Vandy will play Mississippi State on Tuesday at 6 pm CT

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

admin
Site Admin

Vandy will play Mississippi State on Tuesday at 6 pm CT

Post by admin »

They beat Auburn 5-4 tonight.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
commadore
Admiral

Re: Vandy will play Mississippi State on Tuesday at 6 pm CT

Post by commadore »

No, Auburn beat Auburn allowing MSU to advance.
VUDU
Lieutenant

Post by VUDU »

We're the road team. Ugh.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Figures
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

Epic meltdown by Auburn. The kid literally had to take one step and reach out for a game ending tag, or execute a throw you make 98 of 100. Just a gut wrenching way to lose on that stage.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I like that Auburn coach. Really nice guy but I think that he may have had a Bryce Drew effect on his team. Too nice, no pressure to do things right in practice. Players need to be a little afraid of their head coaches. He's a great guy though. I like him. I liked Drew too.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Wouldn't it be nice, though, if Mason and Stackhouse showed up for our next game like AU had?
CLTDore
Captain

Post by CLTDore »

commadore wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:52 am Wouldn't it be nice, though, if Mason and Stackhouse showed up for our next game like AU had?
Pearl has never met a camera he didn't like. Frankly I don't care if Stackhouse shows up. I'd rather he be building the basketball program. The only people I care about showing up are the players on the team. Hopefully yesterday was the infrequent silent bats day that we seem to have every now and then. Fortunately, one player carried us through on offense. Obviously, we can't have another performance like that against a really good Ms. State team.
lidore12
Ensign

Post by lidore12 »

CLTDore wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:15 am
commadore wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:52 am Wouldn't it be nice, though, if Mason and Stackhouse showed up for our next game like AU had?
Pearl has never met a camera he didn't like. Frankly I don't care if Stackhouse shows up. I'd rather he be building the basketball program. The only people I care about showing up are the players on the team. Hopefully yesterday was the infrequent silent bats day that we seem to have every now and then. Fortunately, one player carried us through on offense. Obviously, we can't have another performance like that against a really good Ms. State team.
Agreed. I like the idea of the coaches all supporting each other, especially when Corbs probably has taught Mason a lot and could teach Stackhouse a lot too, but what’s better for Vandy athletics as a whole? Two extra fans in the stands, or the coaches hitting the recruiting trail hard/refining strategy/whatever coaches do to make their teams better.

I also agree that I’d rather have a more potent offensive day but we have already beaten state 1-0 this year, we’ve won a good amount of close, low-scoring games lately, and State’s offense didn’t seem to be working so well until the Auburn collapse in the 9th. That said, I’d rather put up Radford level numbers on them if we can manage it!
Titans309fan
Admiral

Post by Titans309fan »

We should face JT Guinn. He is a first round draft pick (30th pick by the Dodgers), but he is also a rightie, which should help our lineup.

He is 8-4 with a 3.36 ERA. In his 80.1 innings, he has given up 69 hits, 35 runs (30 earned), 18 walks, 103 strikeouts, and just 1 homer. He also leads the team with 13 wild pitches.

His stats are quite similar to Rocker's. Rocker (10-5) has 87.1 innings, 80 hits, 38 runs (34 earned), 18 walks, 97 strikeouts, 2 homers, and 7 wild pitches.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Fortunately for us, Rocker's worst performances were earlier in the year. He has progressed greatly as the season has gone along. Doubt we will see anything like last week, but I don't expect to see a TCU type performance either.
VUDU
Lieutenant

Post by VUDU »

I'm reading that Peyton Plumlee is starting for State.
EllistonVU
Vice Admiral

Post by EllistonVU »

admin wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:30 am I like that Auburn coach. Really nice guy but I think that he may have had a Bryce Drew effect on his team.
A t.v. reporter asked the Auburn baseball coach why they lost and he said it was because he needed to get Barry Booker another year of eligibility and couldn't get it.

That would be a Coach Drew excuse.
Titans309fan
Admiral

Post by Titans309fan »

VUDU wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:46 pm I'm reading that Peyton Plumlee is starting for State.
You may be correct. https://mississippitoday.org/2019/06/17 ... to-happen/

State will counter with Peyton Plumlee, an Olive Branch senior who has been sparkling lately, shutting down Miami in regional play and then powerful Stanford in the Super Regional.

Many had anticipated a freshman All-America matchup of Rocker vs. State’s heralded JT Ginn, who famously turned down $2.8 million from the Los Angeles Dodgers to play baseball at State.

But Ginn has had a sore arm lately and Plumlee has been splendid. And there’s another factor.

Lemonis said he was opting for Plumlee because “he gives us the best chance with this matchup. He’s been good against left-handers, and six out of their nine in the lineup are lefties. They remind me a lot of that Miami lineup we faced…”
ANCHORDOWN1
Rear Admiral

Post by ANCHORDOWN1 »

I have a feeling (especially so with Michigan in the drivers' seat on the other side) that tomorrow night is going to go a LONG way towards determining a champion. Whoever wins has to be a prohibitive favorite to win it all.
VandyFan888
Ensign

Post by VandyFan888 »

Michigan has 2 really good starting pitchers and, should they get into the finals, that's all you need to win it all.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

Ginn hasn’t pitched in the post season, at all, and I don’t believe Plumlee has much to be concerned with...his ERA has been climbing since the beginning of May.
Last edited by Ndorefin on Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
KudzuLeague
Captain

Post by KudzuLeague »

I can't believe how much I care about winning this. I need to get a life. Go DORES!
Locked Previous topicNext topic