000 and up who gets far less, you can guess that he was a college senior with no leverage other than a threat to play in an Independent league.

Wofford pitcher Adam Scott was drafted #133 overall late in the fourth round. He had a darned good season (for Wofford) with a 3.14 ERA and 137 strikeouts to 18 walks. His slot value was $406,300. Signed for $50,000 bonus.
SENIOR. No leverage.

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/st ... 674820002/

A fifth round draftee signed for $5,000. Another one $7,500. A seventh round draft choice with a slotted bonus value of $201,800 signed for $2,500.
A dozen ninth rounders and the majority of the tenth rounders (19) signed for $10,000 or less.

It's unfortunate, but that's the way it is. I think a lot of college seniors are drafted late in the top 10 rounds because they can be signed for less and the club can use the difference to pay more to other players ... even some drafted in the eleventh round or later.

The max for those rounds is supposedly $125,000, but I believe a team can pay more if it saved cash in the top 10 rounds. Note that no Round 11 or Round 12 player signed for LESS than $125,000. That may be why our seniors were drafted late in the top 10 rounds.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

Versus75 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:37 pm Can someone link me to a list of 2019 signings (beyond just first round draftees)?

When you see a guy drafted in the top 10 rounds with slotted bonus values of $136,000 and up who gets far less, you can guess that he was a college senior with no leverage other than a threat to play in an Independent league.

Wofford pitcher Adam Scott was drafted #133 overall late in the fourth round. He had a darned good season (for Wofford) with a 3.14 ERA and 137 strikeouts to 18 walks. His slot value was $406,300. Signed for $50,000 bonus.
SENIOR. No leverage.

A fifth round draftee signed for $5,000. Another one $7,500. A seventh round draft choice with a slotted bonus value of $201,800 signed for $2,500.
A dozen ninth rounders and the majority of the tenth rounders (19) signed for $10,000 or less.

It's unfortunate, but that's the way it is. I think a lot of college seniors are drafted late in the top 10 rounds because they can be signed for less and the club can use the difference to pay more to other players ... even some drafted in the eleventh round or later.

The max for those rounds is supposedly $125,000, but I believe a team can pay more if it saved cash in the top 10 rounds. Note that no Round 11 or Round 12 player signed for LESS than $125,000. That may be why our seniors were drafted late in the top 10 rounds.
MLB 2019 Draft Tracker
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Versus75 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:37 pm Can someone link me to a list of 2019 signings (beyond just first round draftees)?

SENIOR. No leverage.

https://www.mlb.com/draft/tracker

If you type in Vanderbilt under schools it will bring up all VU draftees. Likewise, if you type in the name of our signees, it will tell you if they were drafted and/or signed.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

I believe that was a tad early on the DeMarco signing. He may yet sign, but even the NY Yankees board has him unsigned. As you see below with the link, the Yankees have signed 18 of their top 20 and DeMarco is one of those. He is not, however, listed as "won't sign" or "unlikely to sign," so they must think they can still get him.

https://www.pinstripealley.com/2019/6/6 ... nos-greene
Locked Previous topicNext topic