Today’s Implications vs ut

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Today’s Implications vs ut

Post by Ndorefin »

The cancellation of this game will end up hurting us vs ut....no other way around it. If we end up 1/2 game ahead, today’s game wouldn’t have mattered if we had lost. If that was the case, we would have ended up tied and we win the tiebreaker. If ut ends up 1/2 game ahead, that means we were denied having a chance to equal their record because of the rainout. Not being able to play this game could very well cost us the championship. We have to win one more game than ut to win the championship, the very same situation if we had lost today. If we had won today, they would have had to win one more game than us. As it stands now, if they match our record over the next 6 games, they win the Champioship.

The scenario is reversed for uf....they have to win 2 more games than us over the next 6 games. If we had won today, they could still beat us with 2 more wins over the next 6 games. If we had lost today, they would only have to win one more game than us over the next 6 games.

IT’S COMPLICATED(but, not really).

P.S. Don’t ask about a 3 way tie.....today’s rainout simplifies that scenario!
Last edited by Ndorefin on Mon May 10, 2021 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Re: Today’s Implications vs ut

Post by Commodoredave »

The rainout was almost as bad as a loss for our hopes of winning the SEC. Winning at Ole MS is tough enough with our without Leiter, but now we must win one more than either UT or Arkansas over the last two combined weekends.

I'm of the opinion that this was a failure of our admin and coaches to identify the weather (anyone could see it coming) and play a double header on Saturday. Maybe we didn't want a DH considering the Leiter situation, but by not playing, we have gone from tie-1st to tie-3rd with time running out. I know that our program is measured by results in Omaha, but the kids deserved a chance to win the toughest conference in the country.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Commodoredave wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:35 am The rainout was almost as bad as a loss for our hopes of winning the SEC. Winning at Ole MS is tough enough with our without Leiter, but now we must win one more than either UT or Arkansas over the last two combined weekends.

I'm of the opinion that this was a failure of our admin and coaches to identify the weather (anyone could see it coming) and play a double header on Saturday. Maybe we didn't want a DH considering the Leiter situation, but by not playing, we have gone from tie-1st to tie-3rd with time running out. I know that our program is measured by results in Omaha, but the kids deserved a chance to win the toughest conference in the country.
We still have a chance to win SEC: if we win out or even go 5-1 I think we win SEC.
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

charlestonalum wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:13 am
Commodoredave wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:35 am The rainout was almost as bad as a loss for our hopes of winning the SEC. Winning at Ole MS is tough enough with our without Leiter, but now we must win one more than either UT or Arkansas over the last two combined weekends.

We still have a chance to win SEC: if we win out or even go 5-1 I think we win SEC.
Charleston, I LOVE your optimism!!
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

Unfortunately, if we go 5-1 and ut goes 5-1, they will be the chumps (I mean champs)! We have to win 1 more game than ut to win the East.
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

We have a chance, but we controlled our own destiny at the end of the night Saturday, and we no longer do.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

UT is not going to go 5-1 in their next 6 games, let's just hope we do. And I think it unlikely that Arkansas will go 5-1, but better to win the East and see what happens in the SEC tourney.
egbertsouse
Captain

Post by egbertsouse »

charlestonalum wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:56 pm UT is not going to go 5-1 in their next 6 games, let's just hope we do. And I think it unlikely that Arkansas will go 5-1, but better to win the East and see what happens in the SEC tourney.
Arkansas plays the viles this weekend. Both of them can't go 5-1.
accent grave over the e
vujoe
Vice Admiral

Post by vujoe »

You guys stop blaming others for rainouts. You don't know why decisions were made so stop your irresponsible speculations.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Just need to win out. Regular season. SECT. NCAAT.
Leave no doubters! :D
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

egbertsouse wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:35 am
charlestonalum wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:56 pm UT is not going to go 5-1 in their next 6 games, let's just hope we do. And I think it unlikely that Arkansas will go 5-1, but better to win the East and see what happens in the SEC tourney.
Exactly: that is why I am confident they both will not be 5-1 or better.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

egbertsouse wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:35 am
SoooEeeee ! Pig, pig !
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

vujoe wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:25 am You guys stop blaming others for rainouts. You don't know why decisions were made so stop your irresponsible speculations.
Seriously! In the last six seasons that have finished our coach has gotten us three finals appearances and taken the whole thing home two of those times. I don't think anyone sitting behind a keyboard is qualified to question coach at the decisions. Doesn't mean we can't do it, we just know 1/100th of this guy which he has proven time and again. And one of those CWS title years we finished 3rd in the East, so who really cares about all of this regular season stuff anyway? Not me!
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

I despise the double elimination format of the SEC tournament. The NCAA tourney format is basically already settled, so winning the SEC tourney is not a big deal. My distaste for the SEC tourney is on the wear and tear of your pitching staff. If you don’t get a first round bye, you may have to play a total of 6 games in 6 days. As shaky as our staff has been, tired arms could be a huge problem in the NCAA.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Ndorefin wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:25 pm I despise the double elimination format of the SEC tournament. The NCAA tourney format is basically already settled, so winning the SEC tourney is not a big deal. My distaste for the SEC tourney is on the wear and tear of your pitching staff. If you don’t get a first round bye, you may have to play a total of 6 games in 6 days. As shaky as our staff has been, tired arms could be a huge problem in the NCAA.
resting Leiter this week speaks to the tired arms issue. The SEC tournament is not important, I agree. Finishing first in the East would be more important for NCAA seeding, I suspect, but I am in the group who knows nothing - like most of us.
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

Ndorefin wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:25 pm I despise the double elimination format of the SEC tournament. The NCAA tourney format is basically already settled, so winning the SEC tourney is not a big deal. My distaste for the SEC tourney is on the wear and tear of your pitching staff. If you don’t get a first round bye, you may have to play a total of 6 games in 6 days. As shaky as our staff has been, tired arms could be a huge problem in the NCAA.
I'd be pretty surprised if we see Leiter in Hoover. My paranoia wants to see him have a nice 90 pitch outing in one of the next two weekends, and then set himself up for the regional.
Let the younger guys give it a try and see how far we get. Maybe we can outright slug our way through the SEC tournament.

I'll disagree with a couple of comments here. While the SEC tournament ultimately means little for getting to Omaha, I promise you the kids want to win it. Same as the regular season SEC. It's a big deal for them to be SEC champions. Division? Well that's for teams who haven't been there to get excited about.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Back to who is going to finish best. Arkansas, UT, and us have all now Lost 1 of the final 6. Florida is in the picture now going 2-0 when the rest of us lost a game. Florida and Arkansas play each other so some losses guaranteed there. So this is going to be a heck of a finish if we play the rest like we did today. Hold on...
Locked Previous topicNext topic