Article about our baseball transfer situation

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Article about our baseball transfer situation

Post by MrMemorial »

This morning's cyber-carp-wrapper.
https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports ... 556132001/

No thoughts on the article?

Not even an angry tirade about the person who wrote it? Is she not on the scapegoat list with Nick Zeppos/Sarah Fuller/Malcom Turner/etc - ???

OldDude
Vice Admiral

Re: Article about our baseball transfer situation

Post by OldDude »

Good article. The numbers situation is eye opening.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

Here's something from the Hustler on baseball portal activity -
https://vanderbilthustler.com/2022/06/1 ... er-portal/
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Both articles were quite informative.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

MrMemorial wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:24 am

Not even an angry tirade about the person who wrote it? Is she not on the scapegoat list with Nick Zeppos/Sarah Fuller/Malcom Turner/etc - ???
I don't understand the last part of your post (above). I have a hard time recalling when the names of Zeppos or Turner appeared on Vandymania, with either positive or negative comments. As for Sarah Fuller, she's been referred to as more or less a sideshow, but she hasn't been blamed for anything.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

The biggest threat to all VU programs, as it always has been, is getting athletes admitted. NIL seems like a major threat over and above the portal. We can't buy players like the big state schools. I still hope we win, like I always have and will.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Maybe if “Gage” Bradley had pitched more often the Hustler reporter would know his first name.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

geeznotagain wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:47 pm
MrMemorial wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:24 am

I don't understand the last part of your post (above). I have a hard time recalling when the names of Zeppos or Turner appeared on Vandymania, with either positive or negative comments. As for Sarah Fuller, she's been referred to as more or less a sideshow, but she hasn't been blamed for anything.
Lucky for you that you haven't seen the "scout" forum.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

article seems spot on. reporter is top notch. interested to see what next year brings about. frankly, even in a "bad" year we weren't all that far from making it to Omaha.
katmai
Rear Admiral

Post by katmai »

It is difficult to tell how the NIL and transfer portal will shake out, but I think that this season is still being impacted by the COVID pandemic and the draft shakeup the past two years. There are a number of other teams that have a lot of players that would not be on their roster under normal circumstances. Lipcius at UT was a 6th-year senior, and they had several 5th year players on that team. I am too lazy to look it up, but I think I heard Notre Dame had 8 starters that were seniors or grads. Vanderbilt did not benefit from the extra eligibility years and undrafted players like a lot of schools did.
Vandybird
Petty Officer

Post by Vandybird »

Notre Dame having as many as 8 upperclassmen / grad students on their 2022 roster is a telltale sign of the drawing power / devotion to it from their ballplayers .... the most prestigious Catholic University in the nation. I am not Catholilc .... but it is an undeniable fact programs like Notre Dame greatly benefit from their dedicated recruits, alumni & religious fanbase .... at a level that is unparalleled state or other universities. Take a look at how the sporting program profile of Liberty University has risen in the last 25 years .... even with the insane level of scandal (immoralities etc) associated with the Fallwell family (I am also not a Baptist). Baylor, SMU, TCU & Gonzaga are other excellent examples. The religious angle is and always will be part of the big picture with sport programs unless there's a movement away from religiosity .... there is to some extent but in general .... societal change of that nature is S-L-O-W.
katmai
Rear Admiral

Post by katmai »

Vandybird wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:07 pm Notre Dame having as many as 8 upperclassmen / grad students on their 2022 roster is a telltale sign of the drawing power / devotion to it from their ballplayers .... the most prestigious Catholic University in the nation. I am not Catholilc .... but it is an undeniable fact programs like Notre Dame greatly benefit from their dedicated recruits, alumni & religious fanbase .... at a level that is unparalleled state or other universities. Take a look at how the sporting program profile of Liberty University has risen in the last 25 years .... even with the insane level of scandal (immoralities etc) associated with the Fallwell family (I am also not a Baptist). Baylor, SMU, TCU & Gonzaga are other excellent examples. The religious angle is and always will be part of the big picture with sport programs unless there's a movement away from religiosity .... there is to some extent but in general .... societal change of that nature is S-L-O-W.
Like a lot of schools, Notre Dame benefitted this year from having a lot of good, not great, upperclassmen on their team that is unique to the COVID era and will likely not be duplicated. They had 8 grad students on their roster. Those players would not have a fifth year and be on the roster in a normal year. And a lot of good seniors and grad students would likely have started a pro career instead of sticking around for a 4th or 5th year in college if that opportunity had been available. The drastic reduction in draft rounds the last 2 years left a lot of people in school.
Locked Previous topicNext topic