VU - UL Interesting Stat

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

geeznotagain
Admiral

VU - UL Interesting Stat

Post by geeznotagain »

FWIW, our right-handed batters today were 4 for 10, with 11 total bases.

Our left-handed batters today were 1 for 16, with 1 total base.

Titans309fan
Admiral

Re: VU - UL Interesting Stat

Post by Titans309fan »

Vandy is vulnerable to good lefties on the mound, and Detmers is an excellent lefty pitcher. When you see Vandy scoring in double digits, it is usually against righties.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

Bleday got a hit his first time up, then, basically, 2 intentional walks around a fly out. They walked DeMarco twice and Ray twice, two right handed hitters. They had to pitch to Martin because he was followed by Bleday. Paul, Clarke and Scott need to start hitting! That’s two of our 3 starting seniors. I’m so happy for Infante....he should see some good pitches batting in front of Martin.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Basically the pressure is off Infante. He got drafted late, very late, meaning that he probably won't be a pro baseball player. As such, he doesn't have to worry about making a team. If he does, it is gravy. Thus, that has taken some pressure off him. As they say, he is now playing with house money. Second, and this is maybe the most important, he has for the most part quit swinging at those sliders/curves that are coming in down the middle, but end up two feet outside. That means they have to throw him a strike. He has upped his average from the mid .150s to nearly .250 during this season. That is pretty strong.
VandyFan888
Ensign

Post by VandyFan888 »

As a team we have a higher batting average against lefties than we do righties, ,321 vs, .314.
It is NOT true that lefties give us more problems than righthanders, that's a media myth espoused mostly by Chris Burke and Ben McDonald.
It IS TRUE that great pitchers give us troubles, just like they do everybody else, that's why they are great pitchers.
Detmers was a great left-handed pitcher. So were the others that gave us problems this year:
Hancock, right-handed
Campbell, right-handed
Doxakis, right-handed
Crochet, left-handed
Lacey, left-handed
Duke right-handed starting pitchers (we killed the left-hander)
Small, left-handed
Locey, right-handed
Sikkema, left-handed

The common ingredient is "great pitcher", not which hand they throw with.
Titans309fan
Admiral

Post by Titans309fan »

Ok, I will trust you. I did hear it during the broadcasts during the SEC tourney, so I assumed it was true.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

VandyFan888 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:14 pm As a team we have a higher batting average against lefties than we do righties, ,321 vs, .314.
Not to quibble, but what is your source for that stat?
3rdFloorDyer
Captain

Post by 3rdFloorDyer »

Also, are those BAs Against all right handed and left-handed pitchers, or just the so-called “great pitchers”? The latter would be more telling.
DeefromAtlanta
Admiral

Another VU - UL Interesting Stat

Post by DeefromAtlanta »

Detmers only walked 27 batters during the year. He walked 6 on Sunday in a little over 5 innings.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Lies, damn lies, and statistics. :)
VandyFan888
Ensign

Post by VandyFan888 »

geeznotagain wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:40 pm
VandyFan888 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:14 pm As a team we have a higher batting average against lefties than we do righties, ,321 vs, .314.
secsports.com
Look under media tab.
I promise I don't make stuff up.
VandyFan888
Ensign

Post by VandyFan888 »

Titans309fan wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:26 pm Ok, I will trust you. I did hear it during the broadcasts during the SEC tourney, so I assumed it was true.
Chris Burke is the one who spreads that myth about us hitting poorly against left-handers so that's understandable. Ever notice how he never actually quotes real statistics when he says that? I've sent him the link to the correct info via Twitter so it's not like he hasn't seen the data.
VandyFan888
Ensign

Post by VandyFan888 »

Titans309fan wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:40 pm Vandy is vulnerable to good lefties on the mound, and Detmers is an excellent lefty pitcher. When you see Vandy scoring in double digits, it is usually against righties.
Please site your source for this data as I don't think it's accurate.
VandyFan888
Ensign

Re: Another VU - UL Interesting Stat

Post by VandyFan888 »

DeefromAtlanta wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:04 pm Detmers only walked 27 batters during the year. He walked 6 on Sunday in a little over 5 innings.
It was a very tight strike zone. To his credit, Fellows adjusted, Detmers didn't.
Haptown
Lieutenant

Post by Haptown »

VandyFan888 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:02 pm Chris Burke is the one who spreads that myth about us hitting poorly against left-handers so that's understandable. Ever notice how he never actually quotes real statistics when he says that? I've sent him the link to the correct info via Twitter so it's not like he hasn't seen the data.
I have watched hundreds of games at the Hawk, and you will never find your answer in any baseball statistics. The problem is with those lefthanded pitchers that throw that slow junk. It just takes a while to adjust their timing to the slow stuff because they don't see it in practice. By the 3rd time around, the LHP is being creamed. As the year has gone along, they have been attacking these pitchers better because the opposing teams have been using these slow LH junk pitchers more because they believe that is their only chance.
Last edited by Haptown on Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

VandyFan888 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:00 pm
secsports.com
Look under media tab.
I'm not trying to be difficult or combative, but I don't see a media tab on the secsports.com homepage.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Haptown wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:45 pm
VandyFan888 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:02 pm Chris Burke is the one who spreads that myth about us hitting poorly against left-handers so that's understandable. Ever notice how he never actually quotes real statistics when he says that? I've sent him the link to the correct info via Twitter so it's not like he hasn't seen the data.
I have watched hundreds of games at the Hawk, and you will never find your answer in any baseball statistics. The problem is with those lefthanded pitchers that throw that slow junk. It just takes a while to adjust their timing to the slow stuff because they don't see it in practice. By the 3rd time around, the LHP is being creamed. As the year has gone along, they have been attacking these pitchers better because the opposing teams have been using these slow LH junk pitchers more because they believe that is their only chance.
And in years past that would have worked.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

geeznotagain wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:50 pm

secsports.com
Look under media tab.
I'm not trying to be difficult or combative, but I don't see a media tab on the secsports.com homepage.
Go to baseball, more, media. Page 16 of 21. Never knew they had it broken down so much.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

commadore wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:09 pm
secsports.com
Look under media tab.
Go to baseball, more, media. Page 16 of 21. Never knew they had it broken down so much.
Thanks for the help, commadore. Yep, that is more SEC baseball data in one place than I have seen before. And VandyFan is certainly correct. Our team BA against righties and lefties is virtually the same, and actually a few points higher against lefties. I am very surprised. My "obersvation memory" apparently is not very good. I would guess that our slugging percentage is higher against RHP, but I didn't see that stat, and I guess I could be hallucinating there as well. I did notice a few typos, though they don't alter the overall conclusion. Against LHP we have 261 hits in 812 AB's. OK. But against RHP we are shown as having 472 hits in 150 AB's. Obviously they inadvertently dropped the 4th digit of the AB number. I think it should be 1501. They did that for other teams as well. But thanks for the heads-up. Again, I am surprised.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

geeznotagain wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:34 am
commadore wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:09 pm

Thanks for the help, commadore. Yep, that is more SEC baseball data in one place than I have seen before. And VandyFan is certainly correct. Our team BA against righties and lefties is virtually the same, and actually a few points higher against lefties. I am very surprised. My "obersvation memory" apparently is not very good. I would guess that our slugging percentage is higher against RHP, but I didn't see that stat, and I guess I could be hallucinating there as well. I did notice a few typos, though they don't alter the overall conclusion. Against LHP we have 261 hits in 812 AB's. OK. But against RHP we are shown as having 472 hits in 150 AB's. Obviously they inadvertently dropped the 4th digit of the AB number. I think it should be 1501. They did that for other teams as well. But thanks for the heads-up. Again, I am surprised.
Honestly, I was surprised too. I heard the same stuff you did. On another topic, but related, that is one reason I don't like or trust anything said by the announcers. They typically are for whoever we are playing anyway and are all so full of themselves it gets to the point of being sickening. Personally, I don't give a rat's patoot what they did in the pros. None of them will be as good as Bleday, Martin, or any of 4-5 others on the team.
Locked Previous topicNext topic