I've been telling y'all...

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

dallasdore
Vice Admiral

I've been telling y'all...

Post by dallasdore »

Corbs has said all year that this is A RESILIENT TEAM.

Relax. We've got this.

I'm not sure if we'll start Reilly or Rocker Friday against NC State, but either way we'll be fine.

Corbs and Scott Brown lit a fire under this team tonight in the first few innings. We got to the 9th down a run with 2 outs and an 0-1 count, then a 1-2 count with nobody on. Our hitters, including a pinch hitter, battled.

I've been telling you, we are nowhere close to out of making it to finals. We are Vanderbilt, we've got some magic.

vandy05
Vice Admiral

Re: I've been telling y'all...

Post by vandy05 »

You've been saying it! I can't believe how down a few posters were on this team after Monday's loss (those fans don't deserve to enjoy last night. Sorry, you have to sit this one out). They're tough and have grit and that showed last night.

If they get beat 20-0 on Friday I will still be super proud of their performance this year. To be one of the last four teams standing is an accomplishment in any year, especially in a sport like baseball when there are legitimately 20-25 teams that could be in that spot. As opposed to football where there is only a realistic chance for 6-8 teams to be in the final four.
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

In moments like these I always think of that line from the movie Pulp Fiction which probably wouldnt make it past the forum censor, but it falls along the lines of "lets not start patting each others backs just yet".

I will say after our loss on Monday I was convinced we were done and that we werent gonna win the title. And if I was a betting man I'm still not sure we are gonna win 4 of our next 5. But as I said multiple times I was most concerned with how the Stanford game would go. I didnt think our bats could keep up, Stanford had been hitting well, and we'd be going with Little or Reilly who have had some big moments but far too inconsistent. While Little wasn't at his absolute best that we've seen, he pitched really well last night. And if you told me we'd commit 3 errors but only give up 5 runs, I would have taken that in a heartbeat. Bats werent all that great once again but magically scraped out enough runs. Finally got some timely hitting when we needed it most.

Now that we've cleared the Stanford hurdle, I'm definitely feeling better about our chances. I think Rocker will be fired up after a so-so performance in his first game. And if we can pull out the win on Friday, all the pressure will be on state. It's still a tough mountain to climb. Especially if we'll still need to win two games with someone other than Rocker and Leiter starting.
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
DS2001
Rear Admiral

Post by DS2001 »

It was a combination of luck, ineptitude and timely occurrence on BOTH sides that determined the outcome of that game. A confluence of forces colliding. You rarely see something like that in sports.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

fldore wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:16 am In moments like these I always think of that line from the movie Pulp Fiction which probably wouldnt make it past the forum censor, but it falls along the lines of "lets not start patting each others backs just yet".

I will say after our loss on Monday I was convinced we were done and that we werent gonna win the title. And if I was a betting man I'm still not sure we are gonna win 4 of our next 5. But as I said multiple times I was most concerned with how the Stanford game would go. I didnt think our bats could keep up, Stanford had been hitting well, and we'd be going with Little or Reilly who have had some big moments but far too inconsistent. While Little wasn't at his absolute best that we've seen, he pitched really well last night. And if you told me we'd commit 3 errors but only give up 5 runs, I would have taken that in a heartbeat. Bats werent all that great once again but magically scraped out enough runs. Finally got some timely hitting when we needed it most.

Now that we've cleared the Stanford hurdle, I'm definitely feeling better about our chances. I think Rocker will be fired up after a so-so performance in his first game. And if we can pull out the win on Friday, all the pressure will be on state. It's still a tough mountain to climb. Especially if we'll still need to win two games with someone other than Rocker and Leiter starting.
Honestly, I'd break my arm patting ourselves on the back. We're one of the last four teams standing in all of college baseball. If we lose tomorrow, this season was still a success. We don't have to win any more games this year for me to be super proud of what this team has accomplished. The goal every year is a national championship, but its not the only/ultimate measuring stick, speaking for myself.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

So proud of these boys!!!! Never quit!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

We have a great coach, a very young roster still learning how to win, but guess what - we are winning. I love it.
Locked Previous topicNext topic