Day 1 pitchers?

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Mrcommodore
Rear Admiral

Day 1 pitchers?

Post by Mrcommodore »

I read in a preview that both teams will be using their Day 1 starters, in our case Fellows. Will someone with better baseball knowledge than mine comment on whether we should expect their full effort? It seems like their rest will be slightly reduced from normal. Don't they normally get a full 7 days to rest?

egbertsouse
Captain

Re: Day 1 pitchers?

Post by egbertsouse »

Mrcommodore wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:00 am I read in a preview that both teams will be using their Day 1 starters, in our case Fellows. Will someone with better baseball knowledge than mine comment on whether we should expect their full effort? It seems like their rest will be slightly reduced from normal. Don't they normally get a full 7 days to rest?
Fellows last pitched a week ago Sunday. He has an extra day of rest. If Henry is going for Michigan he last pitched last Monday so he has a full week of rest.
Given that some regular season SEC series now go Thursday, Friday, Saturday they should be used to going with +-1 day of rest.
Michigan has only used 3 pitchers in their 3 games of the CWS so far. Their #2 and #3 both pitched in their games 1 and 3. If they go Tuesday they will be on short rest.
If there is a game Wednesday, Hickman will be short 2 days of rest.
accent grave over the e
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

All three of their starters look pretty good. Good ERAs and K/BB ratio's. It looks like during the season they've used Kauffman as their Friday night starter, Henry as the Saturday guy, and Criswell Sunday. But here in Omaha, they've used Criswell as their closer for both games Kauffman started.

Since Kauffman pitched on Friday, I have to think Henry is the guy tonight. And then tomorrow, Kauffman will be on short rest. I almost wonder if they'd go with Criswell as he only threw about 30 pitches that night. (Frankly I'm surprised they used him because that point in the game they were up by 9 runs). And Criswell actually has the best ERA of the three so its not like it's a big dropoff if they started him Tuesday. And then maybe save Kauffman for Wed. Although who they use tomorrow night may vary depending on the outcome tonight.
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
egbertsouse
Captain

Post by egbertsouse »

fldore wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:46 am All three of their starters look pretty good. Good ERAs and K/BB ratio's. It looks like during the season they've used Kauffman as their Friday night starter, Henry as the Saturday guy, and Criswell Sunday. But here in Omaha, they've used Criswell as their closer for both games Kauffman started.

Since Kauffman pitched on Friday, I have to think Henry is the guy tonight. And then tomorrow, Kauffman will be on short rest. I almost wonder if they'd go with Criswell as he only threw about 30 pitches that night. (Frankly I'm surprised they used him because that point in the game they were up by 9 runs). And Criswell actually has the best ERA of the three so its not like it's a big dropoff if they started him Tuesday. And then maybe save Kauffman for Wed. Although who they use tomorrow night may vary depending on the outcome tonight.
If I had to guess I'd say its Criswell tomorrow.
accent grave over the e
Locked Previous topicNext topic