Great Read

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Great Read

Post by charlestonalum »

this probably does a lot of the recruiting each year

Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Re: Great Read

Post by Good2BGold »

charlestonalum wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:37 pm

this probably does a lot of the recruiting each year
That is a superb read. Thank you for sharing that, Charlestonalum.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

I just got a little verklempt reading that. I'd like to think that this is the type of gift that keeps on giving.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

An amazing read. Corbin is a baseball genius and a truly outstanding gentleman .
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

I have saved this! Fabulous!!
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

wish I could claim responsibility for finding it but one of my '65 fraternity brothers (who could care less about athletics) sent me the link knowing I do care - so after reading it I knew it would play well on Vandymania.

I think the most amazing fact in the story is that someone we recruited very hard, but lost in the recruitment comes to Vanderbilt as if he had played here. That is special. In other words Corbin is not a sore loser (we seldom get to see that side of him since we win so much.)
vujoe
Vice Admiral

Post by vujoe »

I sent the article to my baseball buddies.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

As are most VU baseball fans, I was somewhat familiar with the interactions with former players -- the fact that they worked out here in the off-season, the comradery they shared, etc. But this in-depth article increased my knowledge level significantly. And it brought to light, once again, what an absolute gem we have in Coach Corbin. His contribution to Vandy Athletics is unmatched in the time I have been a fan (since 1965). His vision, his integrity, his discipline, his organizational skills, his knowledge of the game, his work ethic, his genuine love for the kids, and the game, and the University. I could go on and on. Just wow! Thank you, sir, for who you are and what you do and what you will continue to do.
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

People can't be cloned (yet), and Corbin might not work in Women's Golf, but many of his skills, attributes and attitudes can be taught to, shared with, made a model of for coaches of other VU programs.

IF I were new AD, one of the first things I would do would be to get someone reporting directly to me and put them in charge of developing a program(s) which would aim at building these skills, attributes and attitudes in every program and every support function in the AD.
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
Georgiadore
Captain

Post by Georgiadore »

Thanks for posting - really good!
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Did anyone see the players razzing Corbs (I think it was) Sunday when one of our guys hit a ball down the third base line and he stepped back rather than try to field it. They gave him heck for it and he just turned and gave his best Jethro Gibbs smile. That is closeness.
Locked Previous topicNext topic