Any news from Kumar Rocker?

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

historybill
Admiral

Any news from Kumar Rocker?

Post by historybill »

I understand that he's not coming back to Vanderbilt, but it's weird that I don't think there has been any mention of the guy in any news or sports media in 6 months, right?

Is he going to play internationally? Just going to work out on his own in advance of the next draft?

Anyone know anything?

dcdore
Admiral

Re: Any news from Kumar Rocker?

Post by dcdore »

I saw something in passing, no idea where, that he is projected top 10 in next summer's draft.
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
Minoadoc
Rear Admiral

Post by Minoadoc »

if his arm/shoulder is healthy, I would expect he would participate in one of the several independent baseball leagues. They operate independently of MLB. And depending on Covid restrictions, might be operational regardless of whether MLB has a season or not. Or else he would likely have a private workouts prior to an eventual MLB draft
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

This all played out for him in an unusual way. I'm sure he knows what he's doing and of course I wish him well, but it's just strange.
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

I read somewhere that Kumar became the most famous college baseball player in America during the last few years... and not a word from any news entity for the last 7 months.
Starkiller
Commander

Post by Starkiller »

I suspect they decided he would only risk losing more draft standing (and money) by playing independent ball or internationally and possibly getting hurt or not generally looking awesome versus just sitting out and training on his own.

I would assume he has hired some sort of trainer and is basically pitching simulated games. And if he is going through a professional-level training routine then presumably he would be prepared for the major leagues that much sooner.
Doresince89
Commander

Post by Doresince89 »

I have looked at a few mock drafts and he is top 20 for the upcoming year. Below 10 but still in a decent spot. The Mets really hosed him last year. they should have to compensate him at slot value.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Doresince89 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:12 pm I have looked at a few mock drafts and he is top 20 for the upcoming year. Below 10 but still in a decent spot. The Mets really hosed him last year. they should have to compensate him at slot value.

I don't know, was he the hoser or the hosee? What would be the Mets' motive for fabricating a story about an arm that was not healthy? $? We'll know soon enough whether or not the Mets were complete idiots and dumba**es.
Doresince89
Commander

Post by Doresince89 »

geeznotagain wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:01 pm
Doresince89 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:12 pm I have looked at a few mock drafts and he is top 20 for the upcoming year. Below 10 but still in a decent spot. The Mets really hosed him last year. they should have to compensate him at slot value.

I don't know, was he the hoser or the hosee? What would be the Mets' motive for fabricating a story about an arm that was not healthy? $? We'll know soon enough whether or not the Mets were complete idiots and dumba**es.
I am sure the general public doesn't know the whole story but I could see them trying to sign him below slot value to sign other players later in the draft above slot value to keep them out of college. I would bet the biggest issue came down to money and not his arm.
Starkiller
Commander

Post by Starkiller »

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports ... 204838002/

Rocker is splitting time between Knoxville and California working out, according to Vanderbilt coach Tim Corbin. He is throwing off a mound and on track to potentially pitch in an independent league this summer.

"Based on my conversations with him, (Rocker) could be playing a little bit of baseball this year but it would be in an independent league but I'm still not sure about that," Corbin told reporters Wednesday. "Those are the things that he's doing with his advisement. But he's doing well, he looks great, he looks as great as he's ever looked in my opinion over the last four years, he's working out very well and he's very much on course to be very healthy and be pitching at some point. ... Unfortunate situation, but he's made the best of it."
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Just saw this. Probably not much different from the tennessean article.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/form ... ege-coach/
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Doresince89 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:14 pm

I am sure the general public doesn't know the whole story but I could see them trying to sign him below slot value to sign other players later in the draft above slot value to keep them out of college. I would bet the biggest issue came down to money and not his arm.
Only time will tell if the Mets were right or wrong, but I don't think the acted in bad faith - as questioned here, not much motivation to. I think the Mets (and organization that between DeGrom and Syndergaard and Matt Harvey have a particular sensitivity to elite pitchers with injury issues) legitimately saw something in his medicals that spooked them. Kumar, for his part, could legitimately and honestly say "hey, I'm not hurt, but yeah, maybe my arm was ready for the offseason by the end ... nothing a little time off won't fix".

Unfortunate situation, but neither part is necessarily a villain.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

mathguy wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:32 am
Doresince89 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:14 pm

Unfortunate situation, but neither part is necessarily a villain.

Sorry, Math, but I disagree. The Mets have been dysfunctional for years. I believe they picked Rocker, then tried to chisel his pay so that they could then sign other prospects. They came up with an excuse about his arm, which was never substantiated. Their penalty? Nothing, really. Since he did not sign, the Mets still have a high draft pick as a replacement.
Locked Previous topicNext topic