"Vandy whistler says he was told to stop whistling or be ejected"

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Georgiadore
Captain

Re: "Vandy whistler says he was told to stop whistling or be ejected"

Post by Georgiadore »

Titans309fan wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:40 pm On 104.5 today, it was brought up that Adam Sparks of the Tennessean has written way more articles about the whistlers than on Vandy baseball since travelling to Omaha. Is that what we as fans really want? Do we care more about these two fans than the baseball team???

They are absolutely a distraction that causes other fanbases to hate Vandy as well as limiting the coverage for the fans that do care about Vandy baseball. There is hurting everyone and it needs to stop.
I'm no fan of the whistling on and on - but that statement by them doesn't look accurate as I look at the Tennessean website. It sounds like a rather 104.5ish statement. I may be incorrect on their miscount, but I don't think so.

Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

vu2003rpl wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:24 pm
Titans309fan wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:40 pm On 104.5 today, it was brought up that Adam Sparks of the Tennessean has written way more articles about the whistlers than on Vandy baseball since travelling to Omaha. Is that what we as fans really want? Do we care more about these two fans than the baseball team???

They are absolutely a distraction that causes other fanbases to hate Vandy as well as limiting the coverage for the fans that do care about Vandy baseball. There is hurting everyone and it needs to stop.
BINGO!!!!!! I have said this many times... they draw attraction to VU baseball but only in a negative way.

As teams get eliminated, local Omaha folks do not pick up VU as their team for the rest of the tournament because of these guys. It'll be great when we end up in the finals and have 95% of the crowd cheering against us.

But hey, keep cheering for these guys. They're big time fans. They aren't doing it for attention... :roll:
AMEN!!!! They keep many VU fans away and turn off sound for TV! TO say no one is cheering because the Pied Pipers aren't there whistling is just a dumb statement! I heard folks cheering now that the insane whistling stopped. These jokers are self-centered attention grabbers! Anytime you paint "Whistler" on your damn truck it no longer is about Vandy but them!!! Hope they learn to stand up and lead cheers vocally!! How do potential VU fans have been turned off from going to games and watching on TV when even some Vandy fans stopped going to games or turning theTV off(or at least sound).
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

I call total BS on that claim by 104.5. It's not even close. There have been four or five times as many stories about the team as about the whistlers. Do you mind telling us on which show you heard that. I'm guessing the one with that well-known UT bozo and Vandy hater Chad Withrow.
WFDDDore
Ensign

Post by WFDDDore »

Nashmann wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:01 pm
vu2003rpl wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:24 pm

BINGO!!!!!! I have said this many times... they draw attraction to VU baseball but only in a negative way.

As teams get eliminated, local Omaha folks do not pick up VU as their team for the rest of the tournament because of these guys. It'll be great when we end up in the finals and have 95% of the crowd cheering against us.

But hey, keep cheering for these guys. They're big time fans. They aren't doing it for attention... :roll:
AMEN!!!! They keep many VU fans away and turn off sound for TV! TO say no one is cheering because the Pied Pipers aren't there whistling is just a dumb statement! I heard folks cheering now that the insane whistling stopped. These jokers are self-centered attention grabbers! Anytime you paint "Whistler" on your damn truck it no longer is about Vandy but them!!! Hope they learn to stand up and lead cheers vocally!! How do potential VU fans have been turned off from going to games and watching on TV when even some Vandy fans stopped going to games or turning theTV off(or at least sound).
Nashmann, you are so correct. I didn't know about the self-promoting "whistler painted on the truck" stunt but that really does tell the story. This is not about 20 year old college students playing sports. It's about a couple of old men, begging for attention. It's rather sad.
Titans309fan
Admiral

Post by Titans309fan »

It was on the mid-day 180.

I count 5 articles on the whistlers, though there are at least 5 articles on other aspects of Vandy baseball. So you are right that it isn't a majority on the whistler. However, that is still a lot of articles.
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

All I know is that, come August 31, I want the Georgia fans out of my seats at Dudley Field.
oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Post by oakparkDore »

Today will be quite telling for Preacher. Though I don’t doubt his fanhood, I’m among many who believe his whistling (more than Jeff’s), is mostly self aggrandizement. He knows he’s going to be kicked out and make a ruckus. Does he create that fuss?

Whether I like it or not, I’ll be right there in nearby seats to witness this likely sideshow. Even though I really only care about the game....
KudzuLeague
Captain

Post by KudzuLeague »

If it were only "Jeff" the whole Whistler saga would never have occurred. "Preacher" (I can't believe I know these Bozos' names) is the real problem and he absolutely should be removed from the stadium.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

admin wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:56 pm I can't believe people are bothered watching the game on TV by the whistler. You can hardly hear it even with the volume turned up. You could probably here a bird outside your house singing much louder.
I don't know what you are talking about. I hear a constant shrill noise. Repeated. Over and over again. That sounds louder than the announcers. My thought when watching part of the game Sunday was "darn ... he traveled to Omaha"
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

vu2003rpl wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:47 pm I hate those guys but seriously.... On what grounds can you be ejected for whistling?? This is ridiculous.

But hey - I'm happy to be rid of them audibly. But I'm mad as hell that ESPN has this much power.
You can be ejected for causing a disruption. This isn't someone who got warned and kicked out for whistling a tune on their way to the bathroom ... regardless of whether they were whistling or 'had a whistle' they are making an extremely loud sound, repeated literally hundreds of times, ongoing throughout the game, that is unpleasant to players, fans, and tv alike.
CLTDore
Captain

Post by CLTDore »

These guys are loving the attention that they are getting. This is one of the most commented on posts (sans counting in-game chats) and they are eating this up. There are thousands of our fans that don't draw attention to themselves and who are bothered by these guys. This has nothing to do with opposing teams' fans calling and complaining. It has everything to do with the fact that these 2 are annoying pains in the rear to almost everyone. I hope that TD Ameritrade kicks them out (without the fanfare they are looking for).
rEvUrB
Captain

Post by rEvUrB »

I'm sure these guys started this as a way to support their team but as articles are written about them and their pictures get posted online, it's just become attention whoring. Give it a rest already. Giving me a headache.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

Titans309fan wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:35 am It was on the mid-day 180.

I count 5 articles on the whistlers, though there are at least 5 articles on other aspects of Vandy baseball. So you are right that it isn't a majority on the whistler. However, that is still a lot of articles.
As I suspected, that's Withrow's show.

I count two whistler stories (and I'm not counting photo essays or updates to earlier stories) since the supers: one about the fact one of the guys wasn't going to be there at the beginning of the CWS from last week and one about the guy who is there being threatened with ejection from yesterday which was updated with additional info at some point. Are you counting stories from before the end of the super regional?
Last edited by Good2BGold on Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

rEvUrB wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:08 am I'm sure these guys started this as a way to support their team but as articles are written about them and their pictures get posted online, it's just become attention whoring. Give it a rest already. Giving me a headache.
Bingo. It has gone too far and now it's dividing our fanbase.

We have our biggest game in 4 years that starts today in a few hours, and there are 3 threads on this board with Vandy fans arguing about the whistler(s). Stop giving these guys attention, and let's play ball.

Go Dores AD*
HopsLikeHolwerda
Lieutenant

Post by HopsLikeHolwerda »

This whole debate has raged too long. Yes, they are self-promoting. Yes, it is about them and not the team. Yes, it gives us an unnecessary bad reputation as a fanbase and program. And yes, it is very distracting and shrill when watching on TV to the point that I (and many others) mute the TV and listen to Joe. Casual fans turn the channel, and that impacts ESPN ratings. ESPN has a lot of money in this deal, so they can make TD Ameritrade do whatever they like. And TD Ameritrade will do it, because they love the ESPN check that comes in for this event each year. Both TD Ameritrade and ESPN have every right to tell the Whistlers (it makes me absolutely sick to have to capitalize that word, but it's where we are) to stop or leave.

But most importantly, Corbs was asked about them after the first game and his response was telling. He chose not to "engage" the question, but it was extremely apparent that he is sick of being asked about the Whistlers. They have effectively upstaged our program. That much cannot be argued. If they stopped, the Vandyboys would still be great. if they left and never came back, the Vandyboys would still be great. I don't know how much more clearly it can be stated: WE DO NOT NEED THEM!

I am honestly surprised at how many of our fanbase are defending these guys so vehemently. "Save the Whistler" is not a hill I'm going to die on. In fact, I'll gladly help anyone get rid of them. If Dudy Noble has a "No Cowbell" policy (and it does), then we can implement "no purposefully distracting noise" at The Hawk.
Titans309fan
Admiral

Post by Titans309fan »

Good2BGold wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:27 am

I count two whistler stories (and I'm not counting photo essays or updates to earlier stories) since the supers: one about the fact one of the guys wasn't going to be there at the beginning of the CWS from last week and one about the guy who is there being threatened with ejection from yesterday which was updated with additional info at some point. Are you counting stories from before the end of the super regional?
https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports ... 492921001/

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports ... 409652001/

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports ... 472162001/

-----------------------------------------------

I did accidently count two that were before the CWS.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

Titans309fan wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:45 am
Good2BGold wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:27 am

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports ... 492921001/

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports ... 409652001/

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports ... 472162001/

-----------------------------------------------

I did accidently count two that were before the CWS.
And I counted the top two links as a single story, so there have been three whistler stories since the super regional. (Sparks had a journalistic obligation to write the top two because threatening to eject a VU fan is newsworthy in the Nashville market.) Even with three whistler stories, by my count there have been at least eight stories about the team by Adam Sparks since the super regional, so what Withrow said is BS. (I am inferring it was Withrow because he's drunk on Haterade when it comes to VU.)
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

They should have an enclosed, soundproof area where compulsive whistlers could watch the game.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

HopsLikeHolwerda wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:42 am This whole debate has raged too long. Yes, they are self-promoting. Yes, it is about them and not the team. Yes, it gives us an unnecessary bad reputation as a fanbase and program. And yes, it is very distracting and shrill when watching on TV to the point that I (and many others) mute the TV and listen to Joe. Casual fans turn the channel, and that impacts ESPN ratings. ESPN has a lot of money in this deal, so they can make TD Ameritrade do whatever they like. And TD Ameritrade will do it, because they love the ESPN check that comes in for this event each year. Both TD Ameritrade and ESPN have every right to tell the Whistlers (it makes me absolutely sick to have to capitalize that word, but it's where we are) to stop or leave.

But most importantly, Corbs was asked about them after the first game and his response was telling. He chose not to "engage" the question, but it was extremely apparent that he is sick of being asked about the Whistlers. They have effectively upstaged our program. That much cannot be argued. If they stopped, the Vandyboys would still be great. if they left and never came back, the Vandyboys would still be great. I don't know how much more clearly it can be stated: WE DO NOT NEED THEM!

I am honestly surprised at how many of our fanbase are defending these guys so vehemently. "Save the Whistler" is not a hill I'm going to die on. In fact, I'll gladly help anyone get rid of them. If Dudy Noble has a "No Cowbell" policy (and it does), then we can implement "no purposefully distracting noise" at The Hawk.
It's the Voltaire thing: I do not agree with a thing that you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it.
VandyFan888
Ensign

Post by VandyFan888 »

CLTDore wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:14 pm
VandyFan888 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:41 pm Whistles are different than someone whistling. There is no basis for him to be ejected. I'd say sue them.
Seriously? Sue them?
Absolutely, it's the American way.
Locked Previous topicNext topic