question

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

roanoke
Admiral

question

Post by roanoke »

Jackson Gillis looked like a really solid reliever.

What is his status these days?

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Re: question

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

He was actually warming up towards the end of Saturday's game. I really have no idea.
HopsLikeHolwerda
Lieutenant

Post by HopsLikeHolwerda »

He might look like a solid reliever...until he actually pitches. Can't throw strikes. 5 BBs and 3 WPs in 5 innings for the year. Not good.
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

So you’re saying he’s healthy?

By June, we could use him.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

roanoke wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 9:55 pm So you’re saying he’s healthy?

By June, we could use him.
Six appearances, 6 innings, 6 runs allowed, ERA of 6.00, 5 walks, 1 hit batter, and 3 wild pitches. What do we want to use him for?
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

He pitched last week and Tennessee Tech hit him for 2 runs on 3 hits in an inning. I recall watching one of his earlier outings where he couldn't find the plate.
Quite honestly, Gillis and King's struggles are a huge disappointment, and I believe the failure of the bullpen is the biggest hurdle we face in trying to go the distance. Two years ago I thought those two had as high of a ceiling as anyone on the roster, and now neither is contributing anything towards winning games.
vujoe
Vice Admiral

Post by vujoe »

We are going to need a stellar bullpen to win at Omaha. ope King and Gillis can be counted upon.
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

I am disappointed too.

but a guy with his talent does not usually fall off a cliff unless he is hurt. I could see Coach giving him more mid-week opportunities if he were healthy.

The truth is - he has been borderline unhittable in the past. He was particularly good in some of those short series NCAA games. If we are going to Omaha - we need the bullpen to get better.

How many of his control issues were weather games? We need him back. I don't think he comes back without more use. But I agree - the key to a good bullpen is no free passes. If he can't get the zone back - he can't help us. If I had to identify one guy who has the talent to make this team a lot better - it would be him.
Locked Previous topicNext topic