Rexrode: "Vanderbilt baseball coach Tim Corbin is grateful for his team, angry for his sport"

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Titans309fan
Admiral

Re: Rexrode: "Vanderbilt baseball coach Tim Corbin is grateful for his team, angry for his sport"

Post by Titans309fan »

It does seem crazy that with so many assistant coaches in other sports, baseball can only have two paid coaches. I understand Corbin's frustration.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Re: Rexrode: "Vanderbilt baseball coach Tim Corbin is grateful for his team, angry for his sport"

Post by Good2BGold »

Titans309fan wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 1:24 pm It does seem crazy that with so many assistant coaches in other sports, baseball can only have two paid coaches. I understand Corbin's frustration.
And baseball is allowed only 11.5 scholarships. I've never understood the reasoning behind that.
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

The worst part of the whole saga regarding the 3rd assistant is that there were several mid-major conferences who stood up to support, while it failed in the Big 10 and Big 12. I don't fully understand it, but because of various committees and such, Jim Delany and the Big 10 basically controlled 8 votes of 61 that were cast. Those all went NO> Delany is an outspoken enemy of college baseball in one of the wealthiest conferences. He has proposed such ridiculous measures as holding one of the Omaha spots for a northern school who came out of their own little bracket. I understand that they have challenges due to early season weather issues, but his notion of how to make his conference more competitive is to try to hold others down instead of improving what they have. They have the financial resources to build facilities to offset the regional advantages, but no, they'd rather try to cut everyone else.

Though the Pac 10 passed it, it is incomprehensible to me that the Oregon State AD voted no. His argument was that he would also have to add a softball coach. Think about that: the defending champions don't want to commit to their coaching staff because they would also have to hire a $50k/yr softball assistant. Disgusting.

The whole 11.7 scholarship rule is 100% tied to Title IX. Schools with D-1 football have to fund women's and men's athletics equally. With 85 football scholarships, there is only so much you can do with other men's programs. There have been some good and bad from it. The good is when you see things like Vanderbilt adding women's bowling as a sport, giving those young ladies opportunities. The bad happens when schools drop men's programs to even things out. I think VU dropped men's soccer around the same time they added bowling to get into compliance, and we haven't fielded a D-1 track team in forever.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Commodoredave wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 3:11 pm The worst part of the whole saga regarding the 3rd assistant is that there were several mid-major conferences who stood up to support, while it failed in the Big 10 and Big 12. I don't fully understand it, but because of various committees and such, Jim Delany and the Big 10 basically controlled 8 votes of 61 that were cast. Those all went NO> Delany is an outspoken enemy of college baseball in one of the wealthiest conferences. He has proposed such ridiculous measures as holding one of the Omaha spots for a northern school who came out of their own little bracket. I understand that they have challenges due to early season weather issues, but his notion of how to make his conference more competitive is to try to hold others down instead of improving what they have. They have the financial resources to build facilities to offset the regional advantages, but no, they'd rather try to cut everyone else.

Though the Pac 10 passed it, it is incomprehensible to me that the Oregon State AD voted no. His argument was that he would also have to add a softball coach. Think about that: the defending champions don't want to commit to their coaching staff because they would also have to hire a $50k/yr softball assistant. Disgusting.

The whole 11.7 scholarship rule is 100% tied to Title IX. Schools with D-1 football have to fund women's and men's athletics equally. With 85 football scholarships, there is only so much you can do with other men's programs. There have been some good and bad from it. The good is when you see things like Vanderbilt adding women's bowling as a sport, giving those young ladies opportunities. The bad happens when schools drop men's programs to even things out. I think VU dropped men's soccer around the same time they added bowling to get into compliance, and we haven't fielded a D-1 track team in forever.
Do they even play baseball in the big 1[14]0? And if title IX is the problem, then take 5 schollys from football and give them to baseball. Yeah, like that would happen before the Second Coming.
dotcommie
Captain

Post by dotcommie »

Yeah, they do. And Illinois is pretty good.
Locked Previous topicNext topic