There's a long thread on the MSU board re whistler

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

commadore
Admiral

There's a long thread on the MSU board re whistler

Post by commadore »

They claim he said he was told to shut up or be ejected. Ok, fine. If I hear one flippin cowbell, I may fly up tonight and raise holy hades to the administration. The mightier than though attitude of those cow bell ringing two teethed rednecks makes me want to puke.

OldDude
Vice Admiral

Re: There's a long thread on the MSU board re whistler

Post by OldDude »

Don't care for the whistler, but the cow bells are even worse and a specific violation of many stadium and/or league rules.
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

Of course the cowbells suck. Two wrongs don't make a right. Just because one is a natural sound doesn't excuse it when it goes over the top constantly, which IMO it clearly does and has for years.
vujoe
Vice Admiral

Post by vujoe »

Commodoredave wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:42 pm Of course the cowbells suck. Two wrongs don't make a right. Just because one is a natural sound doesn't excuse it when it goes over the top constantly, which IMO it clearly does and has for years.
Which one is a natural sound?
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

vujoe wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:45 pm
Commodoredave wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:42 pm Of course the cowbells suck. Two wrongs don't make a right. Just because one is a natural sound doesn't excuse it when it goes over the top constantly, which IMO it clearly does and has for years.
Which one is a natural sound?
Ok, "man-made".
KudzuLeague
Captain

Post by KudzuLeague »

I think the more tasteful of the two whistlers is in Omaha currently. Not the incessant one.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

commadore wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:13 pm They claim he said he was told to shut up or be ejected. Ok, fine. If I hear one flippin cowbell, I may fly up tonight and raise holy hades to the administration. The mightier than though attitude of those cow bell ringing two teethed rednecks makes me want to puke.
Commadore, would you mind sharing the link to the MSU board? Also, if you are so inclined, please call ESPN and complain about their treatment of the whistlers. Here's a post I made on another thread with the phone info:

This is happening in part because a bunch of Mississippi State haters have called ESPN to complain about the whistlers. I encourage everyone on VandyMania to call ESPN and complain about them taking action against the whistlers. To illustrate how absurd it is, you might also, as I did, complain about the Mississippi State fans yelling at the games because it is disrupting your enjoyment of the broadcast. The number for ESPN customer support is 888-549-3776. Select option 5 to talk with someone about TV programming.
4timenatlchamps
Admiral

Post by 4timenatlchamps »

Good2BGold wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:53 pm
commadore wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:13 pm They claim he said he was told to shut up or be ejected. Ok, fine. If I hear one flippin cowbell, I may fly up tonight and raise holy hades to the administration. The mightier than though attitude of those cow bell ringing two teethed rednecks makes me want to puke.
Commadore, would you mind sharing the link to the MSU board? Also, if you are so inclined, please call ESPN and complain about their treatment of the whistlers. Here's a post I made on another thread with the phone info:

This is happening in part because a bunch of Mississippi State haters have called ESPN to complain about the whistlers. I encourage everyone on VandyMania to call ESPN and complain about them taking action against the whistlers. To illustrate how absurd it is, you might also, as I did, complain about the Mississippi State fans yelling at the games because it is disrupting your enjoyment of the broadcast. The number for ESPN customer support is 888-549-3776. Select option 5 to talk with someone about TV programming.
I might call them to praise them for doing the right thing and apologize for the avalanche of callers drawing a false equivalence between "yelling"--a completely normal thing to do at a sporting event--and deliberately inflicting pain on people's eardrums.

Why do we find it so hard to believe that fans of other schools have difficulty enjoying the game? Why do we want them to not enjoy the game? You realize that everyone hates these two except some oddly high percentage of our fan base right, even those who are otherwise neutral observers? I don't get this uncritical defense of them, and I find it obnoxious that we want so badly for viewers of our games to be miserable.
vebiltdervan
Fleet Admiral

Post by vebiltdervan »

4timenatlchamps wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:06 pm...Why do we find it so hard to believe that fans of other schools have difficulty enjoying the game?...
I can't speak for fans of ALL other schools, but the fans of the one & only school that encourages extensive, near-continuous ringing of COWBELLS!!!!! is in no position to complain about anything that detracts from the enjoyment of any game.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

elitedawgs.com
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

4timenatlchamps wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:06 pm

I might call them to praise them for doing the right thing and apologize for the avalanche of callers drawing a false equivalence between "yelling"--a completely normal thing to do at a sporting event--and deliberately inflicting pain on people's eardrums.

Why do we find it so hard to believe that fans of other schools have difficulty enjoying the game? Why do we want them to not enjoy the game? You realize that everyone hates these two except some oddly high percentage of our fan base right, even those who are otherwise neutral observers? I don't get this uncritical defense of them, and I find it obnoxious that we want so badly for viewers of our games to be miserable.
What I realize is the whistlers get our fans going, which helps the team. Corbs and the players are cool with it, so I am, too. The whistling used to bother me tremendously, but I've accepted the fact the whistlers are part of the games, and now they don't bother me at all. Maybe you should try accepting their presence and see if that helps.
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

Total BS for State to complain about this considering their cow bells. As much as I hate the whistlers (and I'd be happy to be rid of their noise pollution), I can't understand on what grounds they can actually be ejected. It's not against the rules to be annoying... If it was then VU fans would outnumber most every other SEC team once all the Blue mist, Bammers, Barners, Vawls etc al were kicked out.

I don't like these guys at all but I see no reason they should be ejected.
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

Total BS for State to complain about this considering their cow bells. As much as I hate the whistlers (and I'd be happy to be rid of their noise pollution), I can't understand on what grounds they can actually be ejected. It's not against the rules to be annoying... If it was then VU fans would outnumber most every other SEC team once all the Blue mist, Bammers, Barners, Vawls etc al were kicked out.

EllistonVU
Vice Admiral

Post by EllistonVU »

vu2003rpl wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:01 pm
How about a compromise? They don't whistle and they don't get ejected.

That way they can watch and enjoy the game they spent money to attend... and everybody else who spent money on a ticket can enjoy the game...and everybody watching on cable/satellite (who also spent money) can enjoy the game... and people listening free on radio can all enjoy the game.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

EllistonVU wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:34 pm

That way they can watch and enjoy the game they spent money to attend... and everybody else who spent money on a ticket can enjoy the game...and everybody watching on cable/satellite (who also spent money) can enjoy the game... and people listening free on radio can all enjoy the game.
The whistlers pay for their tickets too just like the cow bell folks. A lot of people complain about you in the forum Elliston but I haven't banned you. Should we start doing that every time someone is slightly offended by someone else? I don't like people who stand for the entire game? Should I get them booted from the game? I paid and can't see what's going on well. If someone is sitting two rows behind me and spouts a curse word, should they be booted? My son and I sat in the stands for one football and got dirty looks from other VU fans for hollering loudly on third downs? Should we have been booted for that?
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

The amount of rent-free space that Vanderbilt's baseball program occupies in the minds of Bulldog fans is rather impressive...
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

I can't link from here, but googled msu baseball boards and looked at the first one. The post above is correct: elitedawgs.com
EllistonVU
Vice Admiral

Post by EllistonVU »

admin wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:41 pm
EllistonVU wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:34 pm

The whistlers pay for their tickets too just like the cow bell folks. A lot of people complain about you in the forum Elliston but I haven't banned you. Should we start doing that every time someone is slightly offended by someone else? I don't like people who stand for the entire game? Should I get them booted from the game? I paid and can't see what's going on well. If someone is sitting two rows behind me and spouts a curse word, should they be booted? My son and I sat in the stands for one football and got dirty looks from other VU fans for hollering loudly on third downs? Should we have been booted for that?
If I break forum rules to an egregious extent, then ban me. But I don't see how supporting Malcolm Turner's decision to terminate a coach who lost 59 games in 3 seasons is all that outrageous and after all, this is what most complaining people were butt hurt about.

I've never commented on the Miss.St. cowbells on here before, but I did see where they are actually not supposed to be allowed at the newly remodeled Dudy Noble Stadium. So, I vote for no whistling AND no cowbells.
Locked Previous topicNext topic