Beware of Bama Today

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

admin
Site Admin

Beware of Bama Today

Post by admin »

They are 3-2 in second game of an SEC series this season. Wins over South Carolina, Arkansas (10-0) and Ole Miss on these days. I don't know whether they are playing a better pitcher on day 2 than day 1 or what. Plus we are playing them in Tuscaloosa. Could be trouble.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Re: Beware of Bama Today

Post by Ndorefin »

I’m not too concerned about their starting pitcher....he has been terrible against SEC hitting (era 6.75, 5 homers in 20innings). We need to get to him early. If Rocker is on his game, we should be able to handle them. Their pen has been their strong suit....I hope it doesn’t come down to that....We need a good lead!
In their win against Ole Miss, he gave up 5 runs in less than 2 innings. Against UF he gave up 7 runs in 3 innings and last week, he gave up 3 runs in 4 innings. But, as you stated, 3 of their 4 wins have been in the second game.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Was supposed to be there but American Airlines has me marooned in Charlotte. Go Dores - you don't need me to win!
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

charlestonalum wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:08 pm Was supposed to be there but American Airlines has me marooned in Charlotte. Go Dores - you don't need me to win!
Man...what a bummer for you! You missed a highly entertaining game with the Dores putting on an outstanding display of power! I don’t watch Sports Center, but Infante’s homer over the scoreboard should make the top ten!!
vandyambush
Vice Admiral

Post by vandyambush »

Ndorefin wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:18 am
charlestonalum wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:08 pm Was supposed to be there but American Airlines has me marooned in Charlotte. Go Dores - you don't need me to win!
Man...what a bummer for you! You missed a highly entertaining game with the Dores putting on an outstanding display of power! I don’t watch Sports Center, but Infante’s homer over the scoreboard should make the top ten!!
Agreed! I was there with my brother-in-law, and I had never been to a VU game where I’ve seen them hit that many homers. Not since the Vee Hightower days at least.

The homer by Infante was a MONSTER shot!
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Couldn’t follow Infante’s shot on TV and no watchespn replay. Don’t think the camera operator could move quickly enough.

Unrelated note: The ‘Bama pbp man keeps saying Raby has been starting midweek games. Which flavor Kool-Aid has he been drinking?

Finally, the 5-slot batter for the Tide is at .068 on the season. We can’t let him have a career day.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

Versus75 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:19 pm Unrelated note: The ‘Bama pbp man keeps saying Raby has been starting midweek games. Which flavor Kool-Aid has he been drinking?
I've been tweeting with Bama baseball trying to get them to inform Eli Gold of his mistake about Raby. So far, no response, but it's showing they are seeing my direct messages. Hopefully, he'll note his mistake on air.
Versus75
Admiral

Eli "not Good2B" Gold ...

Post by Versus75 »

... also said that Al Jackson pitched for the "Dodgers, among others."

Not! Not ever a Dodgers player, but there were "others," notably Mets and Cardinals.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... al01.shtml

But my best line of the game: "Last weekend Vanderbilt hitters batted .300 while winning 2 of 3 against Vanderbilt."

... why didn't he say something about the lousy Vanderbilt pitchers that allowed a .300 average to Vanderbilt?
And if Vanderbilt played Vanderbilt last weekend, the W-L record should have been 3-3.

Regarding my note about the 5-slot batter: I am nearly certain that the 'Bama lineup shown as the bottom of the 1st inning was about to begin listed a .068 average for a guy in the middle of the order, but I can't confirm until I watch the replay later.
Mightymouse24
Ensign

Post by Mightymouse24 »

No need to worry! We won again! 2-0 @GAD SV#
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

As anyone watching the game on SEC Network Plus today knows, Alabama play-by-play man Eli Gold repeatedly referred to Patrick Raby as a midweek starter and talked about what a great opportunity it was for him to get a weekend start in the SEC. I emailed him to inquire as to how he could have been so grossly misinformed. I'll let the board know what Eli says if I get a reply from him. In case anyone is interested, here's what I emailed to him:

Good evening, sir. I have a question for you, and I mean no disrespect to you in asking it. In fact, I know you to be a consummate professional. So I wonder where in the world did you get the idea Patrick Raby was a midweek starter? He’s been a weekend starter since the beginning of his freshman year, a year in which he was a freshman All-American. The next year he won 10 games as VU's Friday night starter. Last year, he moved to Saturday after a foot injury hobbled him in the preseason, and until the Arkansas series in Nashville last weekend, he was the regular Saturday starter this year. With two more wins, Raby will have more wins than any pitcher in VU history. So needless to say, I was stunned that you were so badly misinformed about him and was embarrassed for such a revered broadcaster as yourself to be talking throughout the early innings about what a great opportunity it was for Raby to get a weekend start in the SEC. I also felt really bad for the kid and his family and friends watching at home to have to hear you repeatedly put forth that misinformation. What gives, Eli? Where did you get that totally incorrect information?
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

Good2BGold wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:45 pm As anyone watching the game on SEC Network Plus today knows, Alabama play-by-play man Eli Gold repeatedly referred to Patrick Raby as a midweek starter and talked about what a great opportunity it was for him to get a weekend start in the SEC. I emailed him to inquire as to how he could have been so grossly misinformed. I'll let the board know what Eli says if I get a reply from him. In case anyone is interested, here's what I emailed to him:

Good evening, sir. I have a question for you, and I mean no disrespect to you in asking it. In fact, I know you to be a consummate professional. So I wonder where in the world did you get the idea Patrick Raby was a midweek starter? He’s been a weekend starter since the beginning of his freshman year, a year in which he was a freshman All-American. The next year he won 10 games as VU's Friday night starter. Last year, he moved to Saturday after a foot injury hobbled him in the preseason, and until the Arkansas series in Nashville last weekend, he was the regular Saturday starter this year. With two more wins, Raby will have more wins than any pitcher in VU history. So needless to say, I was stunned that you were so badly misinformed about him and was embarrassed for such a revered broadcaster as yourself to be talking throughout the early innings about what a great opportunity it was for Raby to get a weekend start in the SEC. I also felt really bad for the kid and his family and friends watching at home to have to hear you repeatedly put forth that misinformation. What gives, Eli? Where did you get that totally incorrect information?
I've already received a reply from Eli Gold. I consider him a class act. Here's what he said:

Thank you for writing. I was totally at fault. I wish I could blame someone else, but I can’t. I, for some reason, got Hickman and Raby switched in my brain. Why? I don’t know. I do tons of prep work for each telecast so that I can give both teams their just due. I guess I’m only human. We (Joe Fisher your broadcaster) and I talked before Friday’s and today’s games, and I just screwed up.

I apologize profusely. There was certainly no negative intent in talking about Raby as though he were your mid-week ace Hickman. I just made a mistake. When I realized my error, I corrected myself (in either the 3rd or 4th inning). Please accept my apology.

Eli Gold

Of course, he didn't really correct himself, as I respectfully pointed out in my reply back to him. In the fourth inning, he referred to Raby again as a midweek starter, but mentioned he has started some weekend games, but of course that’s not true. Raby’s never been the midweek guy. Still, I was impressed he replied to my email so quickly and owned his mistake instead of blaming it on someone else.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

Good2BGold wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:03 pm
Good2BGold wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:45 pm As anyone watching the game on SEC Network Plus today knows, Alabama play-by-play man Eli Gold repeatedly referred to Patrick Raby as a midweek starter and talked about what a great opportunity it was for him to get a weekend start in the SEC. I emailed him to inquire as to how he could have been so grossly misinformed. I'll let the board know what Eli says if I get a reply from him. In case anyone is interested, here's what I emailed to him:

I've already received a reply from Eli Gold. I consider him a class act. Here's what he said:

Thank you for writing. I was totally at fault. I wish I could blame someone else, but I can’t. I, for some reason, got Hickman and Raby switched in my brain. Why? I don’t know. I do tons of prep work for each telecast so that I can give both teams their just due. I guess I’m only human. We (Joe Fisher your broadcaster) and I talked before Friday’s and today’s games, and I just screwed up.

I apologize profusely. There was certainly no negative intent in talking about Raby as though he were your mid-week ace Hickman. I just made a mistake. When I realized my error, I corrected myself (in either the 3rd or 4th inning). Please accept my apology.

Eli Gold

Of course, he didn't really correct himself, as I respectfully pointed out in my reply back to him. In the fourth inning, he referred to Raby again as a midweek starter, but mentioned he has started some weekend games, but of course that’s not true. Raby’s never been the midweek guy. Still, I was impressed he replied to my email so quickly and owned his mistake instead of blaming it on someone else.
More from Eli Gold:

Good evening again. FYI - I just, moments ago, finished sending an e-mail and text to your baseball sports information director and, as I don’t have Patrick’s contact information, I sent him an apology and asked him to forward it to Patrick AND his family. I felt as though I did clarify things on the air, but apparently I didn’t clear things up enough or, for that matter, correctly. I was just in the weeds with Patrick’s bio all day.

Again my apologies. I do thank you for your kind words and for calmly and in a class way, taking me to task.
Have a good night and Happy Easter.
Eli

VU's baseball SID has already replied to Eli and and he shared his reply with me:

"Eli, thank you for the text and email. No reason to apologize at all. These things happen. I will be sure to pass that along to Patrick and his family. You guys were great all weekend and everyone was a wonderful host. I hope everything else went well on the broadcast and look forward to interacting with you guys again soon."

To which Eli replied:

"You are too kind. But please talk to Patrick and his family. I feel terrible in making sound like a midweek starter (albeit a great one) as opposed to one of Vanderbilt's all-time best. Your kind note has made me feel better, and although the embarrassment lingers, I will learn from this. Best of luck the rest of the way."

Like I said, a classy guy.
VandyPhile
Rear Admiral

Post by VandyPhile »

Classy responses by everyone involved. Well done.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

I was surprised all weekend by Gold and his broadcasting. I have always enjoyed listening to him and believed he was the consummate professional. It must have arrived to a point where Alabama baseball is a current nuisance and he doesn’t really prepare. He seemed to be reluctant, at times, to give some of our players the respect they deserve, but certainly gushed over Corbin. I thought it was unjust when he referred to how fortunate to have the 9-hole hitter (Infante) at the plate, on more than one occasion, when Infante has been as big a threat as anyone recently (except for today🙄)...it was pleasing to watch him launch one over the scoreboard on Sat night. The color commentator did an excellent job all weekend, but I was very disappointed in the lack of professionalism Gold displayed.
Last edited by Ndorefin on Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

Ndorefin wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:20 pm I was surprised all weekend by Gold and his broadcasting. I have always enjoyed listening to him and believed he was the consummate professional. It must have arrived to a point where Alabama baseball is a current nuisance and he doesn’t really prepare. He seemed to be reluctant, at times, to give some of our players the respect they deserve, but certainly gushed over Corbin. I thought it was unjust when he referred to how fortunate to have the 9-hole hitter (Infante) at the plate, on more than one occasion, when Infante has been as big a threat as anyone recently (except for today🙄)...it was pleasing to watch him launch one over the scoreboard on Sat night. The play-by-play guy did an excellent job all weekend, but I was very disappointed in the lack of professionalism Gold displayed.
You said the play-by-play guy did an excellent job all weekend. Eli Gold was the play-by-play announcer. Do you mean Lance Cormier, the color commentator, wasn't professional?
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

Good2BGold wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:25 pm
Ndorefin wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:20 pm I was surprised all weekend by Gold and his broadcasting. I have always enjoyed listening to him and believed he was the consummate professional. It must have arrived to a point where Alabama baseball is a current nuisance and he doesn’t really prepare. He seemed to be reluctant, at times, to give some of our players the respect they deserve, but certainly gushed over Corbin. I thought it was unjust when he referred to how fortunate to have the 9-hole hitter (Infante) at the plate, on more than one occasion, when Infante has been as big a threat as anyone recently (except for today🙄)...it was pleasing to watch him launch one over the scoreboard on Sat night. The play-by-play guy did an excellent job all weekend, but I was very disappointed in the lack of professionalism Gold displayed.
You said the play-by-play guy did an excellent job all weekend. Eli Gold was the play-by-play announcer. Do you mean Lance Cormier, the color commentator, wasn't professional?
My bad....I certainly should have said the color commentator was excellent...Thanks for pointing out my error, which I have corrected.
Hey...it was 11:20 pm...much too late for a man my age to be posting, especially after celebrating the sweep :lol:

Anchor Down AD*
Versus75
Admiral

Since I started the Gold debate ...

Post by Versus75 »

... I felt I should comment.

1. Eli's response to Good2BGold and Vanderbilt Baseball, though not completely accurate, was definitely classy.
2. I found Gold to be highly qualified, but (as with us all) not perfect.
2a. Remember that he made other errors that were not as blatant -- and not repeated ad infinitum -- as the weekday starter faux pas.
2b. On one occasion, he used the dreaded term "scuffling" to apply to an individual performing poorly when the proper term should have been "struggling" or "sucking."*
3. If indeed he read Good2BGold's tweets during the game, Gold should have made a correction in-game. However, I don't know that "they are seeing my direct messages" means that Eli Gold himself read Good2BGold's messages.
4. Where is the support team?
4a. Lance Cormier's analysis was generally on point as opposed to the national announcers (such as Chris Burke who worked Saturday's game) who tell you about everything not relevant to the game on the field. However, Cormier must not put in much pre-game work because he could have easily noticed Eli's errors and called attention to them off-mike.
4b. Does this crew have a producer or production staff? Where were they when Gold needed some help? Apparently crafting such inaccurate graphics as the one I saw early in the game:

Drew Williamson was batting .322 going into Sunday's game, not exactly .068 as the graphic shows. Was either Gold or Cormier or anybody else in the press box going to say something? Even some janitor passing by the booth should have asked, "Why does 'Bama have an .068 hitter batting fifth?"

This entire broadcast exemplified what I like to call a TEAM ERROR. The whole crew let that pop fly drop for a hit and no individual should be blamed exclusively. But in this case I feel that an error should be called on the team. That would be a good rule to apply on the field as well.

*I believe either Chris Burke or Kyle Peterson made up this new definition for "scuffling" and it has apparently caught on around the broadcast world. I heard it first from them a season or two ago and have unsuccessfully tried to call it to their attention. Any announcer who uses the same term in the same incorrect manner is guilty of failure to use the dictionary. For shame!
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Re: Since I started the Gold debate ...

Post by Good2BGold »

Versus75 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:56 pm ... I felt I should comment.

1. Eli's response to Good2BGold and Vanderbilt Baseball, though not completely accurate, was definitely classy.
2a. Remember that he made other errors that were not as blatant -- and not repeated ad infinitum -- as the weekday starter faux pas.
2b. On one occasion, he used the dreaded term "scuffling" to apply to an individual performing poorly when the proper term should have been "struggling" or "sucking."*
3. If indeed he read Good2BGold's tweets during the game, Gold should have made a correction in-game. However, I don't know that "they are seeing my direct messages" means that Eli Gold himself read Good2BGold's messages.
4a. Lance Cormier's analysis was generally on point as opposed to the national announcers (such as Chris Burke who worked Saturday's game) who tell you about everything not relevant to the game on the field. However, Cormier must not put in much pre-game work because he could have easily noticed Eli's errors and called attention to them off-mike.
4b. Does this crew have a producer or production staff? Where were they when Gold needed some help? Apparently crafting such inaccurate graphics as the one I saw early in the game:

Drew Williamson was batting .322 going into Sunday's game, not exactly .068 as the graphic shows. Was either Gold or Cormier or anybody else in the press box going to say something? Even some janitor passing by the booth should have asked, "Why does 'Bama have an .068 hitter batting fifth?"

This entire broadcast exemplified what I like to call a TEAM ERROR. The whole crew let that pop fly drop for a hit and no individual should be blamed exclusively. But in this case I feel that an error should be called on the team. That would be a good rule to apply on the field as well.

*I believe either Chris Burke or Kyle Peterson made up this new definition for "scuffling" and it has apparently caught on around the broadcast world. I heard it first from them a season or two ago and have unsuccessfully tried to call it to their attention. Any announcer who uses the same term in the same incorrect manner is guilty of failure to use the dictionary. For shame!
I was direct messaging Alabama Baseball on Twitter. I couldn't find an account for Eli.
commadore
Admiral

Re: Since I started the Gold debate ...

Post by commadore »

Versus75 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:56 pm ... I felt I should comment.

Thank you! I have ranted about "scuffling" so much my wife said to just shut up about it!
Locked Previous topicNext topic