VU fielding

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

VU fielding

Post by Ndorefin »

I have noticed many have commented on our defense being outstanding, but it appears to me that every ground ball is an adventure. We just can’t seem to make the routine play. Fielding the ball doesn’t seem to be a big problem, but throwing to first or second has been extremely shaky. With 3 of our infielders playing new positions, their lack of experience is evident. Ray has made many outstanding plays at 2nd, but we can’t seem to turn a routine short to second to first DP. In fact, we have turned fewer DPs than our opponents. I guess Swanson and Kaiser spoiled us at short, but I have yet to see Paul make anything other than a routine play. We have made a few errors in the tourneys, which could have been costly, and I hope it doesn’t ending end biting us in the behind.

jimmybenton
Seaman

Re: VU fielding

Post by jimmybenton »

My thoughts exactly hope the infield gets it together
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

This is one of those cases where the numbers, which are excellent, don't necessarily tell the story. Paul had a great year, but Kaiser was perhaps the best we have ever had at SS. Ray was jumping on balls like they were grenades early in the year, but he has developed a bit more of a natural rhythm as the season has progressed. A-Mart is doing a fine job, but out of position. Even Julian has made a couple of miscues lately.

In the OF, Demarco doesn't break nearly as well as Cooper Davis did when he held that spot. Bleday has the arm, but not a ton of range. Scott has been solid compared to years past when LF was a total adventure.

We won't win tonight giving away outs and free bases. At our best, we make the routine plays, and that's the minimum required for success in the next 8 days.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Commodoredave wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:27 am This is one of those cases where the numbers, which are excellent, don't necessarily tell the story. Paul had a great year, but Kaiser was perhaps the best we have ever had at SS. Ray was jumping on balls like they were grenades early in the year, but he has developed a bit more of a natural rhythm as the season has progressed. A-Mart is doing a fine job, but out of position. Even Julian has made a couple of miscues lately.

In the OF, Demarco doesn't break nearly as well as Cooper Davis did when he held that spot. Bleday has the arm, but not a ton of range. Scott has been solid compared to years past when LF was a total adventure.

We won't win tonight giving away outs and free bases. At our best, we make the routine plays, and that's the minimum required for success in the next 8 days.
To be fair, Julian has made two errors, both in the same game. That is two in 441 Chances. Not bad in any book.
VandyFan888
Ensign

Post by VandyFan888 »

You must not watch many other college games to be complaining about our defense.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

VandyFan888 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:37 pm You must not watch many other college games to be complaining about our defense.
I’m not concerned about anyone else and you seem to be in the minority if you believe our defense is as great as everyone makes it out to be. Our hitting has covered a few of our shortcoming this year and I’ve seen enough good teams play to recognize good defense.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

VandyFan888 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:37 pm You must not watch many other college games to be complaining about our defense.
I bet Auburn would take Vanderbilt's defense right about now...
VandyFan888
Ensign

Post by VandyFan888 »

Ndorefin wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:16 pm
I’m not concerned about anyone else and you seem to be in the minority if you believe our defense is as great as everyone makes it out to be. Our hitting has covered a few of our shortcoming this year and I’ve seen enough good teams play to recognize good defense.
Rosa Parks was also in the minority. See how that worked out?
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Every fanbase still in the tournament is worried about 3 things for their team: fielding, hitting and pitching. We have a great team - enjoy.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

We finished FIRST in the SEC in fielding. How horrible.
EllistonVU
Vice Admiral

Post by EllistonVU »

commadore wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:53 am
Commodoredave wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:27 am This is one of those cases where the numbers, which are excellent, don't necessarily tell the story. Paul had a great year, but Kaiser was perhaps the best we have ever had at SS. Ray was jumping on balls like they were grenades early in the year, but he has developed a bit more of a natural rhythm as the season has progressed. A-Mart is doing a fine job, but out of position. Even Julian has made a couple of miscues lately.

To be fair, Julian has made two errors, both in the same game. That is two in 441 Chances. Not bad in any book.
Major league gold glover Paul Goldschmidt has 4 errors in 70 games this season.
Julian has 2 in 66.
Locked Previous topicNext topic