Moving onto tonight....

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

historybill
Admiral

Moving onto tonight....

Post by historybill »

Yes, that was a stinker. Even though the score didn't get out of hand early, it felt like a loss right off the bat, with our pitcher having trouble throwing strikes and theirs throwing only about 7 times to get out of the first inning (which probably should have been 3-0, not 2-0).

I guess we are in the same situation we were two and a half weeks ago.

You guys think Vanderbilt will do this? Will Rocker pull us back again?

NYCVandyMan
Seaman

Re: Moving onto tonight....

Post by NYCVandyMan »

Yes. I believe it will be a 3-game CWS.
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

Agreed that game felt like a loss from the get go. I'm a glass is half empty kind of guy when it comes to Vandy sports so I usually expect the worst. But I'm not feeling confident we can comeback because our hitting has been in a funk since coming to Omaha. 16 runs in 4 CWS games isn't going to cut it. And even against Duke in the super regionals, we only scored 8 in the first two games before we pushed them around on Sunday. Obviously good pitching will shut down good hitting but it feels like we cant manufacture runs when we arent mashing the ball.
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

I was surprised at the size of the VU crowd last night. We were bigger than the Big Blue and despite the play made a lot of noise - more than Mich. Let us hope that the team feeds off the support here and pulls this out, but no doubt that all the momentum is with Michigan. I saw no panic in our players, but I saw more emotion with Michigan.
SCSA
Captain

Post by SCSA »

There's a lot of pressure when you know you're supposed to win. There's a bit less now that you're halfway to bowing out of the tournament.

I gotta say, though, losing in two to a school whose fans aren't even aware they have a baseball team would be one of the most bitter disappointments in my decades long, painful history of being a Vandy fan.
vandybrad
Commander

Post by vandybrad »

I'm nervous. This team hasn't hit worth a lick in awhile. What was the most dangerous lineup from top to bottom in my opinion has now become very mediocre.
StarTraveler
Commander

Post by StarTraveler »

SCSA wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:41 am There's a lot of pressure when you know you're supposed to win. There's a bit less now that you're halfway to bowing out of the tournament.

I gotta say, though, losing in two to a school whose fans aren't even aware they have a baseball team would be one of the most bitter disappointments in my decades long, painful history of being a Vandy fan.

Hopefully our guys will come out relaxed and ready to take care of business tonight like so many other times this season.

As for the Michigan fans not knowing, maybe it’s because it’s finally getting coverage in the Michigan papers but they’re pretty excited about it and amped up for tonight’s game. Their multi-sport board referenced in another thread has a lot of baseball activity today.

That said, let’s win the next two so we don’t have to think about it!
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

We faced their toughest pitcher (for us) last night. I think K-Rock pitches us to victory tonight to set up a deciding game tomorrow night.
Cardsanddores
Rear Admiral

Post by Cardsanddores »

Henry was pitching well enough to shut us out... we managed to score 4. I think our bats woke up just a little last night. Hopefully they are fully awake for the next two.
Good2BGold wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:24 am We faced their toughest pitcher (for us) last night. I think K-Rock pitches us to victory tonight to set up a deciding game tomorrow night.
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

I'm going to take the half -full approach to last night as well. We didn't use a pitcher who will see the mound with a lead, so as shaky as the bullpen can be, the best are still out there. Also, we faced their best, a lefty, and put 4 runs on the board. The bats need to carry us home after carrying us through the regular season, and I believe this is perhaps the best lineup we have ever had top to bottom.
vujoe
Vice Admiral

Post by vujoe »

I think we have Michigan exactly where we want them!
5ForVU
Captain

Post by 5ForVU »

As anemic as the bats seem to have been last night, we put up 4 against their shut down pitcher. 4 should be enough to win in a CWS game. Pitching let us down early and then again in relief. Hopefully Kumar can shut them down just enough tonight. This team shouldn’t have to score 8-10 runs to win.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Everyone seems to be swinging for the fences. When we just need bat on the ball. Connection. We seem to be watching good pitches and then swing strike 3 on a bad pitch. I think the ROCK will keep their runs down we just need to get ours....and early. Take some pressure off of Rocker.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

5ForVU wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:07 pm As anemic as the bats seem to have been last night, we put up 4 against their shut down pitcher. 4 should be enough to win in a CWS game. Pitching let us down early and then again in relief. Hopefully Kumar can shut them down just enough tonight. This team shouldn’t have to score 8-10 runs to win.
Fellows' ERA for the year is over 4. So statistically 4 runs wouldnt be enough on average.

I'm also not sure the guy they threw last night is their ace pitcher. He was their saturday starter and has the worst ERA of the three pitchers in their weekend rotation. He did have the great game last week though.
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
Locked Previous topicNext topic