Tim Corbin extremely underpaid!

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Doreforlife
Seaman

Tim Corbin extremely underpaid!

Post by Doreforlife »

According to the Tennessean, Coach Corbin makes 1.
3 million a year, compared to 3.7 million for Derek Mason, (after the bowl in 2016), and 2 million for Bryce Drew after his 1st year (ncaa tournament bid).
Coach Corbin has not only won a national championship, but the SEC regular season 4 times, and represents the university in the best way possible. Vanderbilt baseball is nationally known and respected because of him and the baseball program. Pay the man for what he has done for the program and the university!

katmai
Rear Admiral

Re: Tim Corbin extremely underpaid!

Post by katmai »

Doreforlife wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 4:23 pm According to the Tennessean, Coach Corbin makes 1.
3 million a year, compared to 3.7 million for Derek Mason, (after the bowl in 2016), and 2 million for Bryce Drew after his 1st year (ncaa tournament bid).
Coach Corbin has not only won a national championship, but the SEC regular season 4 times, and represents the university in the best way possible. Vanderbilt baseball is nationally known and respected because of him and the baseball program. Pay the man for what he has done for the program and the university!
I agree that Corbin deserves to be among the top paid baseball coaches in the country, but that pay scale is totally different compared to football or men's basketball. Baseball doesn't generate the revenue to justify comparable salaries. Kevin O'Sullivan signed a 10-year, 12.5 million contract in 2016 that was supposed to make him the highest paid baseball coach in the country, and Corbin's $1.3 Million in 2017 is right in line with that.

For comparison, Mason's $3.7 Million put him solidly in the bottom 3 or 4 of the Conference for salary. Dabo Swinney just signed a 10-year, $93 Million contract to become the highest paid college football coach. Apples to Oranges comparison between the sports.
Doreforlife
Seaman

Post by Doreforlife »

I agree that it's apples to oranges in sports comparisons, however the intangibles that he provides off the field with his leadership skills, integrity, guidance to the players in life lessons, make him more valuable than the average successful baseball coach.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

I respectfully disagree.*

While Corbs may be the best college baseball coach in the country, his profession is still coaching college baseball. It is not the sport that brings in the big ticketing and television money as do football and basketball.

While I don't mind paying what it takes to keep him happy and tossing in bonuses for reaching various incentives, I believe that $1.3 million+ is handsome pay for the return (or lack thereof). It is true that you cannot put a price on the renown Corbs brings to the university, but I would also argue that you are overstating how much that is. Remember, this is COLLEGE baseball.

You and I follow college baseball closely, but do most Americans know the sport that well? A Kentucky fan sitting next to me at the game today said, "Vanderbilt usually has a pretty good baseball team. How are they doing this year?" That was a guy who bought a ticket to watch a college baseball game featuring the no. 1 or no. 2 team in the country. Do you think he even knows the name of our coach?

Remember, this is COLLEGE BASEBALL.

You could probably argue that Major League Baseball is the big time. Folks all over the world, sports fans and non-sports fans alike, have heard of the New York Yankees and the Los Angeles Dodgers. Yet, Yankees skipper Aaron Boone's salary last year was $1.15 million. Dave Roberts, who guided L.A. to its second straight World Series, was paid $1 million. Alex Cora, manager of the 2018 World Series Champion Boston Red Sox: $800,000!

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 111776002/

"A study by USA TODAY (August 2018) of all 30 major-league teams found there are 21 active managers earning $1.5 million or less this season. There are just three managers earning more than the average major-league player salary of $4 million. ... New managers today are barely making more than the minimum $545,000 player salary, despite more demands on their time."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/m ... 102815002/

If Tim Corbin is being paid more than 15 of the 32 major league managers, then I would say he is well compensated.

BTW, John Williamson has led the Vanderbilt Women's Bowling team to 14 consecutive NCAA Bowling Elite 8 appearances, including 2 championships, 3 second-place finishes and 3 third-place finishes.

What do we pay him?

* Edit: I disagree with the original premise, but I do not disagree with this statement which was posted while I was composing my own reply: "...make him more valuable than the average successful baseball coach."
I would say that Tim Corbin is more valuable than most college baseball coaches, not just most successful college baseball coaches. But to compare apples to apples, you must not leave out "college."
DeefromAtlanta
Admiral

Corbin might be the highest paid baseball coach

Post by DeefromAtlanta »

Look at this article. He's not listed because his salary is not part of public record.

https://247sports.com/college/texas-tec ... 120583246/
VUDU
Lieutenant

Post by VUDU »

Wait, can that be right? Corbs makes more than the Yankees manager? I don't know. I find that hard to believe.
Versus75
Admiral

Aaron Boone's salary ...

Post by Versus75 »

... is less than the $1.3 million Corbin is reportedly paid.

Here are a couple more reports:

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2018/08/how_ ... ace_y.html

https://www.celebworth.net/2018/10/how- ... -make.html

The first one said that Boone, who had not been an MLB manager previously, was paid more than the average rookie manager when he signed with the Yankees because they had to compete with ESPN for his services.

baseball-reference.com indicates that Boonie earned as much as $3.75 million in a season as a big leaguer, but many of the MLB managers never made it to the bigs. And most don't have a former Playboy Playmate of the Month (Miss October 1998 Laura Cover) bringing in some residuals to help pay for the baby sitter.

https://playerswiki.com/laura-cover
vandyhank
Lieutenant

Post by vandyhank »

Mason should have been fired for poor performance.
Vandy has low expectations.
3rdFloorDyer
Captain

Post by 3rdFloorDyer »

Little behind on board reading, vhank?
DoreZag
Captain

Post by DoreZag »

Based on everything I've read, the primary reason MLB managers make so little these days compared to previous years is they don't have to do nearly as much game-management. With all the analytics in today's game and all the GM's doing the number-crunching, most game day decisions are made by the front office.
Managers are hired to make some in-game decisions and to manage diverse personalities and assuage (or massage) player egos.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

For anyone who wanted to read the original subscriber-only story in The Tennessean about Mason's and Corbin's salaries, it was reprinted in the The Daily Herald (Columbia, Tennessee):

Mason’s pay increased, while Corbin’s decreased
Versus75
Admiral

That means nothing ...

Post by Versus75 »

... without full details. And it is intentionally misleading. Adam Sparks should know better and the editors should not have let the errant headline run.

What Sparks wrote was:

"Corbin’s base salary was reduced from $1,075,148 in 2017 to $949,643 in 2018. Along with a $201,750 bonus and other compensation, Corbin’s total compensation slightly increased to nearly $1.4 million in 2018."

(my highlights)

That does not correspond with the headline stating "Corbin's (pay) decreased"

What is that "other compensation" to which Sparks refers? By my calculation it was in the literal ballpark of a not-so-insignificant $208,000!

Corbin's PAY clearly did not decrease! We don't know how the contract is structured. Tim could have asked for a "base pay" cut with increased bonuses and other compensation.

If his "total compensation" was higher in 2018 compared to 2017 despite a "base salary" reduction of approximately $125,000 and eerily similar seasons, the bonuses and other compensation most certainly increased. Let's wait for the 2019 details to come out before determining whether or not Corbin has been shortchanged.

........ OVERALL ..... SEC ..... SEASON ........................ TOTAL .....
YEAR .... W-L-T ..... W-L-T .... RESULTS ................... COMPENSATION ..
2017 ... 36-25-1 ... 15-13-1 ... Lost Super Regional ....... $1.318 million
2018 ... 35-27-0 ... 16-14-0 ... Lost Super Regional ....... $1.359 million
2019 ... 59-12-0 ... 23- 7-0 ... Won College World Series .. $ ????????????

... and then what was that about a $1.2 million bonus in 2016?
lidore12
Ensign

Post by lidore12 »

Sparks wrote an article roughly a year ago stating that Corbs was the best paid coach of the 8 in Omaha at 1.3 million and better paid than at least 11 MLB managers. Some people may not like how Corbs is compensated, but I assume he negotiated his base pay and bonuses and agreed to a contract. Relative to other baseball coaches and MLB managers he is extremely well compensated (as he should be). I think this story is driving clicks by juxtaposing Corbin’s success against Mason’s lack of success and comparing how they are compensated. I think if I was Corbin, I too would opt for higher benchmarked bonuses knowing I’d likely hit them just about every year. We also don’t know if he’s taking a base salary cut to pay his assistants more or something of that nature.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.tennes ... 1496410001
Locked Previous topicNext topic