Kyle Wright on Atlanta's major league roster, in starting rotation

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Kyle Wright on Atlanta's major league roster, in starting rotation

Post by Good2BGold »

Kyle Wright not only has made the Braves' major league roster, he'll be the No. 3 pitcher in their rotation. Here are a couple of stories with more info:

Even Wilson, Wright can’t believe their big-league break

Braves to have two rookie starters in rotation

vebiltdervan
Fleet Admiral

Re: Kyle Wright on Atlanta's major league roster, in starting rotation

Post by vebiltdervan »

Fun read. Hope it pays off for the Braves.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

vebiltdervan wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:36 pm Fun read. Hope it pays off for the Braves.
If you're a Braves fan, its gotta be pretty scary. Even when Foltynewicz gets healthy and returns to the rotation, the Braves starting 5, when you compare it to, say, the Nats and the Phillies in their division, on paper at least looks very underwhelming.
vebiltdervan
Fleet Admiral

Post by vebiltdervan »

geeznotagain wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:15 pm
vebiltdervan wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:36 pm Fun read. Hope it pays off for the Braves.
If you're a Braves fan, its gotta be pretty scary. Even when Foltynewicz gets healthy and returns to the rotation, the Braves starting 5, when you compare it to, say, the Nats and the Phillies in their division, on paper at least looks very underwhelming.
I hear you. That was exactly why, when I posted I hope it pays off, I had multiple fingers crossed as hard as I could. They're still sore, & two of 'em are still stuck that way.
DeefromAtlanta
Admiral

Post by DeefromAtlanta »

I hope Wright has early success. It's a tough opener at Philly and that park. He can't pitch scared or he'll get toasted. Unfortunately, his last two Spring stints have been rough.

The Braves could realistically go from 1st to 4th in the division this year. With their lack of significant upgrades to the pitching staff and a questionable Folty, I'd put their o/u win total at 84.
lippy
Chief

Post by lippy »

Yeah, they seem to be putting a lot of hope in prospects taking another step forward this year. That's a big ask two years in a row, even with the quality they have in that regard. Not too late to sign Kimbrel. Maybe today's the day.
DeefromAtlanta
Admiral

Post by DeefromAtlanta »

lippy wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:51 am Yeah, they seem to be putting a lot of hope in prospects taking another step forward this year. That's a big ask two years in a row, even with the quality they have in that regard. Not too late to sign Kimbrel. Maybe today's the day.
I hope so. Some guys (Freeman, Albies, Markakis) had career-best years last year. I hope that's sustainable. I do like Acuna dropping to the 4 hole. The kid's legit.
lippy
Chief

Post by lippy »

DeefromAtlanta wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:59 am I hope so. Some guys (Freeman, Albies, Markakis) had career-best years last year. I hope that's sustainable. I do like Acuna dropping to the 4 hole. The kid's legit.
I hope so, too. I feel pretty good about the lineup and the bench. I like Ender and Ozzie platooning the leadoff spot with Acuna getting some RBI, and I hope the slightly deeper bench keeps guys from falling off so much in the second half like last year. I hope this is Dansby's breakout year at the plate. His spring was excellent.

Pitching was the wildcard coming into spring, and injuries have made it even wilder. Here's hoping all those young arms come through. Wright had some moments this spring, but he mostly looked to me like someone who would benefit from some reps in AAA. Kimbrel would make me feel better about it.
Locked Previous topicNext topic