I hate the whistler(s)

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Re: I hate the whistler(s)

Post by Good2BGold »

The whistlers were way more subdued last night. It may have been because it was pitchers duel and not a lot of offense, but the thought crossed my mind that they may have been reading this thread. :lol:

Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

For anyone interested, here's a link to a thread about the whistlers on a Mississippi State fan board:

That dang Vandy whistler needs his ass beat down.

Funny that they're arguing among themselves about the whistlers.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

On another MSU fan board, there's a thread about a fan calling the SEC Network to complain about the whistlers:

I just called in about “the whistler’
oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Post by oakparkDore »

Good2BGold wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:24 am The whistlers were way more subdued last night. It may have been because it was pitchers duel and not a lot of offense, but the thought crossed my mind that they may have been reading this thread. :lol:
Agreed, that seemed subdued and actually reasonably appropriate.
DeefromAtlanta
Admiral

Post by DeefromAtlanta »

Good2BGold wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:15 am On another MSU fan board, there's a thread about a fan calling the SEC Network to complain about the whistlers:

"upsetting the family pets"
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I wish I could whistle loud like that. If I could there would be 3 whistlers
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

DeefromAtlanta wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 12:56 pm
Good2BGold wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:15 am On another MSU fan board, there's a thread about a fan calling the SEC Network to complain about the whistlers:

"upsetting the family pets"
Priceless! Don't you hate the whistlers a little less after reading that?
Bear8000
Lieutenant

Post by Bear8000 »

I for one appreciate their loyalty to our baseball program, much more than I dislike their whistling.

To have a Top 5-10 college baseball program, the amount of regular attending fans we have is a disgrace. In a city the size of Nashville, we should be able to fill up our extremely small stadium almost every game...especially with the amount of success we have. IMO, they don't compare at all to the cow bells at State

Our baseball team/program is considered a national powerhouse and we really have so few fans(in the whole scheme of things) compared to other high powered programs...so anybody who spends their time and $$$ attending almost every single game, HOME and ROAD, I have nothing bad to say about them or the noise they make

I appreciate their undying loyalty to Coach Corbin and our boys. If our players and Corbin are ok with the whistlers,(which they are), so am I
Last edited by Bear8000 on Fri May 24, 2019 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

yes, the argument that all they care about is themselves rings hollow when people say that they don't like the whistlers because it bothers them (what's the difference?) It is actually about supporting our team.
abvandy
Rear Admiral

Post by abvandy »

I also appreciate loyalty to our student athletes, but it must be said --

Whistling outside at a baseball game is one thing. Whistling inside Memorial Gym has caused several people to give up seats they really enjoyed.

CONQUER!!..., and PREVAIL!!!
Bear8000
Lieutenant

Post by Bear8000 »

If it keeps people from going to games, that would be awful. I don't know if that is the case or not. I've sat a many, many games hearing these guys....maybe I just have the ability to tune it out because it just doesn't bother me

Again, I just really appreciate their loyalty to a team that has very little following, compared to other Top 5-10 programs

And yes, hearing that whistling inside Memorial would be much different, with that noise being trapped. I've only been to a couple of men's BB games in the past 5-6 years, is this a regular thing at those games also?
vebiltdervan
Fleet Admiral

Post by vebiltdervan »

Good2BGold wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:32 am...here's a link to a thread about the whistlers on a Mississippi State fan board:...That dang Vandy whistler needs his ass beat down....Funny that they're arguing among themselves about the whistlers.
Mississippi Cowbell State fans are the last cowbell fanbase in America that has any cowbell standing from which to criticize ANY OTHER NCAA team's fans. Whatever they say, I say Cowbell.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Good2BGold wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:32 am For anyone interested, here's a link to a thread about the whistlers on a Mississippi State fan board:

That dang Vandy whistler needs his ass beat down.

Funny that they're arguing among themselves about the whistlers.
I don't like the whistler and wrote David Williams a couple of times about him, but if one of those inbred toothless cowbell ringers were to set a finger on them, I'd go Hulk Hogan on them. Like little brothers, only family can pick on them. Meanwhile, whistlers, stfu.
egbertsouse
Captain

Post by egbertsouse »

admin wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:07 pm I wish I could whistle loud like that. If I could there would be 3 whistlers
You'd have a lot of enemies.
accent grave over the e
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

egbertsouse wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:30 pm
admin wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:07 pm I wish I could whistle loud like that. If I could there would be 3 whistlers
Not a problem. As long as my dogs and family like me I'm fine. Really, the whistling really doesn't bother me. If I don't hear whistling at the Vandy baseball games I get concerned. Where are the whistlers? Are they okay? Have they been kidnapped?
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

admin wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 12:01 am
Not a problem. As long as my dogs and family like me I'm fine. Really, the whistling really doesn't bother me. If I don't hear whistling at the Vandy baseball games I get concerned. Where are the whistlers? Are they okay? Have they been kidnapped?
Heck, I'd just stop at dogs! :)
egbertsouse
Captain

Post by egbertsouse »

That's a great attitude to have. It's healthy not to concern yourself about other people's opinion of you up until the point that your actions significantly and negatively impact the lives of other people. Clearly the whistler's actions have done so.
accent grave over the e
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

egbertsouse wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 6:21 am

That's a great attitude to have. It's healthy not to concern yourself about other people's opinion of you up until the point that your actions significantly and negatively impact the lives of other people. Clearly the whistler's actions have done so.
It's in the eye (or ear) of the beholder. Just about anything that a person does could be offensive or treasured by someone. Some people like the whistlers. Some people don't. If you quit doing something every time someone complains you'll just turn into a knot on a log. I respect people's right to complain about the whistlers. However, the whistlers do not bother me at all and I appreciate the support they give to the team. If they ever make a rule against whistling at games I'll then recommend to the whistlers that they stop whistling.
egbertsouse
Captain

Post by egbertsouse »

admin wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 10:11 am
egbertsouse wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 6:21 am

It's in the eye (or ear) of the beholder. Just about anything that a person does could be offensive or treasured by someone. Some people like the whistlers. Some people don't. If you quit doing something every time someone complains you'll just turn into a knot on a log. I respect people's right to complain about the whistlers. However, the whistlers do not bother me at all and I appreciate the support they give to the team. If they ever make a rule against whistling at games I'll then recommend to the whistlers that they stop whistling.

I may be fooling myself but I don't think there is anything I do that rises to the level of annoying the number of people to the degree that the whistlers do. I try to live my life that way.
accent grave over the e
Matheta
Admiral

Post by Matheta »

Suppose I got a referee's whistle and joined in at the baseball games?
Locked Previous topicNext topic